WAG Looking for gyms in Florida for DD to train at on vacation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bajanswife

Proud Parent
She is 10 and training new level 6. She would like to keep up her training while we are on vacation and she also loves to have the opportunity to train at a gym that has pits, as her gym doesn't. Anyone here know of a gym that's receptive to outsiders coming in to train with the team on a one-off basis? I have contacted 2 gyms and wait to hear back from them, but personal recommendations are always great. This would be Aug 10 - 17 in the Pompano Beach general area (anywhere within say a 30 minute drive) and Aug 17 - 23 in Orlando.

PM me if you prefer. Thanks!

I don't want to hijack your thread, but is it common for people to train elsewhere on vacation? and is it common for gyms to be accepting of that? I am just curious.

Our gym is - we have visitors all the time. Just this past week we had a little boy from Scotland training with our boys' team, for example. We learn all sorts of new things from visitors. We had an English girl a few months ago who taught us a fun warm-up routine that her group does - it was a nice change for our girls. DD has also trained at a gym in South Carolina and one in Puerto Rico. It's a good experience.

Pompano - West Broward Gymnastics Academy

Orlando - there's Orlando Metro, but you probably already knew that. If you're talking about the Disney area, then Brandy Johnson's will be closer. Orlando is a sprawling mess with terrible traffic. I'd go with proximity there more than anything else.

Mybuffaloes - My DD's gym has had vacationing team gymnasts at practice many times. They are welcomed and as long as it isn't for more than 2 weeks, is free if charge. If it is more, they come up with a fair charge. We had one girl end up joining the team when she moved here permanently a few years ago. She had been a vacationing gymnast the year before. As many as we've had, must be pretty common. Everyone seems to enjoy it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
We've had several at our gym and I have done it myself when we were out of town right in the middle of season when my Dad passed away. It was a nice escape from the sadness and DD had a meet 2 days after his funeral so it was also rather necessary if she was going to compete at that meet.

It's nice having the experience of training at another gym and we enjoy having visitors too!

yes. and Randy or Gary would have no problem with visiting gymnasts. :)

Not to hijack your original purpose of your thread, but why not just let your child VACATION while on vacation? In all my years in this sport (>15 yrs) , we have never set foot in a gym while on vacation because their little bodies needed the break...just my opinion but at level 6 (or any level) , I wouldn't disrupt my vacation with a gym schedule...and frankly, I needed the break from the daily gym grind...

I agree. Let a vacation be a vacation. A week or two will not hurt anything in the long run. She's 10 , you decide about vacation not her. Enjoy her now before you know it she'll be grown up and you'll wonder what happened. And the memories will be she was at the gym all the time.

I have to say, I agree about taking a break over vacation. We go away for a week at the beginning of the summer and a week at the end and the only gymnastics that happens is flips and such on the beach :) That being said, my daughter does do some conditioning on most days while we are away.

That being said, I know that here in MA, many gymnasts are away from their home gyms visiting Cape Cod for an extended period during the summer and I know the gym there advertises that they are happy to host visiting gymnasts.

I guess if it were my daughter visiting Disney, however, that would be her priority over going to practice, lol!!

Agree with the gym break. My DD is training level 10 now and a week off a couple times during the off season has not hurt her gymnastics at any level. She conditions while we are away. Vacation is family time and down time for all of us!

Our gym has had visitors but those girls were here for extended periods (2-3 weeks).

Our gym has had visitors but those girls were here for extended periods (2-3 weeks).

Yeah, the visitors our gym has had have been folks here for 2-6 weeks, so it is good to have that option rather than conditioning on own for that amount of time. We have had folks from the US, but also visitors from Mexico, France and Italy too. It's nice for the girls and we've enjoyed their stays a lot.

Not to hijack your original purpose of your thread, but why not just let your child VACATION while on vacation? In all my years in this sport (>15 yrs) , we have never set foot in a gym while on vacation because their little bodies needed the break...just my opinion but at level 6 (or any level) , I wouldn't disrupt my vacation with a gym schedule...and frankly, I needed the break from the daily gym grind...

maybe because gymnastics where she is at is nowhere near the intensity as it is here in the states and other countries. when they visit from the Carribean, they truly enjoy the experiences here and they "take back" a large amount of information that they use in their programs.

and then there are the programs here in the states that are deficient in some areas. the same thing as above takes place when those athletes return to their home gym. it can be a good thing, and of course if the athlete is all in so to speak, then it can be a great thing. :)

Maybe here in the US the intensity should be on academics. Maybe we wouldn't rank 25th in math,17th in science and14th in reading in the world.

oh brother. you must be a new dad. you obviously don't know about NCAA Academic All American Award & Team award and which sports athletes lead the pack. Gymnasts are some of the smartest athletes on the planet and are not the cause, or a part of, the info you have posted above.

have a good day. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back