WAG Maggie Haney suspended

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This!! I also know of a coach that has multiple complaints and...nothing from USAG

the gym doesn't have elites either...so I guess those girls are not important enough for USAG
Not important enough for USAG or the social media trolls. The only athletes that get any attention are the elites that everyone knows. There is far more abuse in gymnastics that affects many more athletes than just the elites. Just as damaging to those athletes too.

MG Elite posted an Instagram story about their gymnast signing at Oklahoma with the team there celebrating along. Are they back up and running then? I wonder who is coaching them now. I hope those kids are okay...how unfair this is for them.

Reactions: sce
I don’t think they ever stopped being “up and running?” Last I heard, they just didn’t renew their USAG membership so Safesport rules don’t apply to them? As far as who is coaching, I assume it’s Victoria, who I thought was “only” suspended from unsupervised contact with minors.

In searching, I've seen several Maggie Haney threads, so if his needs moved, please do so: Riley McCusker has now filed a lawsuit against her, according to Anything Gymnastics on IG (dating from 10/28).

MG Elite posted an Instagram story about their gymnast signing at Oklahoma with the team there celebrating along. Are they back up and running then? I wonder who is coaching them now. I hope those kids are okay...how unfair this is for them.
Well considering that they are not a USAG gym and none of the kids re registered with USAG it likely is Maggie and Victoria. Frankly I personally am grossed out that any NCAA team would recruit from there. Just so wrong. They could literally go to that kid and tell them to find another gym, any gym but that one! And if these teams were serious about change in the sport they would not recruit kids from that gym. We all know they are skirting the rules, parents literally have bragged about it on FB. The whole thing is just wrong and gross.

So much to take in with this filing.
A few initial thoughts. It is:

An exemplary example of what can happen when parents are banned from having access to their children.
(as if we need more examples of this right now in gymnastics...). USAG, it's not rocket science: no guardian parent should have their access to their child blocked. End. Of. Story. Yes, this does mean doing things differently moving forward. Last I knew USAG said parents "Should" have access to their minor children, not that parents "Must" have access. These are two very, very different words.

A detailed list of red-flag items for a parent to review, and discuss with their own child athlete. i.e. "This ( x coaching behavior) is not okay. Tell me immediately if any of this happens to you or if you ever see this happening to someone else in your gym."

Appalling.

So much to take in with this filing.
A few initial thoughts. It is:

An exemplary example of what can happen when parents are banned from having access to their children.
(as if we need more examples of this right now in gymnastics...). USAG, it's not rocket science: no guardian parent should have their access to their child blocked. End. Of. Story. Yes, this does mean doing things differently moving forward. Last I knew USAG said parents "Should" have access to their minor children, not that parents "Must" have access. These are two very, very different words.

A detailed list of red-flag items for a parent to review, and discuss with their own child athlete. i.e. "This ( x coaching behavior) is not okay. Tell me immediately if any of this happens to you or if you ever see this happening to someone else in your gym."

Appalling.

It IS now a Safesport requirement that parents be allowed access to their children either in the form of viewing or video cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speechless.
That article is atrocious. I can't believe the New York Times gave her a platform to justify her abuse as "caring too much." Those poor kids whose parents were quoted. A 10 year old should not be doing "9-5 work." Yes, they can work hard, but they should still be having fun.

That article is atrocious. I can't believe the New York Times gave her a platform to justify her abuse as "caring too much." Those poor kids whose parents were quoted. A 10 year old should not be doing "9-5 work." Yes, they can work hard, but they should still be having fun.
Well the one parent does not want his daughter attending a "clown college." :rolleyes::rolleyes: What is the purpose of all of this? Really?

“If I wanted her to come home happy and smiling every day, I’d send her to clown school; I’m serious,” Rivera said.
The culture has shifted perhaps too far, she said, and she expects the sport, going forward, to be filled with underachievers....Haney blames parents for that.
“I don’t think it’s fair to say that Maggie is an abuser, by all means,” Dash said. “It depends on how much any child or any person can tolerate.”

Wow. These quotes are likes a thousand needles in my skin. They hurt all over. What kind of parenting are they suggesting???? I seriously can't understand. I have actually said to my child when she was going through a rough phase at gym that as a good parent, I could not bring her to a place that made her feel so bad about herself that she would cry that much. And as much as I want success for my kids, I want happiness and confidence a million times more. And the line by Dash (my daughter actually knows theirs, and now I just feel so sad for her) seems to basically say that it's only abuse if your kid is weak and can't tolerate it. It's like the worst sort of approach to abuse!

UGH!!!

You can be strict and stern and find a "strict" environment that doesnt rise to the level of abuse; these parents....I just feel bad for their kids. She says the parents were often on the floor watching practice, I thought their gym had a strict no watching policy? How were they there and what gym, even one that allows parents to watch, has parents on the floor??? I don't think this article makes her look as sympathetic as she thinks it does. And I am sure the parents saying other kids just can't handle her amazing coaching just continues to allow her to justify everything she has done.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back