Parents Looking for quick, easy to pack, healthy, non-messy snacks for energy during gymnastics practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They also sell reuseable pouches you can fill yourself so you're not creating so much trash. We use ours for applesauce and yogurt.

What brand is that? I cringe when I think of how many applesauce packets we are throwing into the landfill!

We have Yummi Pouch brand and they have a neoprene sleeve you can also buy to insulate them. There's room in the sleeve for a tiny ice block, too.

Or, if you just search on Amazon for "reusable pouch" there are a lot of good choices.

It's a slight annoyance to have to clean them, but it's satisfying at the same time knowing your being conscientious.

We have Yummi Pouch brand and they have a neoprene sleeve you can also buy to insulate them. There's room in the sleeve for a tiny ice block, too.

Or, if you just search on Amazon for "reusable pouch" there are a lot of good choices.

It's a slight annoyance to have to clean them, but it's satisfying at the same time knowing your being conscientious.
We have one. The cleaning of it was very annoying...and when I found a bit of mold in the nozzle, we scrapped the idea and decided if this is the one area we waste knowingly, so be it. We recycle everything else known to man...

Our gym does have a quick ~10min snack/bathroom break for the boys team. My little guy really likes pretzels, veggie straws, cheese sticks, carrots/grapes, watermelon cubes

My DS (9) practices 4:30-8:30 with no break. He was used to getting a meal break at his old gym so it took some adjustment, but we've worked it out. He gets a substantial snack/light dinner on the way to practice (usually quick stuff like Greek yogurt or a turkey sandwich; if I have more time, I'll make him something hot like mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, or chicken soup and bring it in a thermos) and another light snack on the way home (things like babybel cheese, carrots, pretzels, always chocolate milk). He keeps some raisins or grapes in his gym bag to grab a quick bite when he's changing stations.

He's been able to keep his energy up and isn't starving when he gets home. I do worry that he doesn't get enough calories on practice evenings, but he eats well overall.

I can't believe all the gyms out there that practice for 4 hours with NO snack break. That seems crazy to me.

As for us we pack veggies, protein bars, various fruits, apple sauce and either goldfish or veggie straws. DS (6) usually need something substantial before practice. DD (8) usually eats her dinner after practice which ends at 8. Just my 2 cents.

Fruit, nuts, trail mix, diced meats- that's common at my girls gyms. Those are quick and easy, and not too messy. At three hours for practices, I would be surprised if there was a regular snack break though. My kids didn't see regular snack breaks till they hit the four hour mark. My ODDs new gym goes 4.5 hours some days and still no break. The girls do shove a quick bite into their mouths between rotations when they need it. We've also had gyms that had restrictions and recommendations on snacks allowed at the gym, so make sure there is no official guidance on the subject.

Fruit, nuts, trail mix, diced meats- that's common at my girls gyms. Those are quick and easy, and not too messy. At three hours for practices, I would be surprised if there was a regular snack break though. My kids didn't see regular snack breaks till they hit the four hour mark. My ODDs new gym goes 4.5 hours some days and still no break. The girls do shove a quick bite into their mouths between rotations when they need it. We've also had gyms that had restrictions and recommendations on snacks allowed at the gym, so make sure there is no official guidance on the subject.
Mine has no real break in 4 hours either, which is why the squeezable fruits/vegs kick butt because they can be sucked down while getting grips, etc from locker.

There is no official snack break at my boy's practice, which is 2.5 hours for my level 6 son and 3 for level 7. (Longer on Saturdays)
But I tell my boys that if they ever feel like they need fuel, they are to TAKE a break and eat something and if they get any grief from the coach (this has never happened) I will back them up 100%. My youngest listens to his body and he will usually eat at least part of his bar while on a 'water' break. My oldest is too much of a rule stickler and often saves his bar for the ride home. Well he nearly fainted at practice recently, it was a very hot evening in the gym, and he drank a ton of water but did not eat his snack. He had had dinner before practice as usual, so that was not the problem. He came home shaking and reported having tunnel vision at practice. Not good. Milk and a snack fixed him right up but still it was scary. But it was a good lesson.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back