Make it or Break it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I forgot to mention, why didn't they make this show more like Stick It? That was such a great movie and the gymnastics community obviously loved it. My kid and her gym friends must have watched that move over 100 times.
stick%20it.jpg

This is my Bailey on the right in the pink to with Maddy Curley from the movie Stick It.

Sadly enough, I think this was their attempt at Stick It the tv show. However, I don't think their writers were as good as Jessica Bendinger, nor do I think they did as much research. Because many won't know this, Jessica Bendinger also wrote Bring It On, so she does know how to do a sports movie.

well if you're super curious its going to be on again on thursday after they play stick it..can't remember the time but i jsut saw a commercial, sometime around 7 or 8 ish i think?

Someone also told me you can see the whole episoid at ABC Family web site.

I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. I will probably watch the next episode for the simple fact to see what happens now. I like the way the ended it, because it was like a soap opera the way they keep you hanging. Other than that, I wish they had shown more gymnastics in it, but its a teenage drama with bits of gymnastics in it. I was very dissapointed in the lack of physique in the girls, I have been doing gym for 7 months, and have a more noticeable muscle tone(even through my leo) than any of those girls did.

It doesn't take long for the muscles to come. Hopefully ABC will have these actreses start working out like a gymnast with the conditioning that an average gymnast does. so as the show goes on they will have that 6 pack and some real muscle definition.

Definetly a Teen Soap Opera drama. I just hope the non-gymnastic people in the world don't think that is how all gymnasts are and that is how gymnastics really is - because it just isn't.

Looks like the ratings were extremely high. It was the 2nd best launch of a series in ABC Family history. The average number of viewers for the time slot jumped 181%. In the target audience (females aged 12-34) it jumped 856%.

Really I think everyone's expectations here were set too high. The gymnasts doing the stunts are mostly retired and former NCAA. These girls were very good gymnasts in their primes (some on championship teams) but they dont do elite level skills that much anymore. So knowing this going in, why would you expect to see elite level skills?

And reading through the comments I think many of you have gotten so bogged down into the gymnastics that you miss the bigger picture of what the story is about. In this story, the new girl (Emily) isnt supposed to look like a gymnast. She is supposed to be the unconventional one, the underdog that shakes up the established order. She's financially poor and part of a single-parent home. Her brother is in a wheelchair. She is only there because of a scholorship. She didnt train at some elite academy. Her hair is a mess and her clothes dont look good. All that is intentional! She is not upper or middle-upper class like the rest of the girls at this facility. Her biggest enemy is the exact opposite of what she is. She's the rich, spoiled girl who has everything perfect. Her father funded her training at expensive gyms. And she's willing to lie and cheat at the expense of others to get what she wants. Sadly, people like her do exist in the sports world. Tonya Harding proved that with the whole world watching in 1994.

That plotline though is typical. ALL sports stories are underdog stories. In every television or movie made on a sport, it is about an underdog succeeding despite impossible odds. Because realistic or not, that makes the best possible story. And that's what people like to see.

"Stick It" was more light-hearted and upbeat. It focused on the positives. This show is a bit more on the darker side that exposes some of the complex problems and issues that surround not just gymnastics but teenage girls and sports in general. This perhaps is the reason some didn't like it. But I think that angle is more realistic than many want to give it credit for.

Here's a link for non USA folks

TheWatch.Us Make It or Break It S01E01 - Pilot

I watched, hmmm sadly the gymnastics is hard to take for people who like to watch gymnastsics. The style is typical Disney drama, sadly it seems to be aimed at the tween market, but the subject matter is way too old. A funny mix which makes it hard to watch, but I find that about many of the tween shows on tv.

The shows that I tend to love are like "Big bang theory" that have good humour and solidy written. I think, as a previous poster said, the Bring it on and Stick it writer had more depth which made it enjoyable.

I fast forwarded through the gymnastics, I'd be interested to see what the none gym people thought of it, the gym not the show itself.

They certainly put the drama in, the characters names made me laugh though, who calls their kids such stupid names?

Not sure whether I'll watch more.

Can somebody please tell me what the outcome of the episode was? Who made it to nationals? What happened with Emily's vault? I tried watching it but it was all messed up and I got about half way through and it would not load. You can even PM me the info. as to not poop on anyone elses party :p

Thank you,
aerialriver

I did not see it but for some reason the coaches at my daughters gym were talking about it and were telling the girls to watch it. I found this surprising because it seems out of character for her coaches to be promoting the show. I quess they are hoping that the show will promote gymnastics and have more kids sign up.My daughter is 9 she says she liked it but was telling me about the girl changing the vault setting. I asked her what did the coaches said about that and she said they better never do that to one of their teammates. I quess I will have to wait and see.

Emily, Peyson (sp) and the other girl did--Lauren didn't. She got mad and accused the other girl of breaking the rules by having a boyfriend. Emily lied for girl and she got off. Lauren's dad blackmailed coach into leaving the gym for Denver, taking Lauren and girls 4-7 with him.

Here's a link for non USA folks

TheWatch.Us Make It or Break It S01E01 - Pilot

I watched, hmmm sadly the gymnastics is hard to take for people who like to watch gymnastsics. The style is typical Disney drama, sadly it seems to be aimed at the tween market, but the subject matter is way too old. A funny mix which makes it hard to watch, but I find that about many of the tween shows on tv.

The shows that I tend to love are like "Big bang theory" that have good humour and solidy written. I think, as a previous poster said, the Bring it on and Stick it writer had more depth which made it enjoyable.

I fast forwarded through the gymnastics, I'd be interested to see what the none gym people thought of it, the gym not the show itself.

They certainly put the drama in, the characters names made me laugh though, who calls their kids such stupid names?

Not sure whether I'll watch more.

Thanks for the link :)
I thought British TV was bad, but I have to say that was awful. Nobody would sign up for gym after watching it!!!

I agree with most of what you've said. The only thing I need to point out is that Tanya Harding was the girl from the "wrong side of the tracks". the 1 from the poor family and she was involved in the attack on Nancy Kerrigan, a girl from a middle to middle-upper class family.

It was Paysen that did it, what on earth is that? I just thnk I am too British?Irish to care for these fluffy made up names.

I thought it was Patient with an American accent LOL!! That's not even a word! (payson)!!

PS. Did anyone else notice Tasha Schwikert in the background?

Last edited:
I agree with most of what you've said. The only thing I need to point out is that Tanya Harding was the girl from the "wrong side of the tracks". the 1 from the poor family and she was involved in the attack on Nancy Kerrigan, a girl from a middle to middle-upper class family.

Oh I know. I was just pointing it out as an example that there are people in the real world that would go as far as intentionally causing injury to another athlete for their own benefit. I don't see that aspect of the plot in this show as being unrealistic that someone would do that.

It was Paysen that did it, what on earth is that? I just thnk I am too British?Irish to care for these fluffy made up names.

I think its a variant of Payton.

Yeah the show was really cheesy but of course im going to keep watching it just because its the only gymnastics show hahaha.

exactly how i feel! i think the show is terrible (gymnastics is bad, unrealistic, making gymnastics look bad) but i will keep watching because its the only gym show on tv!!

iTunes gave away the pilot for a free download, which i took full advantage of, only because now i have something on my computer other than Stick It to fall asleep to. lol. I like background noise, but music doesn't work for me.

/hijack
I liked the name Payson. It's a town in Arizona I believe.

And the show will keep me occupied until some other gym comes on tv in the fall. Can't wait!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back