Parents Looking for ideas for team bonding activities

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NY Dad

Proud Parent
I believe that my dd overexerted herself playing with her friends at the hotel the day/night before her meet.

There are several weeks before my dd’s next meet that will require an overnight stay. I was hoping to build on Flippin A’s great idea:
… come up with a non-physical bonding experience to suggest to the team (maybe bring a board game from home? A favorite movie? Non-gymnastics talent show? Something like that.) That way they can all make sure they're well rested but your DD doesn't miss out on team bonding time.

The activities could be for just her good friends or for a larger group (for anyone that’s interested).

Does anyone have any additional ideas?

I don’t know the schedule yet. It’s possible that we’ll arrive at night and her meet will be early the next morning, or we could get there a day early to cheer on her teammates. Either way, I like being prepared.

Thanks

Dinner (or a meal depending on timing), let the gymmies have their own table. Our kids love that. And its what we usually do. Visit a local area attraction. Is there a children's museum, aquarium or zoo nearby. This year States is in Buffalo. I was hoping for a group trip to Niagra Falls. I just don't think with the schedule and the age groups, we will be able to get the whole team together. So it will likely be just breakfast as a group.

Bowling. Crafts depending on age. Build your own ice cream sundaes........ Pizza, popcorn and a movie......................

Dinner (or a meal depending on timing), let the gymmies have their own table. Our kids love that. And its what we usually do. Visit a local area attraction. Is there a children's museum, aquarium or zoo nearby. This year States is in Buffalo. I was hoping for a group trip to Niagra Falls. I just don't think with the schedule and the age groups, we will be able to get the whole team together. So it will likely be just breakfast as a group.

Bowling. Crafts depending on age. Build your own ice cream sundaes........ Pizza, popcorn and a movie......................
I would have to say no to the bowling...you can get really really sore if you're not used to the motion. Ask me how I know ;) DD felt the same so it wasn't just because I'm out of shape (which I sadly am).

Team dinner is always a winner. Depending on the age, making slime, playing with slime, making videos of slime :p

Second the meal and letting the kids sit together at their own table. They love that! Depending on how big your team is, someone may need to find a place and make reservations in advance.

As for an activity, what about one of those pottery painting places? Very low key. For a weekend, though, you may need to make reservations of some type or book a party to make sure they can accommodate your group if you have a large group.

Group activities are always fun for both kids and parents. The suggestions you received are good ones. Regarding a meal — the girls feel so grown up when they get to sit at their own table. Not to be Debbie Downer but if you are looking for this activity to be in lieu of pool time it may backfire on you. Kids and hotel pools go together like peanut butter and chocolate if you know what I mean. Every group kid trip I’ve been on - no matter the sport or reason for travel — the kids just want to be in the pool and the parents are usually happy to oblige because it’s pretty chill and gives parents lots of time to chat.

Our gym has always encouraged us to have activities that do not involved other sports -- no skating, bowling, rock climbing, etc.

We have done other things, though -- group Hibachi dinner/dim sum/fondu (a meal outside the ordinary), a trip to the local tulip fields for picking flowers and taking pictures, an outing to the arboretum, a day at the zoo, a painting class (the type where they all pain the same picture on a canvas), volunteering together at a local 10K, working a cleanup the local park day. These don't work into a meet weekend, so much as bonding activities to do outside of meet season. And i realize some of these work much better for teen gymnasts as opposed to younger kids.

Going out to eat with her friends is still my gymnasts favorite thing to do before or after a meet. The kids get their own table and they have a blast (she is 8 and her teammates are 6-11 ish).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back