Parents Looks like we're done

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for their support. It really means a lot to me knowing I have so many people behind us on this. I met with the owner and the coach last night, without Olivia there. They both wanted to make sure she was doing this for the right reasons, was she sure, maybe go back to level 6, cut back on hours, blah, blah. I said she seemed sure to me. But, I did agree to let her go in and talk to the coach. Originally I said I'd take her in tomorrow but I think I'm going to wait a week. Give her more time to think about things.

Someone asked if I saw this coming. In one word ~ NO! Seriously, she never gave us any indication she wasn't happy. She had her first level 7 meet, had to scratch floor which may have bothered her more than she let on but she never said so to me. She actually made light of the situation by saying she got a perfect score on floor! She is only 9 years old and has been doing gymnastics for 6 years, 3.5 of them on team. I'm as baffled as most people are but it is what it is. She needs to follow her heart and I just don't think her heart's in it anymore. But, this too may change. The owner was very gracious and really understood. She had 2 daughters in the sport and knows what they go through. So, they'll always be there in the future if she wants to return.

The more I think about this the more I think it's the right thing and she'll do great at whatever she decides to do.

Netty--I didn't realize Olivia was still so young--9 years old is the age my dd started gymnastics. You are a very smart, wise and supportive parent through all of this--Olivia is so lucky to have you! I am sure she will find something else--the world literally is her oyster--she will excel at anything she chooses because she has the parental back-up and support needed. Good luck and please stay around--we would love to hear from you now and then :).

Congrats on the next phase of her life.

subliminal message ... swimming

or diving or dance team :). I bet Olivia would make a beautiful ballerina--she already has the strength and flexibility from gymnastics and age 9 is perfect for learning the technique and training for pre-pointe ;).

or diving or dance team :). I bet Olivia would make a beautiful ballerina--she already has the strength and flexibility from gymnastics and age 9 is perfect for learning the technique and training for pre-pointe ;).

She's already expressed an interest in diving. Some friends of hers that are former gymnasts do it and they love it. So, I've already been in touch with a couple different clubs so we'll check them out. I asked her about dance, she didn't seem to excited. But it's only been a week. I think she'd be a beautiful ballerina, too. We'll see. She may also try theater. She's quite the actress at home. Where we live there are a lot of opportunities. Of course, no matter what she does, it's a drive for me. We live in the boonies and all the activities are down near the cities, about 15-20 miles away. But, doesn't matter, I'll take her wherever she wants to go! :cool:

I'll bet diving clubs would welcome her with open arms. She already knows how to twist, pike and tuck. Also, she's in great physical shape. There are basics(like any sport) she'd need to work on, but gymnasts do seem to make a quick transition to diving. I think the hardest thing is to teach themselves that in diving you want to land on your head!

She's already expressed an interest in diving. Some friends of hers that are former gymnasts do it and they love it. So, I've already been in touch with a couple different clubs so we'll check them out. I asked her about dance, she didn't seem to excited. But it's only been a week. I think she'd be a beautiful ballerina, too. We'll see. She may also try theater. She's quite the actress at home. Where we live there are a lot of opportunities. Of course, no matter what she does, it's a drive for me. We live in the boonies and all the activities are down near the cities, about 15-20 miles away. But, doesn't matter, I'll take her wherever she wants to go! :cool:

That's great that Olivia is open to new ideas! I know what you mean about the ballet--Dani didn't seem too interested at first, but totally got the "acting/drama" bug when she did her first stage performance of the Nutcracker. Since ballet performances have no speaking parts, it is imperative that the dancers know how to "act and perform" to get the story across to the audience. Dani has so much fun and absolutely loves it! So, while ballet can be boring at times, the performances are very dramatic and exciting!

I must say, at first I was sad and upset about Olivia's news, but now I am getting very excited for her because she has so many new opportunities waiting for her. It's like starting all over on something brand new!

Md, I totally agree, when my oldest stopped there were very few things for her to take up instead. I think having so many great choices is wonderful, she can try many things and maybe she will find a new passion. Netty can tell us all about it, and we can live vicariously through her!

Netty I'm sorry to hear about Olivia being so stressed out. Our daughter never gave us any indications she wanted to quit until the day she actually told us.
You probably remember her. She quit last May. Had nagging injuries 8 month out of the last year in gym.She still does not regret quitting and she also doesn't regret doing gym for 6 years.Said this is new chapter in her life now.
Recently went back to see her old team mates at their Mock meet.All of the girls were so happy to see her.
She is mostly free of pain now and competed Track last summer which was so fun.Only 2 days a week and low pressure. Placed second in the triple jump at the association meet for USATF.
Olivia will have no problem doing any other sport having been a gymnast.
Glad to hear her stomach already feels better.
Wishing you well.Don't be a stranger.

Wow, she's only 9?? She still has so many prospects in life. I hope she finds something she loves and no longer has stomach pain. I've found that gymnasts are usually good at any sport they try, so she will probably be the star on whatever team she lands on.:)

Hi all,

I just wanted to report that Olivia is still pain free. All of the blood tests they ran came back negative so I guess it must've been the gym. I asked her again last night if she was sure about being done, she said 'yes', just like that. She has enjoyed a very stress-free couple of weeks and it's been nice to be at home with her dad and her brother. I'll be taking her to a local diving club next week, so we'll see what transpires! The area youth theater is on a break until the middle of January but I'll be calling them, too.

I will definitely keep you all posted. :)

Netty

My dd transitioned from gymnastics to diving and loves it (she still does low key aau gym).

It is so much less stressful on your joints than gymnastics and my dd says that it is more social because you can talk more inbetween dives!:) She was always talking too much at gymanstics:rolleyes:

I know NOTHING about diving, so take this with a grain of salt. I ended up talking to a swim coach as some function or another and I said something about Kathy doing gymnastics and about how I had heard that gymnasts sometimes transition to diving. He told me that diving was a "dying sport" because most places could no longer afford the insurance... that it was just too dangerous and that every serious diver has had head injuries from hitting the board... like what you hear about with repetitive head injuries in football (though that sport's not going anywhere anytime soon! :p). I have no idea if this is true, and if you've been talking to diving clubs, then they must still exist in your area. I'm just throwing it out there...

I do not know too much about diving but I am sure it no more dangerous than gymnastics. Gymnastics seems really tough on the body, I know my daughter has had suffered stress fx of the wrists and heel pain and you have talked about Olivia having injuries too. I think if she wants to try it go for it, I think swimming is a great sport if she decides to also try that, I let my daughter who is a gymnast join the swim team with her sister this year who swims and she picked it real fast since she has alot of upper body strength. I am sure Olivia will be great in any sport she tries and if down the road she decides to go back to gymnastics she is so young that it would work out. I know there is a prep op program in Pa and alot of gyms practice less hours and it is less competitive. I was talking to a friend whose daughter does this at her gym along with cheerleading and she really likes it. It is good to hear she is feeling better and enjoying herself

It is hard to find a diving program because it is hard to get insurance. I understand that it is not because of diving programs, but because of kids/ adults playing aroud, jumping off the high dive without the skills, etc. I have never seen anyone working with a dive coach do anything dangerous or sustain aninjury. I'm sure it happens, but I doubt at a higher rate than other sports. DD's dive coach said every college has an NCAA dive program and leaves schoilarship money on the table every year for lack of athletes.

The dive program we're looking into won't let her even try it without getting her registered first so they'll be covered under their insurance, under the KIDS Diving program. It only cost $12.50 for the limited membership so we're doing that. Until she's ready or wants to compete, that's all we'll need. There are actually several different diving programs in my area. I know a lot of the school districts still have swimming and diving teams. Of course, our district doesn't have it but several surrounding ones do. She'll be trying it for the first time this Saturday so I'll be back to give you all an update!

Glad to hear that she's found other interests! Can't wait to hear how the diving goes.

Laura Wilkinson was a burned out gymnast that became an Olympic Gold Medalist in diving ( in 2000). She is still diving competitively now in her 30's. You never know where it will lead.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back