Parents Love/Hate relationship of gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tarheel618

Proud Parent
So I have a love/hate relationship with gymnastics and I thought it would be fun to compare the two. So what do you love about the sport and what do you hate about the sport? List one for each.

Love-the confidence it has given my girls
Hate- the cost of the sport.

Love - the strength, grace, self-confidence it creates in the girls/boys
Hate - the cost, both financial and in real hours away from 'childhood' that it demands

Love: DD has found something that she is truly passionate about. The confidence she has gained from the sport is truly a blessing and I can't imagine her life without it.

Hate: Watching beam at meets. Also, those down practice days. I wish it was always sunshine, but it's not the nature of the sport.

And moving on from the down days brings back the love. :)

Love-her excitment sharing a triumph and break through with a new skill

Hate- the time spent away from the family

Just one thing for each???? I'm pretty sure I can't do that!

Love: the rigor of the sport and the physique it inspires; the camaraderie; traveling for meets.

Hate: the hours required; parental competition; mid-February to mid-March.

love: that it has taught my kids that the most worthwhile things to have are those that you've had to work hardest for
hate: maybe we haven't been in this long enough, but not sure I could hate something that has accomplished the above.

Love the fitness she has gained, the self confidence, the friends, the Kudos in school, the work ethic.

as above don't hate anything, dislike some things but if anything made me hate it we wouldn't do it. But we don't have the huge hours commitment you guys in the US seem to have so for us there is life outside of gym

Love: the confidence, the fun, the fact that it is both a team sport and an individual sport, that it is unique. Even the most basic gymnastics skills are ones that most people can't say they know how to do.

Hate: Sometimes I wonder if my other two suffer from the amount of attention that gym gets. I do my best to give everyone a chance to what they love, but I can't help but wonder if the time investment really does bother them. The length of meets. I love watching my DD compete, but meet days are long considering the amount of time your own child competes.

Just one thing for each???? I'm pretty sure I can't do that!

Love: the rigor of the sport and the physique it inspires; the camaraderie; traveling for meets.

Hate: the hours required; parental competition; mid-February to mid-March.

Im curious about this part, I haven't expeience this YET but then we tend to keep to ourselves? What do you see as parental competition?

competition last weekend, team mate has been promoted to next level, team mates mother sidles up to OH and says "OOh didn't "Suzie" do very well yesterday at level X", took me all my strength to hold him down and stop him from saying "yes, much better than your daughter who tanked at level Y"

get it ?

competition last weekend, team mate has been promoted to next level, team mates mother sidles up to OH and says "OOh didn't "Suzie" do very well yesterday at level X", took me all my strength to hold him down and stop him from saying "yes, much better than your daughter who tanked at level Y"

get it ?

OH that would make me so mad. I get it. I have had that happen when we first started but that family is no longer at our gym. I think that is why we started keeping to ourselves at the meets and we don't watch many practices. I tend to hang out with one family during the meets but that is because our kids are really good friends

DD did get a bit upset because she knows she is a better gymnast than the other girl, when she got promoted, I told her she would just have to work harder and move up herself. I did smile inwardly though when I looked at the scores and DD's were much higher, and here we use the open ended fig system so other girls start values were higher.

I tend to gravitate towards sanity

I love that while at the gym my daughter feels empowered to do anything has the confidence to do it and the pride when she's achieved it.

I hate that away from the gym her peers make her feel self confident in herself because her muscles are big (girls should not have big muscles they say) that she is different because she can do things they can't. How I try to tell her she is special and has a gift, one day I hope she'll see it and finally believe me.

So many to choose from for both categories!! lol
Love: the passion and confidence
Hate: cost and family sacrifice

We're still in the early years so I'm sure these will change...

Love: the way my daughter is learning that failing is okay (she was born a major perfectionist), that you just need to get back up, trust your coach and keep working. Most everything comes easily for my daughter so for her to work on her pullover for 2 years before she could do it was a huge life lesson and we talk about that a lot when she comes up on something else that is difficult for her.

Hate: we haven't hit anything to hate yet, although the inane music for compulsaries is really starting to get to me and my daughter isn't even on team yet!

Love - watching my girls grow in confidence and seeing their hard work pay off

Hate - the bad days when they just can't seem to get anything right and their practice drags and they end up feeling sad and rubbish

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back