Parents Lower Level Compulsory Judging

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I judge lower level Compulsories - text errors make up a small fraction of points lost, like you need a ton of text errors to make a real difference. There are significant deductions for rhythm, even confidence on beam, wobbles, flexed feet deductions can be taken repeatedly, there’s so much more to deduct than just the competition of the skill

We get this question all the time. While many people understand the basic rules of baseball... or soccer... or football... or volleyball... or golf... etc... etc... etc. The general public does not understand gymnastics.

Transparency is key here. The easiest way to get the actual information is to purchase the materials... I would 100% recommend that everyone with a child in compulsory gymnastics owns the routine book. Not so you can coach your own child... but so you can be informed...

While the judges come up with the scores... they are operating from the actual rules and routines.
The gym I trained in gave us all photocopies of our compulsory routines and told us that was the goal. It seems this isn't standard.

I judge lower level Compulsories - text errors make up a small fraction of points lost, like you need a ton of text errors to make a real difference. There are significant deductions for rhythm, even confidence on beam, wobbles, flexed feet deductions can be taken repeatedly, there’s so much more to deduct than just the competition of the skill
Is confidence on the beam and floor good or bad? I wonder because some seem to score higher when there is more flare or personality showing on floor. On beam I can't tell if it's supposed to be crazy sharp or graceful. Its so confusing and seems to vary score wise depending on who judges.

Small errors add up quickly. The new routines were composed to be more “dancie” than robotic, but mark my words they will soon start looking very sharp and robotic, they always do as time goes on.

Basically, the movements should flow seamlessly one into the other. There are deductions for toes, knees, hips, shoulders, head, focus, rhythm, pausing, bent elbows, height, distance, split angles, hold times, balance, shapes, landings, dynamics, artistry, presentation, position of feet, extension, angles, control, and probably a few others I didn’t mention. (Contrary to popular belief, hand position during dance does not get judged). Judges are required to know these things like the back of their hands. We spend the time between May and September attending clinics, online classes, going into gyms, studying the codes, practice judging, and testing, and we also review materials and text each week before a meet. We learn the compulsory routines (last year we had a clinic and we got up and performed all the dance throughs for levels 1-5 as we learned) so that when we see them, we know exactly how they should look. We learn shorthand and learn to write fast (hopefully without having to look down).

Yes, there is some subjectivity—my pet peeves are not pointed toes and uneven splits—but overall there is a standard that should be across the board with just slight fluctuations for subjectivity. I don’t know if any of this helps, but I hope it shed some light on compulsory judging.

We are on year 11 here with competitions. My thoughts on your question are simple. You will never fully understand judging , especially vault .

While reading the requirements as a parent maybe informative it’s kinda pointless. If you are seriously interested at the difference in scores asks the coach. The coach can also ask the judges at the meet if you are seeing wide swings in scoring.

as has been said hundreds of times here. Perfection in compulsory does not determine success down the road. the lowest scoring compulsory gymnast on my daughters team, and I mean always last place, is going to a top 10 D1 school. Enjoy the lower levels, seriously have fun. How you sit on your foot on the beam mount deduction just doesn’t matter in the long run

Small errors add up quickly. The new routines were composed to be more “dancie” than robotic, but mark my words they will soon start looking very sharp and robotic, they always do as time goes on.

Basically, the movements should flow seamlessly one into the other. There are deductions for toes, knees, hips, shoulders, head, focus, rhythm, pausing, bent elbows, height, distance, split angles, hold times, balance, shapes, landings, dynamics, artistry, presentation, position of feet, extension, angles, control, and probably a few others I didn’t mention. (Contrary to popular belief, hand position during dance does not get judged). Judges are required to know these things like the back of their hands. We spend the time between May and September attending clinics, online classes, going into gyms, studying the codes, practice judging, and testing, and we also review materials and text each week before a meet. We learn the compulsory routines (last year we had a clinic and we got up and performed all the dance throughs for levels 1-5 as we learned) so that when we see them, we know exactly how they should look. We learn shorthand and learn to write fast (hopefully without having to look down).

Yes, there is some subjectivity—my pet peeves are not pointed toes and uneven splits—but overall there is a standard that should be across the board with just slight fluctuations for subjectivity. I don’t know if any of this helps, but I hope it shed some light on compulsory judging.
That is such helpful advice, I really appreciate it! My daughter is a dancer and has been since she was a toddler so she seems to look more dance like than robotic. She usually scores high but occasionally a judge seems to go for the sharp robotic look. You never know what to do.

Is confidence on the beam and floor good or bad? I wonder because some seem to score higher when there is more flare or personality showing on floor. On beam I can't tell if it's supposed to be crazy sharp or graceful. Its so confusing and seems to vary score wise depending on who judges.
Confidence is good, especially on beam - lack of confidence has a deduction, which usually goes along with the deduction for trying to maintain balance, then the deduction for any wobbles. You’ll see gymnasts who look down at the beam the whole time score lower even if the rest of their routine is fine.

Confidence on floor just generally goes along with rhythm deductions

Confidence is good, especially on beam - lack of confidence has a deduction, which usually goes along with the deduction for trying to maintain balance, then the deduction for any wobbles. You’ll see gymnasts who look down at the beam the whole time score lower even if the rest of their routine is fine.

Confidence on floor just generally goes along with rhythm deductions
Wow, I had no idea the confidence was where they look was such a big deal. Thank you for the information!

Here is one of my sheets from L5 beam. Lots of skills and plenty of specific deductions. You can see my skill shorthand and then the execution deductions underneath (or sometimes on top) of them. I use my own shorthand for execution so I know what the deductions are for. I do a parent presentation called “what’s in a score” for gyms. Scoring is very complicated but really fun to talk about and really fun to learn about!!

Attachments

• 962E0A38-E4C6-4902-80FB-E0B1C05FFCEC.jpeg
    962E0A38-E4C6-4902-80FB-E0B1C05FFCEC.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 119
Here is one of my sheets from L5 beam. Lots of skills and plenty of specific deductions. You can see my skill shorthand and then the execution deductions underneath (or sometimes on top) of them. I use my own shorthand for execution so I know what the deductions are for. I do a parent presentation called “what’s in a score” for gyms. Scoring is very complicated but really fun to talk about and really fun to learn about!!
That's awesome, ive always wondered what the judges are writing. It looks like a different language lol I love learning about scoring so that we as parents have a better understanding. Thank you!

Love it! I’m attaching a part of a page from a recent meet when I did floor. The top one is a 9.5, the bottom a high 8. You can see the skills in order and the, deductions below. I use 2 different pens in case I write on top of previous scores, since I’m not looking down. Can anyone guess what level this is? (No judges, just parents :) )

Attachments

• 766037AF-922F-419E-AE5C-DA9E27DBD5EB.jpeg
    766037AF-922F-419E-AE5C-DA9E27DBD5EB.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 103
I use 2 different pens in case I write on top of previous scores, since I’m not looking down. Can anyone guess what level this is?

Different color pens... that's a cool idea.

As a coach I will answer the question... "no clue".

Love it! I’m attaching a part of a page from a recent meet when I did floor. The top one is a 9.5, the bottom a high 8. You can see the skills in order and the, deductions below. I use 2 different pens in case I write on top of previous scores, since I’m not looking down. Can anyone guess what level this is? (No judges, just parents :) )
I know, I know! But I''m not allowed to answer.

Is it Level 4? The first symbol looks like it could be a BWO and then the next symbol looks like it could be the FHS, CW, BER and the last symbol looks like it could be the RO, BHS, BHS.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back