WAG Lvl 3 rushing routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry this is my first post and I am unsure if I am posting in the right forum (or should be in the Gym Parents).

My daughter is 6 and Level 3 Aus. Due to covid she was unable to attend any of the little comps in the Level 1/2 Development Program that she was in last year so this year as a Lvl 3 has had her first comps with another coming up soon. In her floor and beam routines she is great at the skills that require strength, flexibility etc but really struggles with the artistic/dance components, and rushes through the end quite floppy with her once the core skills are complete despite being able to do it much better. There is just such a contrast between her during the routine vs the end but she doesn't really see it. Perhaps it's a maturity thing? Or just lack of focus? I'm not sure what I am asking but perhaps some tips to get her to slow down, focus and complete these properly as I imagine these have a big impact on her scoring low and she was so upset to not place.

Thanks!

Are you serious? Last time I ask for advice here.
Yeah, I'm serious. She's 6 years old and hasn't competed before. Of course she's going to rush through her routines -- have you ever seen a 6 year old do competitive gymnastics? Even future Olympians look sloppy at 6.

Weird and defensive is no way to go through life. As I said, if you're worried about her precision of movement dance is the way to improve it. Instead of taking that good advice, you got butthurt.

It could definitely be because of her age. When my dd was competing for the first season, the girls were from 6-10 years old. In general the older girls looked better in the dance portions of the floor routines just from having more body awareness and maturity.
It wouldn't hurt to put her in a dance class if she has time. My dd did a year of ballet/tap and a year of jazz at 5-6 years old before starting gymnastics. I think that it helped her.

Yeah, I'm serious. She's 6 years old and hasn't competed before. Of course she's going to rush through her routines -- have you ever seen a 6 year old do competitive gymnastics? Even future Olympians look sloppy at 6.

Weird and defensive is no way to go through life. As I said, if you're worried about her precision of movement dance is the way to improve it. Instead of taking that good advice, you got butthurt.
That first paragraph of this would have been a far better way to reply to my question. Your response felt sarcastic and dismissive hence my reaction. Im not about to be putting my 6 year old into another sport just to improve at the sport she currently enjoys.

It could definitely be because of her age. When my dd was competing for the first season, the girls were from 6-10 years old. In general the older girls looked better in the dance portions of the floor routines just from having more body awareness and maturity.
It wouldn't hurt to put her in a dance class if she has time. My dd did a year of ballet/tap and a year of jazz at 5-6 years old before starting gymnastics. I think that it helped her.
Thank you :) I thought age could be a factor, her focus in general waivers quickly but it’s hard to tell the age of the others in the other clubs as a comparison as they all just look so little to me but are so great!

Yes to the previous comments about age, but also, it takes some kids more time to "get" the pacing and flow of competition. Since it's her first year, it's not unusual that she may be a little rough around the edges, so to speak. It's probably easier for her to learn the skills than it is to string them together - with dance! - in a timed routine. She'll get there! I can't even remember how many girls in my daughter's first competition year finished their floor routines before the music ended. They generally looked so stiff or tired at the ends of the floor routine. Your daughter's endurance and artistry will improve as she grows up and moves on.

Also, this is an excellent time to get your daughter to be less concerned about placement and more happy with her own progress! Trust me, my daughter's first year wasn't stellar in terms of scores, but she improved each meet.

Like Carly said, 6 year olds lack the body awareness to "polish" the dance and make it look good. I know several kids that were 6 at Level 2 or 3 and scored pretty low consistently. Fast forward five years and they are the best on their Level 7 team with a super cute 9.5+ floor routine. I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree that this sounds normal but also agree that if you're super concerned, dance classes will definitely help. My daughter gets the most deductions on floor and it's almost always the dancing, not the tumbling. She's a good dancer, but not super clean. I was a competitive dancer myself so it always hurts a little to watch but I stay out of it and let her coaches deal with it. I've noticed that as she's moved up, the focus on clean choreography, using the beat of the music as cues to the moves, etc, gets a little more attention (thankfully).

I also agree with everyone else in that it improves with age. But, I will also add that for my daughter it helped her to look at the routine as someone else is doing it. So I bought the CD from USAG that has the music and a gymnast performing the routine. We slowed it down and showed my daughter where she should be at certain points. It helped her a lot with the timing and either slowing her down or speeding her up.

Thank you everyone. That is super helpful!
I’m honestly not concerned (I’d rather she NOT be great a gym given how big a commitment it is ) it’s more for her as she loves it so much and wants to do well. As long as this stuff doesn’t stop her from progressing up the levels if it takes her a while to get it and become less sloppy, then that’s fine. I just don’t want her to be stuck at level 3 for years if this is the thing that holds her back but seems like it shouldn’t be much of a factor. Will just get her to keep trying to focus and slow down a little and she’ll get there in time.

Yes to the previous comments about age, but also, it takes some kids more time to "get" the pacing and flow of competition. Since it's her first year, it's not unusual that she may be a little rough around the edges, so to speak. It's probably easier for her to learn the skills than it is to string them together - with dance! - in a timed routine. She'll get there! I can't even remember how many girls in my daughter's first competition year finished their floor routines before the music ended. They generally looked so stiff or tired at the ends of the floor routine. Your daughter's endurance and artistry will improve as she grows up and moves on.

Also, this is an excellent time to get your daughter to be less concerned about placement and more happy with her own progress! Trust me, my daughter's first year wasn't stellar in terms of scores, but she improved each meet.
Yes! This is what I’ve been trying to drill into her. I honestly couldn’t care less about her scores and thankfully they don’t actually see their scores at this level but she is just a typical 6 year old who looks at other kids getting ribbbons and medals and gets sad. I guess the more practice she has going to comps the more used to it she’ll get. Thanks

Welcome! I have always found Chalkbucket to be a very supportive group and a great place to ask questions, and hopefully you will find the same! I'm sure your daughter will grow into the pacing of the routine over time. Six is so young and there is so much to remember. Enjoy watching her progress! :)

My daughter had her first competition a couple of months ago. Half of her team finished their exercise early, the other half was late. They are all 6 or 7 and their sense of timing is not yet well developed. THey will learn :) And if your music is anything like ours (we're in NZ) then it is just a jumble of notes that all sound similar, I am surprised anyone can keep time with that

In Australia, mist kids start competing in level 3, so its not too much of an issue that she didn't do level 1-2. They are designed to be developmental and not competitive.

Rushing is a common issue for kids, on both floor and beam. Having her be aware of it and talking about going slow and thinking, one more at a time is useful.

For fun have her practice her routines in super, duper slow motion and she will start to get a feel for taking her time.

My daughter had her first competition a couple of months ago. Half of her team finished their exercise early, the other half was late. They are all 6 or 7 and their sense of timing is not yet well developed. THey will learn :) And if your music is anything like ours (we're in NZ) then it is just a jumble of notes that all sound similar, I am surprised anyone can keep time with that
Haha yes exactly like that. So many seem to either finish early or late as there aren’t really any great prompts throughout for them to use to help with timing. Our club tells them not to worry so much about timing but to focus more on doing the moves properly and that’s where she’s just like the floppy ears of a dog at the end haha

In Australia, mist kids start competing in level 3, so its not too much of an issue that she didn't do level 1-2. They are designed to be developmental and not competitive.

Rushing is a common issue for kids, on both floor and beam. Having her be aware of it and talking about going slow and thinking, one more at a time is usefulFor fun have her practice her routines in super, duper slow motion and she will start to get a feel for taking her time.
That does sound like a fun way! Thanks. She’ll enjoy the novelty of that.

My kid started "real" meets at about the same age. With feedback such as lower scores and coaches who can explain how to improve your score, she progressed throughout the year. She's a powerful tumbler, but isn't into dance. She also tends to have a fast tumbling sequence and always had to adjust to make sure she was still in time with the music.

Now that she's out of compulsories and can make up her own routines which highlight her power and can hide her lack of dance skills, she regularly scores and places on floor.

I'd say if she's a good listener and motivated to improve she'll do just fine!

p.s. I've always been in awe of all these kids who go out onto a big floor and perform complicated skills with all these adults staring at you (and some of them literally judging you). If it were me I'd turn bright red and melt into a big puddle.

I agree with everyone else about age, but I will also add that I believe that endurance could be part of the issue(especially with the floppy at the end-but I can also see that causing rushing). That will naturally improve with time for sure!! Heck, it could even change with a different lineup(like if floor was last event this time).

As for the dance class, our club has a dance/ballet teacher come in for an hour every week. So it definitely doesn't hurt anything!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back