Parents Looking for blog/column topic requests!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
So as part of the new chalk bucket, I'm going to be writing a regular(ish) column, the primary goal of which will be to answer technical questions in a way that is accessible to people who aren't technical experts. I want to make the sport more understandable to parents, fans, and other people who are watching from the stands.

That's where I'm hoping you all can come in! Any question about gymnastics technique is fair game. Just ask your questions here, and I will write articles nerding out about them like a Trekkie with a YouTube channel.

Last edited:
The stick question is fairly simple, but I think can serve as a good jumping-off point for discussing the mechanics of a proper landing, so I can definitely do that!

(EDIT: after giving myself a quick refresher on various codes of points descriptions of proper landings and comparing that with the most current research I've found about injury prevention in landings, I take back what I said about this being a simple question; there are multiple rabbit holes we can explore here, and I intend to)

Vault as well, and there may even be more than one articles worth of stuff to explore there.

Last edited:
Oh, one other thing I'd like to add: these technical breakdowns are not restricted to specific skills. If, for example, you want me to write about a specific routine by a college or elite gymnast, that's fair game as well.

Last edited:
I love learning about the evolution of the apparatus routines, it would be interesting to do both men's and womans. Heck even the history of the sport in general. I love that stuff. :)

I'm more of a mechanics/technique nerd than a history nerd, so I don't know if I'd be the best person to delve into this, but I'll add it to my list!

I think the art of the tap swing would be a good one, its behind so much in bars.

Also wrist shifts in different bar elements- free hips, giants, stalders, toe to hand are they the same wrist movement or does it vary by circling skill?

Is a BHS on beam technically different from one on floor? I am guessing hand placement is one element that is different but are there others? I feel like my kids floor bhs and beam bhs look different.

I'd like to see an article about the mechanics of different single bar release moves. And what makes a gymnast more suited for one type than another. My daughter's coach has already talked to them about what release moves they'll start with (of course that might not be what they end up with). I'm curious what goes into that decision.

I’d love to read your take on Chellsie’s comeback. Some of her skills look higher and cleaner than they did eight years ago. Why? What is she doing better? I have my own opinions, I‘d love to read yours.
I haven't followed her very closely; I'd have to spend some time tracking down old videos to compare to her new ones. I'd probably also want to track down interviews with her and her coaches.

Which doesn't mean I won't eventually cover this, but it'll be awhile, since this one will take some significant research on my part.

How about different types of flexibility and how to improve each one
Not my strongest suit, but I can certainly discuss this a bit.

I'd like to see an article about the mechanics of different single bar release moves. And what makes a gymnast more suited for one type than another. My daughter's coach has already talked to them about what release moves they'll start with (of course that might not be what they end up with). I'm curious what goes into that decision.
My experience training high-level bars is very limited, but I'm happy to write about what I do know. I can definitely write about mechanics, but as for what goes into the decisions about which athletes should train which releases, I'm not sure I have enough expertise to weigh in on that process.

I have Several technical Yuerchenko questions . We (untrained parents) often hear about blocking, or lack there of, as the reason that some kids can get off the table quickly and with good height while others struggle. I was wondering if you could walk through the mechanics of a “good” flipping yuerchenko..what parts of performing that vault are the biggest factors in the ability to achieve a good block off the table. Then, When kids are first competing this vault (flipping tucks or pikes ) I have often noticed that even the vaults that appear, to the untrained eye, high enough to successfully land upright end with the gymnast crumpled in the chest down, butt out squat position. Why?

Then in your “landings” blog maybe you can address the often seen landing with chest down butt out position in general.

I think a general discussion of deductions would be helpful to a lot of people getting started. What is the difference between major/minor deductions, and maybe identify some of the things that people find harder to recognize when they're new to the sport. Hops on landings/out of bounds/falls are visible to people attending their first meet. Cast angle deductions are not.

I also think a lot of people with new gymnasts would love a post entitled "why are kips so freaking hard?"

I have Several technical Yuerchenko questions . We (untrained parents) often hear about blocking, or lack there of, as the reason that some kids can get off the table quickly and with good height while others struggle. I was wondering if you could walk through the mechanics of a “good” flipping yuerchenko..what parts of performing that vault are the biggest factors in the ability to achieve a good block off the table. Then, When kids are first competing this vault (flipping tucks or pikes ) I have often noticed that even the vaults that appear, to the untrained eye, high enough to successfully land upright end with the gymnast crumpled in the chest down, butt out squat position. Why?

Then in your “landings” blog maybe you can address the often seen landing with chest down butt out position in general.

Lots of stuff I could address here! I may end up doing a whole series on vault, since there's so much to cover.

I think a general discussion of deductions would be helpful to a lot of people getting started. What is the difference between major/minor deductions, and maybe identify some of the things that people find harder to recognize when they're new to the sport. Hops on landings/out of bounds/falls are visible to people attending their first meet. Cast angle deductions are not.

I also think a lot of people with new gymnasts would love a post entitled "why are kips so freaking hard?"

Both of these are excellent ideas. Thanks, and keep the requests coming!

Maybe also a post on how gymnastics works in usa covering JO NCAA HOPES ELITE TOPS AAU and anything else you can think of.

I probably won't do this one, just because it's such a broad topic and doesn't really have to do with technical aspects of gymnastics. I do appreciate the requests, though!

How to fall safely!!!

My kiddo had a super scary fall last night off a skill she’s done thousands off times, hit every body part on the way down, I was sure she’d broken something. She knows how to “safety roll” out of a skill on floor, and not to put her hands out behind her if falling off the high bar, but other than that, it’s just down to sheer luck

For your vault series, can you address the run? How fast, how many steps, where do the arms go? Lots of gymnasts have unique running styles that look like it would work against them but they seem to have lots of power.
Then, how can a gymnast improve their speed? Extra leg strength? Sprinting on a straight away at a track? Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back