WAG Lower back pain and a freaking-out gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hopefully, this is a final update - she's been released by the sports medicine doc! She has no pain tumbling, had no pain at all on her exam and the PT has been progressing her back to full workouts slowly. She said she gets a slight hint of muscular discomfort with BWO on beam (but not on floor) so she is limiting those to 5 or less. She's decided to work hard at the BHS on beam since she can practice it more consistently and hopefully compete it by December. She still has to finish her last two weeks of PT but is otherwise good with no further follow up as long as pain doesn't return! Sigh of relief (and fingers crossed everything stays good!)

My DD had to get her BHS on beam in a short time too because of discomfort doing BWO. She is a very conservative gymnast (always among the last in her group to get skills) and got it in about 6 weeks and has been competing it since September. This is from a kid who has always said she will quit when she makes it to L6 and has to do them. :) DD was motivated by the desire to compete -- it was either BHS or no beam at all.

That's good to hear! I got to see her first few attempts at the end of practice last week and was really surprised how good it looked. Well...it wasn't pretty but she was solidly going for it, not hesitant or timid so to me *that* was great! When it was first discussed, she was really worried about it and hesitant to consider it (or try it!). In her mind it was this BIG skill that she didn't have to worry about perfecting just yet. She needed to get mentally adjusted to moving ahead to the BHS sooner than she had planned. Once she said out loud "I'm going to compete my BHS on beam" her mindset changed and she's really going for it.

Yes! All of this EXACTLY was my DD. She even made the same statement as your DD about competing BHS and this was when I knew she was serious about it. Good luck to her! Keep us updated on how she progresses.

Graduating from PT today! It's been a long 6 weeks but so worth it - she's back to full training at gym and can do her BWO without pain (although she is limiting the number each practice to be safe) Knowing this sport, I'm sure we will be back here someday but hoping it's not for a long while! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back