WAG Lots of dance in choreography, good or bad?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
I have a question for those who have experience, or judging perspective.
DD new floor routine has a lot of dance. It is good, and very much reflects her personality and she has plenty of time to really practice and make it good.
My question is, does the dance factor ADD to the quality, (and score) of a routine? I have seen many optional routine that have some fluff but otherwise get straight to the point with the skills and those score fine too.....

Obviously, I understand that if the kid can't handle the dance, it may not look good and her score may suffer......but I don't think this is case since the routine was really tailor made to her strengths....

My question is does the dance composition improve the overall score, and can it actually compensate for less than perfect skills?

My question is, does the dance factor ADD to the quality, (and score) of a routine?

While I know the JO program is obviously wonderful and the success of the USA gymnastics proves it, I still have an issue with the 10 system.

As it has been explained to me, nothing will ADD to the score. As long as you have all the required elements, you start at a 10 and only go down from there. So any moves in the routine are subject to deduction if toes aren't pointed, arms extended, etc.

But as a parent and spectator i love to watch the routines with that little bit extra.

Reactions: sce
Dance alone cannot compensate for less than perfect skills. Judges look for everything. For example, if you are looking at less than perfect tumble passes, deductions will be applied to the artistry- creativity and originality of her choreography in connecting her elements. They may deduct up to .1 on her quality of movement, expression and focus as well as the rest of the compositional deductions- lack of balance between the tumbling and dance etc. execution, incorrect footwork etc and so much more.
A gymnast needs to meet all requirements for an awesome floor :)

I have a question for those who have experience, or judging perspective.
DD new floor routine has a lot of dance. It is good, and very much reflects her personality and she has plenty of time to really practice and make it good.
My question is, does the dance factor ADD to the quality, (and score) of a routine? I have seen many optional routine that have some fluff but otherwise get straight to the point with the skills and those score fine too.....

Obviously, I understand that if the kid can't handle the dance, it may not look good and her score may suffer......but I don't think this is case since the routine was really tailor made to her strengths....

My question is does the dance composition improve the overall score, and can it actually compensate for less than perfect skills?
Our HC goes with the shorter routine the better. For DD's routine I edited the music because HC wanted her level 7 to be 1:15 no longer. She feels the same about bars and beam no fluff just as clean as possible less chance for unnecessary wobbles. I always hate when I see a bunch of difficult stuff on a mount that results in a fall or huge balance check.

Yes, short.....but still, there is dance ....you can't get around it.
It seems the system here actually puts a gymnast at risk if they put a very dancy routine together.....

My question is more about dancy, versus abrupt kind of waving and flapping....I see a lot of this....
My DDs is very dancy.....a lot of DANCE.....could this hurt?

That's my daughter too and she usually won floor with her very dancy routine. She did not have extra/unnecessary dance elements, just a very classic style with true dance movements.

Our HC goes with the shorter routine the better. For DD's routine I edited the music because HC wanted her level 7 to be 1:15 no longer. She feels the same about bars and beam no fluff just as clean as possible less chance for unnecessary wobbles. I always hate when I see a bunch of difficult stuff on a mount that results in a fall or huge balance check.

Ours too! Lots of up training but competition routines are basic and clean.

I think it depends on the gymnast.

My daughter is not a dance kid. She has very basic choreography but her gymnastics required elements are solid. She places very well.

There are kids on her team with much more choreography (as in dance stuff) they do not place as well. Not because their choreography is hurting them but because their gymnastic required elements are not as good. I love many of their routines and they would not work with my kid. She would be so uncomfortable with the moves it would effect her gymnastics.

Then there are the girls who have solid required elements and more choreography then my daughter. These girls are placing with my girl. But it usually comes down who did the better gymnastics at the meet.

Each girls routine while different suits them and their strengths. It is important they like it and can sell it. Fancy, intricate or not.

If the coach is doing his/her job. They know what works for the kid and shouldn't let the choreography be a distraction for the gymmie and within her capabilities.

The reality is whatever they are doing should be clean and well executed.

And when artistic points are in play. All other things being equal the choreography will count if its done right.

Clear as mud, huh?

It's is clear as mud! I understand that this isn't dance moms! I would imagine that it has to 'work' for the kid.
Over all, all of our girls routines are choreographed very well, with a lot of dance, each quite suited for each girl.

I hope that by the time January rolls around, she will be able to sell it to the best of her ability....
There are no abrupt, choppy moves.... But dance, yes, I'm sure more than I realize!

Munchkin 3; Depending on the Optional Level of USA-G quality of movement, artistry, authenticity, expression and performance are evaluated. Check with your coach as their are deductions specific to the afore mentioned criteria. As you perform in more advanced levels it can have more weight o the score (outcome).

As to "lots," I would have to comment that is subjective. To be more alliterative, it is my tactic to have a collegial (fast paced), chock full of dance movements that support the music and bring attention to the gymnastics (dance(in this case-jumps, leaps and turns) and tumbling). Typically our routines are shorter than the max times, yet are high energy/activity. I choose this tactic for performance, teaching quality movement/dance, challenging my gymnasts to grow in dance/artistry and to better familiarize the athletes to what may be a very typical college FX routine. With quality gymnastics (dance and tumbling), I challenge the gymnasts to put the show on for the audience. Our routines are choreographed for audience appeal. I believe judges are audience also. Sophisticated and knowledgable audience members for certain. Early in the routines maturation, the athletes are developing and learning dance moves, expression as well as the fitness to do a fast paced FX routine w/all of the gymnastics. Our ballet instructor is part of the "team" that assists in developing the gymnast. Each gymnast has dance goals for a season.

I hope I have assisted with your question. It is hard to answer "too" much or less dance. It would have to situational with goals/development/skills and environment. How about approaching it by thinking of the outcome goal? Will the routine be "special" at the end of the season for those special meets? Does the gymnast love or feel real passion for the routine? If yes, how can it be going down the wrong path?

Check with the coach/choreographer/dance personnel.

Best, Short Balding Guy -

All depends on how good the dancer is and the choreographer is! :)

Munchkin 3; Depending on the Optional Level of USA-G quality of movement, artistry, authenticity, expression and performance are evaluated. Check with your coach as their are deductions specific to the afore mentioned criteria. As you perform in more advanced levels it can have more weight o the score (outcome).

As to "lots," I would have to comment that is subjective. To be more alliterative, it is my tactic to have a collegial (fast paced), chock full of dance movements that support the music and bring attention to the gymnastics (dance(in this case-jumps, leaps and turns) and tumbling). Typically our routines are shorter than the max times, yet are high energy/activity. I choose this tactic for performance, teaching quality movement/dance, challenging my gymnasts to grow in dance/artistry and to better familiarize the athletes to what may be a very typical college FX routine. With quality gymnastics (dance and tumbling), I challenge the gymnasts to put the show on for the audience. Our routines are choreographed for audience appeal. I believe judges are audience also. Sophisticated and knowledgable audience members for certain. Early in the routines maturation, the athletes are developing and learning dance moves, expression as well as the fitness to do a fast paced FX routine w/all of the gymnastics. Our ballet instructor is part of the "team" that assists in developing the gymnast. Each gymnast has dance goals for a season.

I hope I have assisted with your question. It is hard to answer "too" much or less dance. It would have to situational with goals/development/skills and environment. How about approaching it by thinking of the outcome goal? Will the routine be "special" at the end of the season for those special meets? Does the gymnast love or feel real passion for the routine? If yes, how can it be going down the wrong path?

Check with the coach/choreographer/dance personnel.

Best, Short Balding Guy -
Thank you SBG.....you have definitely set my mind at ease. I believe this is where our coach is coming from. All the routines cause a stir in the waiting room. Everyone wants to watch......
Hopefully in a few months I can post my DDs.....we will see.
Thanks everyone!!!

I am sure your dd's routine is awesome. And if she is good at ballet and dance moves, more power to her; that is MY dd's weakness, bahaha...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back