Parents Looking for some Gymnastic chapter/fiction books for my 8 y.o.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jen H.

Proud Parent
Hi all,

My middle daughter is a Dev. 5 gymnast who is looking forward to competing in her first upcoming season.
Jaden is not a great reader, and we have had a difficult time finding books that hold her interest.
I recently found the "The little Gymnast" by Sheila Haigh, and we have been enjoying it-even though it is a bit dated.
As my title says, I am looking for some chapter/fiction books recommendations that are about Gymastics.
TIA! :)
Jen

I remember reading "The Gymnasts" series by Elizabeth Levy when I was young. It seems like a million years ago but I remember just loving the books even though I did not do gymnastics. I was also a big fan of "The Babysitters Club" and "Sweet Valley High/Twins" series as well and this fit right in with those as I remember. Might be tough to find them though, I can't imagine they're still in print.

I was also going to say that I read "The Gymnasts" series as a kid. I think there were about 20 in the series. I read them several times. There are several used copies on Amazon where you'll probably pay more for postage than you will for the actual book.

Try half.com- for cheap used and out of print books. My DD (7) likes:

"The Rainbow Magic Fairies" Series- there are TONS of them and they are age appropriate- there's even one with a gymnastics theme.

"The Boxcar Children" also has a gymnastics theme book in their series

There's a book called "Lily's Lucky Leotard" at our library it's pretty cute

"The Gymnasts" series is one I hear a ton about too

Do a search on Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and Half.com for gymnastics and see what comes up-- a lot will be non-fiction-- more like "how to" or technique books, but there are a few stories for kids out there mixed in.

there is also Gym Rats, I've seen someone post about it before. It's a relatively new series, Amazon says there are 7 books now.

MY girls both loved THe Gymnasts series by ELizabeth Levy. We bought all of them used on ebay one or a few books at a time. When my girls grew out we passsed them onto a little gymmie from here who we love.

They are a bit old fashioned, but are nice stories and of course all about gymnastics.

THe Gym Rats series is written by a Chalkbucket member Mary Reiss. Gym Rats As far as I know she has just releaseed book two in the series "Toe Jam".

I am going to look into The Gymnast, thought it might be fun to read to DD. And yes you are correct, Gym Rats only has two, looks like the second is being released on the 17th. Not sure where I read 7....maybe it was a different book. But those look good too.

My DD read the first in the Gym Rats series and, even though it was really "too young" for her (she's 10 and finished it in under 2 hours) she really enjoyed reading it. She's not really one to sit and read (who am I kidding... she's not one to SIT and do anything...) so anything that captures her attention is a good thing, so I'm ordering her the 2nd one in the series too. She also read The Perfect Gymnast by Michele Martin Bossley, but it's not a series. I would love to see a series of gymnastics fiction for the tween/early teen age group that maybe addresses topics like missing out on things to be in the gym, injuries, eating disorders, pressure of meets, winning, losing, jealousy... that kind of thing... the good and the bad of being a gymnast. Any aspiring authors out there?

My daughter is also a non-reader. She did like reading the book Good Luck, Ivy. It is an American Girl book and is all about gymnastics and Ivy having to choose between doing a gymnastics meet or a family reunion/party. It definitely hits on the theme of missing out on things you want to do because of gym.

Our booster club is selling a new series out at our meet coming up--they are published by Iris Blu Publishing and there are two books out so far: Basic Training (book 1) and Toe Jam (book 2). I'm not sure where you can buy them though! The sample chapter I read looked pretty good anyway.

Our booster club is selling a new series out at our meet coming up--they are published by Iris Blu Publishing and there are two books out so far: Basic Training (book 1) and Toe Jam (book 2). I'm not sure where you can buy them though! The sample chapter I read looked pretty good anyway.

THese are the Gym RAts series discussed upthread. Nice to see clubs promoting them.

THese are the Gym RAts series discussed upthread. Nice to see clubs promoting them.

Really? The publisher said the second one just came out and I thought someone said there were 7 in the Gym Rat series.

No if you read through the thread you will see that person says they were mistaken.

You caught me--I didn't read the whole thread! And it IS the Gym Rat series--just got the books yesterday. My 13 yr old (who is beyond the age they're intended for) looked through one and says it's very good and realistic :)

Thank you all for all the suggestions, I have checked them out and very happy to find that their are some great choices out there! :)

Thank you to all of you with the positive comments about Gym Rats! I really appreciate it.

As for this comment, "I would love to see a series of gymnastics fiction for the tween/early teen age group that maybe addresses topics like missing out on things to be in the gym, injuries, eating disorders, pressure of meets, winning, losing, jealousy... that kind of thing... the good and the bad of being a gymnast. Any aspiring authors out there?" I'm happy to deliver!

Thanks again, everyone!

Thank you to all of you with the positive comments about Gym Rats! I really appreciate it.

As for this comment, "I would love to see a series of gymnastics fiction for the tween/early teen age group that maybe addresses topics like missing out on things to be in the gym, injuries, eating disorders, pressure of meets, winning, losing, jealousy... that kind of thing... the good and the bad of being a gymnast. Any aspiring authors out there?" I'm happy to deliver!

Thanks again, everyone!

Great news Mary. We get so many posts asking for Gymnastics fiction for children, it is lovely to see the niche being filled so well. AS you see there is a great market for them.

Very interesting. My DD (6 yrs) loves to read. She is stuck on Junie B. Jones books right now. Thank goodness for the county library..lol. I was wanting to get her some books for Christmas (as a gift from her brother, or a stocking stuffer kinda thing) and was kinda lost on what kind to get her. She has just about read poor Junie out..lol. I have often wondered about gymnastics books and all I had found would have been way over her head. These might be a little bit too "advanced" for her. She is in 1st grade but reads at a 2nd grade level. Did I mention, she LOVES to read? LOL. I could sit down with her and we could read them together if she struggles too much. Then as time goes by, Mommy can just sit and she can read them to me..lol. I think I might look into getting both of these series. The gymnasts, and Gym Rats. Gives me plenty of time between now and Christmas to see what I can get my hands on. Thanks for starting this thread..it was very helpful.

Thanks again, everyone!

Great! I hope you will keep us informed of any new books you have coming out. And I'm sure that there are lots of kids in the chalk bucket community (well... kids of parents in the chalk bucket community... and teens who are IN the community) who would be happy to tell you their stories and give you their perspectives if you need material!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back