Losing the easier skills???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
I am a level 7, and I have been doing a lot of back layouts on floor, not too many back tucks. Now that my layouts are really good...my coach told me to do some backtucks so I don't lose that skill. That is when I realized....I am scared to do a back tuck! It is really bothering me! I will do a tuck on the trampoline at my house, and I think I need to try it on the tumble track at gym. But I can't get myself to do it on floor to save my life! Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

I am a level 7, and I have been doing a lot of back layouts on floor, not too many back tucks. Now that my layouts are really good...my coach told me to do some backtucks so I don't lose that skill. That is when I realized....I am scared to do a back tuck! It is really bothering me! I will do a tuck on the trampoline at my house, and I think I need to try it on the tumble track at gym. But I can't get myself to do it on floor to save my life! Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

I kind get that. Like, if we compete on a non spring floor, I will do a tuck but on a spring floor I'd always do a layout. Once I even sprained an ankle pretty badly on an out of control tuck, because I simply set too high. So I'm not much help her.

What worked for me though is to do technically precise tuck - i.e. set - tuck - open. Basically a back tuck kick out. Do a couple onto a softer surface and then move to the floor.

Also, can you do them at the end of a routine ? For me, when I was kind of exhausted anyway, I never had an issue with tucks;)

I am going through a similar situation as you right now. I have been doing lots of twisting this year and i can barely do a layout anymore. i lost my half a while ago and i havent been able to do a layout for a while now... but i can do a 1 1/2 easily. after trying and trying, i FINALLY got it back yesterday. Just keep trying and you will get it.

If it helps, go back a step. You could try starting with straight jumps, spot, or if you can do a standing back tuck a "stop" connection.

I had that too. With my shoot through. We went without doing them for a few months and then when we got back to doing them I was scared. Same with my backhandspring. I took a break from gymnastics for summer 2008 after getting my standing BHS in March 2008. Then by fall I couldn't do it anymore and it took me 8 months to get it back. I was so mad.

I have that with any skill if I stop doing it for a while and then it just doesn't feel right anymore! It's so annoying!!!:mad:

That has happened to me before. You might want to ask your coach if he or she can put a mat where you land, and think of it this way. Its just like a layout except with bent knees.

it's so irritating when that happens. Don't get frustrates it will come back!
Sometimes I find it helps if I tell myself how many times i've done the skill and have i ever hurt myself? That kind of stuff.
Get your coach to stand there or put a mat where you're going to land.
Good luck! dont't worry! You'll get it back soon:)

My daughter says that she has lost skills. Honestly, I think when the pressure is there she panics and forgets how. Once the pressure is away she will do it. Essentially, she psychs herself out. Skills she has lost-shoot through, front hip circle, robhs on the tumble track(can do it with a spot on the floor, can do it off the tumble track to the mat, but not just on the tumble track. ) All of her skills have come back accept for the robhs on the tumble track. Just stop and breathe a minute. Relax. It is still there. :)

I did get it back finally! My coach pretty much told me that if I didn't get it by Feb., I couldn't compete level 7! She said to try doing it from 2 bhs's, ect. But once she told me that I really needed it to compete, I went :) I LOVE floor now...because I can finally do it without fear issues:)

Exact thing happened to me - once in level 5, I was wornking so many backtucks, that when the time came to do a bhs series, I couldn't do it :)

Lately, I've been working yurchenko tucks, and then I soon realized, I can't do a handspring. XD

haha! i know what you mean! i tried doing a front hip circle the other day and it was a total fail!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back