MAG MAG different routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

henrik541

Gymnast
Sooo, I hope I don't get any type of hate for posting this but...

I feel like there's this general idea that men can't be artistic or graceful, that's pretty obvious given the fact that there's no music or dance in FX for MAG.

What I want to know is if there is any male gymnast that actually went 'Outside the box', eg. did some kind of dancing or more artistic bit, or used back flexibility in his routine.

If you know of any routine like this, please post a video or tell me, I would be very thankful :D

Not exactly MAG, but my highschool gymnastics team had a guy on it for two years, and he had to compete the women's events (since it is a girls' team). He did vault and floor, and on floor competed to music. He struggled a lot with learning how to dance, since he had never done it before. Eventually his routine was fairly artistic, albeit a little awkward to watch. (Ever see a very stocky, muscular 17 year old do split leaps and dance?). I definitely don't think it's impossible, it's just hard for guys to break out of the norm, since artistry isn't necessary in MAG code of points.

The director of our boys' program would like to see the Artistic put back into MAG! I think if you look around, you will see the same kind of criticism levelled at elite women's gymnastics as well. Just poking around on Youtube, you can find some older routines by elites where artistry was more evident, though not necessarily in the use of specific dance skills.

I feel that a lot of the artistry and grace has been lost over the years from both MAG and WAG. I like watching the older routines on YouTube. More flowing choreography and variety of interesting moves.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back