major bar problems :(please help !!!coaches, gymnastics ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gym-monkey

i have been having major bar problems this year :(i cant get my kick up around bar or my back hip circle .....any TIPS or HINTS for getting my kick up around bar and bhc ??im 15 and have been doing recreational gymnastics for 3 years and i have become more flexible but not strong at all ...is that my weakness ??
PLEASE HELP !!
thanks
gym-monkey

Chin holds on the bar and lots of abdominals, sit ups, v-ups, ab roller, push ups. Lots of strength training. Also be sure to keep your head in, if you drop it Back you won't make it

strength is helpful... lots of arm strength and core strength. Remember, different skills are harder/easier for different gymnasts. I'm not a bars gymnast so i have to work extra hard to get the skills...
Good luck!

An interesting tip I got recently for back/free/clear hip is to the chicken head bob exercise.

We all know how chicken heads bob forward and backward when walking.

We want the head neutral in these maneuvers. If we pull the chin in, we are actually counter rotating the upper portion of the body in relation to the feet (opposite lever). Head out and they fly off the bar. Counter rotate and they don't have enough momentum and they peel off.

So anyways, in the chicken head bob drill; in the rear phase is what we would have our ideal head position. It's like we are pulling the back of our head backwards. Kinda like when a car accelerates and our head goes backward into the headrest.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back