WAG Low bar to high bar flight

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastbecki

Coach
Gymnast
Recently I learnt a new move on bars where I do a straddle undershoot catch the high bar, I think it's also know as a sole circle catch the high bar. I'm just wondering what is the proper name for this flight element?

And also I know some gymnasts do it with a pike undershoot catch! What is easier, straddle or pike?

Sounds like what our gym calls a toe up (but I know it has other names). You can look for videos on You Tube based on that name to see if it's the same.

If I understand you correctly, our gym calls it a hiccup. There is a thread here not too long ago where this skill was discussed and it had about ten different names.

My daughter does this skill in Level 10. I don't think it matters if it is a straddle or pike. I think it has the same value. My daughter does a straddle.

Yes, it is either a hiccup, toe up or chinese situp.

If you pike you get a little more momentum than from straddle, just like in a sole circle. It is a B skill I guess.

You can also do that like a stalder, so feet not touching the bar, which is a C skill then!

We call it a sole-catch or chinese sit-up. Everyone does it in a pike at my gym, but I can see how a straddle would be easier for those who are less flexible.

Across the US it's known by several names. I've heard it called a "toe-up", "toe-shoot", and a "toe-hect"; not to be confused with a "toe-handstand" that does to a handstand position (like a free-hip or stalder) rather than shooting to the high bar.

For most people the straddle is easier (and I mean feet on the bar in a pike and when you shoot up to the high bar you straddle around) because it allows you to more easily change your body position from piking/shooting upwards to layed out so you can swing after grabbing the bar.

From a judging point of view it doesn't matter whether you do pike or straddle. But at my gym the decision is usually made based on which looks nicer because some people bend their legs in the pike on but not in the straddle or vice versa. It can also depend on height, because sometimes the straddle is easier for taller gymnasts hope that helps

Toe hect. Toe on the bar reverse action hect to the highbar.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back