Parents Looking for recommendations in Oregon and Washington State.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tpMom

Proud Parent
Hi all, my DD is a Level 6 gymnast currently training level 7 with hopes of making it to 8 this year. She recently, suddenly and unexpectedly, lost two absolutely beloved coaches to a competing gym, and she (along with her optional teammates) is left without many options for the foreseeable future. The closest gym option is about 90 miles away from our home, and the closest high level optional program is another 60 miles from there.

Her father and I have been talking about relocating for a while now, and it's starting to feel like it might be the right time. While we wouldn't be moving specifically for gymnastics, finding a new gym will definitely influence the decision if that's what we end up doing.

We're mostly focusing on coastal or Western Oregon or Washington. I've done a ton of research on mymeetscores so I know which gyms are training successful Optional gymnasts, but that doesn't tell me much about the environment of the gyms. So I'm hoping to hear from families who attend gyms in Eugene, Portland, or possibly Seattle and surrounding areas.

DD is a tough kid. She performs well under pressure and has worked hard for a demanding and not always nice coach. But she's also completely heartbroken and raw from the perceived desertion of people she's trusted for a lot of years. If we end up moving, I would really love to find her a program with happy, healthy kids, and a supportive strong coach she can trust.

If anybody has any gym recommendations or experiences in the areas we're looking at that they wouldn't mind sharing (on this thread or in a PM), I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

I can't really speak to the environment of the gyms in the Portland and Seattle area, but the PNW is awesome and you should move here. :p

I can't really speak to the environment of the gyms in the Portland and Seattle area, but the PNW is awesome and you should move here. :p
Thank you! That makes me feel so happy, haha. I feel very drawn to the PNW - I really hope that we can make it happen.

I'm in Seattle, and we've been at a couple different gyms, but I can't speak to the optional experience. I hope you come here, though! If you're not already in Region 2, that may take some adjustment. I keep hearing that we're more laid back. Not that we don't take gymnastics seriously; there are just fewer super competitive gyms with goals of creating elite athletes and fast-tracking 5-year-olds. Hopefully that means that there's also less of a "mean coach" culture (though they certainly exist).

I'm in Seattle, and we've been at a couple different gyms, but I can't speak to the optional experience. I hope you come here, though! If you're not already in Region 2, that may take some adjustment. I keep hearing that we're more laid back. Not that we don't take gymnastics seriously; there are just fewer super competitive gyms with goals of creating elite athletes and fast-tracking 5-year-olds. Hopefully that means that there's also less of a "mean coach" culture (though they certainly exist).
Thanks! We are not in Region 2 but our area is not super competitive either. Your description of the region sounds exactly like what my daughter needs- a healthy, relaxed atmosphere where she can train to her potential without constant pressure to be a superstar.

She puts a ton of pressure on herself, and we're learning in the aftermath of her coach leaving that she hasn't been very happy in the gym for a while. This sounds silly (or worse) but we just figured she was a serious kid who loved the gym but looked at it like work instead of fun.

This is still partially true, but this week she's been coached by some former teammates and some of the lower level coaches while the gym looks for a new head coach, and it's literally the happiest I've seen her in 2 years. She definitely wants to compete and she's serious about doing well, but she said to me yesterday that she didn't know Optionals practice could be so much fun. PLUS she's actually picking up skills she's been struggling with for a long time.

If anything, this experience has taught me that she isn't just a serious little gymnast, and it's reminded me that she's just a little girl. A little girl with big dreams yes, but a little girl first and most importantly. If we end up relocating, it's more important to me than ever that we find her a gym where she can remember that she's still a kid, where she can laugh and enjoy herself, even if it means she doesn't always stand on the top of the podium in the youngest age brackets of every meet.

Not sure if you saw the conversation I started with you but I love our gym— south of Seattle. I think most gyms in this area have pretty decent cultures. Let me know if you want more specifics.

Not sure if you saw the conversation I started with you but I love our gym— south of Seattle. I think most gyms in this area have pretty decent cultures. Let me know if you want more specifics.
Hi! I didn't see your message until just now, I had an amazing response from Chalkbucket families in the PNW and somehow missed your message. I'll reply to your message as soon as I can get to a computer. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

I have to say, I have been blown away by the number of responses I've gotten, and the kind, detailed, extremely helpful advice/recommendations. This community is such an incredible resource!

I have to say, I have been blown away by the number of responses I've gotten, and the kind, detailed, extremely helpful advice/recommendations. This community is such an incredible resource!

Thank you! We’ve recently had some changes and we appreciate everyone’s support. Please stay around and join in our discussions.

Hi all, I am in the same situation as the OP. If any of you have advice or insight on gyms in the Portland area, I would greatly appreciate it! TIA

Depends on what part of town you are in but in general I would look at Westside, OMEGA, and Naydenov.
Thank you for the recommendations! Not sure exactly where we will land yet, but close enough to downtown that a work commute won’t be too terrible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back