looking for moms of level 9/10 gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Blue socks, I interpreted it the same way as you. And that's precisely why - if bookworm hadn't asked - I probably would have.
Why would you require a child to go to college if their desired future career didn't require it? Or why would you require a child to pursue only a career that required a degree??

There's not much you can do without a degree. Work at McDonalds? Pump gas? Be a cashier at Macy's? Minimum wage jobs basically. If you want a career, you have to get a degree of some sort, with very rare exceptions. (Funny though, coaching is one of those things you can make into a career without a degree). And if you look at the economy today, many people with degrees are having trouble finding work!

There's not much you can do without a degree. Work at McDonalds? Pump gas? Be a cashier at Macy's? Minimum wage jobs basically. If you want a career, you have to get a degree of some sort, with very rare exceptions. (Funny though, coaching is one of those things you can make into a career without a degree). And if you look at the economy today, many people with degrees are having trouble finding work!

In Our country (Happyfacetwin and myself) it is different. College does not equal good job, there are many many good jobs you can get without college which pay very very well. Many which pay better than jobs which require tertiary degree's.

Tertiary education is not considered essential, nor is it a general education. Colleges and university courses are very specific and only teach what is required for a certain job, so generally you only go to university or college if you want a specific job which requires a specific set of skills which they teach.

On another interesting note, do they really employ people to pump gas in the US? We have to pump our own gas here, I have only ever seen it on TV where someone comes and pumps the gas for you.

On another interesting note, do they really employ people to pump gas in the US? We have to pump our own gas here, I have only ever seen it on TV where someone comes and pumps the gas for you.

Sort of a regional thing. In most of the US you pump your own gas, though.

I know of a few gas stations in more expensive areas of a big city where you can have someone pump your gas. I assume those workers are some of the same who change oil and work in the service part of the station. I have to admit pumping gas is a chore I could live without.

There's not much you can do without a degree. Work at McDonalds? Pump gas? Be a cashier at Macy's? Minimum wage jobs basically. If you want a career, you have to get a degree of some sort, with very rare exceptions....

Really? Down here there's really not that many occupations where you have to be degree-qualified.
And having an unrelated degree would not only NOT be an asset, but often you'd have wasted time you could have been getting actual work experience relevant to your field.
Obviously doctors, nurses, psycs, teachers, architects, chartered accountants, engineers, dentists, etc have one degree in their specific field.
But most people I know who earn the big $s have no degree whatsoever - although admittedly some earn so much due to overtime etc rather than their occupation per se - I'm thinking customs and quarrantine officers, emergency services (incl. fire fighters, police, paramedics, pilots, flight attendants, seniors in banking, management in the retail sector, property developers, people working in TV (directors, camara men, etc), builders/plumbers/electricians/etc, ... would a degree be an asset for those sort of occupations in the US??
In fact some of our degree qualified workers are the worst paid - and really do it for the passion not pay - like child care workers and social workers.
Maybe you should consider moving down under - I think our unemployment rate is not so bad as yours too ... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
THis thread is so far off track that it makes me laugh whenever I look at it. Is it possible to slide it back over tot the OP's subject.

You can start a new thread in off topic to discuss college culture and gas pumping in different contries!!!

THis thread is so far off track that it makes me laugh whenever I look at it. Is it possible to slide it back over tot the OP's subject.

You can start a new thread in off topic to discuss college culture and gas pumping in different contries!!!

Sorry, Bog. :sorry:

Moving the cultural discussion elsewhere :D...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back