(MAG) Skills for each event and level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Brandon

Coach
Gymnast
There isn't a mens team near me, and since I'm going to FlipFest again in 2 weeks, I'd like to know what I should be working on or towards. I've read the compulsory level 7 routines, but I'm curious as to what skills are usually learned at higher levels. Thanks. :)

P.S I don't even know what level I 'would' be, were I to compete. This is what I'm working on now:
Vault - handspring front tuck
Floor - double full twist, front handspring layout front handspring.
High bar - front and back giants, layout flyaway.
Rings - 5 second handstand hold, back uprise, layout flyaway.
Pommels - circles to travel down.
P-bars - (worst event) Moys, pirouettes.

That's basically L7 though L6 as for rings.

V- HS Front 1/2 out, Tsuk, Kaz, or Yurchenko entry stuff before flipping it.
FX - You'll need an arabian or side summi for another group, some sort of press or maybe a jump turn or circles/flares.
HB - Blind change, possibly flank release or jaegar. Work front offs and of course double back. Pretty much gotta start working towards double backs on every event for optionals. Oh yeah, Clear Hip to HS.
SR - Hopefully you have your inlocates and dislocates. Birdie up/backward felge from a swing and shoot to handstand. Work a kip, levers and press to HS.
PH - Circles this and that, Moore, Kehr, something more interesting than a flank dismount, flares of course, scissor 1/2 at least.
PB - Flyaway, can't recall the name but where you swing forward and hop to 1/2 turn or 1/2 turn to HS (before Diamidov). Start working peach transitions

That's basically L7 though L6 as for rings.

V- HS Front 1/2 out, Tsuk, Kaz, or Yurchenko entry stuff before flipping it.
FX - You'll need an arabian or side summi for another group, some sort of press or maybe a jump turn or circles/flares.
HB - Blind change, possibly flank release or jaegar. Work front offs and of course double back. Pretty much gotta start working towards double backs on every event for optionals. Oh yeah, Clear Hip to HS.
SR - Hopefully you have your inlocates and dislocates. Birdie up/backward felge from a swing and shoot to handstand. Work a kip, levers and press to HS.
PH - Circles this and that, Moore, Kehr, something more interesting than a flank dismount, flares of course, scissor 1/2 at least.
PB - Flyaway, can't recall the name but where you swing forward and hop to 1/2 turn or 1/2 turn to HS (before Diamidov). Start working peach transitions

I'm not sure about the other events, but last I heard the level 7's are only required to do a layout, with an optional twist. And yes I do have my in/dislocated and kip/back lever/press.

But other than that I'm basically asking what a 'normal' level 8/9/10 does skill wise on each event.
Like:

Floor:
Level 6 - Round off handspring tuck.
Level 7 - round off handspring layout
level 8 - ?
level 9 - ?
level 10 - ?

That would be awesome. Thanks. :)

EDIT - Oh, and I figured I'd ask this here because it isn't worth it's own thread. What's it called when you do a round off, then half twist before you hit the ground?

The easiest way is to look at the skill requirements for L8, 9, and 10. So many C, B and A skills allowed. 8 and 9 count 8 skills, L10 counts 10. Or it used to be but I need to go back and brush up for the new quadrennium.

Download the FIG COP from FIG gymnastics and see what kind of skills are worth A-F per event.

A L10 should basically be competing all C's with a D level dismount at least. SV is 10, Difficulty would be 3 points+5 groups equals 2.5 points and connection bonus. Vault is a bit different as it's SV+difficulty of the vault and bonus vault.

Once you get to optionals, there really isn't a normal routine. For Junior Elite there will be technical/compulsory sequences besides the normal routine. They aren't posted yet in the judges notes as those aren't out yet but with a google search you might pull the information up. Or just see if the gym has the new routines DVD.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back