Make it or Break it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree with gracefulone about the lacking accuracy on some pretty basic gymnastics aspects of the show. The fall off beam was my favorite, even my mom was like who falls like that? hah. but i digress

however i wasn't sold with the drama side of it either, maybe it will get better as the series continues but it just seemed incredibly over the top even for the typical teen drama, everything seemed so forced and fake.

but i will admit i missed a little bits of it because i was flipping back and forth between make it or break it and jon and kate plus 8's divorce.

the inaccuracies really bug me. if they can't be accurate making a show about supposed elite level gymnasts (or level 10) because they couldn't find gymnasts to do the skills, then make a show about lower level gymnasts (lots of hard work, determination, money and time go into all levels of gymnastics!!).

I know it was discussed this program wasn't appropriate for younger audience members so I wasn't going to allow my DD to watch. But since she already knew about it ahead of time and was excited, I allowed her to put it on. I didn't have to kick her out of the room...she left on her own. She was bored. I know it was supposed to be more made for tv drama without being accurate, but my little L5 thought it was "silly". I thought it was a little silly too, even with my limited L4/5 knowledge. Guess we'll have to hope someday someone does a documentary or more accurate life of a gymnast series. Not sure this one will appeal to the non-gymnast community either though. Put me on the dissapointed list.

I did not like the way it focused on the negative points of gymnastics---eating disorders, harsh rules and cattiness. I also did not care for the sabotaging aspect of the competition. Yes there were girls who were trying to be positive, it seemed to me that the negatives were winning.

I will not be letting my dd (12) watch it. After training 36 hours a week in the gym, this might be a bit too much gymnastics---especially when we try so hard to de-emphasize the negative aspects. So combined with the fact that the gymnastics is a bit unrealistic and I feel the content matter is not something I want her to spend her time watching--she will not be watching.

I do understand why all of the drama is there. It is, after all, a teen drama show and it has to appeal to the masses. I don't think many people would want to watch weeks of gymnastics practice, competition and drama... It will be interesting to see if does well.

Definitly a Break It.

Well DD and I saw it and both of us were disapointed. I think for a teen drama it is typical tv teen drama. Gymnastic wise well......pitiful is the only kind word I can think of.

Ok What parent out there would allow their daugher to vault again after a fall like that without a DR exam and x-rays. What coach or gym would allow it. None that I know of regardless of the opportunity the gymnast will miss.

I did not like the throwing up part either. I'm not saying there aren't gymnasts that do that but I think that those that do it would have done it regarless of what they were involved in. I don't know of any gymnasts that do this. Most I know if they have anything that could be classified as an obsession would be eating health and having fun, not throwing up.

as my DD at 12yo watched the show comments like "that would never happen at a gym" "no one would ever do that at a meet" "those aren't elite gymnasts - they aren't good enough to be an elite"

As for the story line outside the gym - it was barely there and hardly developed.

I'm sure the teens looking for an evening teen soap oprha will love it and it will make it but I wish they would at least get the gym parts right.

The only reason I would watch it again would be because DD would want to see it. From her reaction to the show well I don't think we will be watching it very often.

:no:

my mom and i were both disappointed. a few parts were just laughable! the bar routines had what, 2 skills? That beam fall! it cracked me up. And why didn't their leos math at meets? and they didn't fit that great either. i don't know any gymnast that would risk an injury to another girl just to place in the top 3 to qualify for an event. It was all too negative for me.

I also noticed when she fell on vault she was doing a front entry but when she redid the vault it was a tsuk.

I might keep watching it, maybe it will get better *crosses fingers*

I did not like the throwing up part either. I'm not saying there aren't gymnasts that do that but I think that those that do it would have done it regarless of what they were involved in. I don't know of any gymnasts that do this. Most I know if they have anything that could be classified as an obsession would be eating health and having fun, not throwing up.

This scene provides perhaps the most starkly realistic and unrealistic moments in that entire...thing.

Even aside from the whole not really being the fault of gymnastics thing (which I more or less agree with) no one who is bulimic is going to sitting there obviously doing it in front of people and joking about it flippantly. A gymnastics gym isn't a parallel universe. Basic societal norms still apply. Aside from being not funny at all and not adding anything to the show seeing as they weren't treating it as a serious issue or character development, that was just a completely ridiculous portrayal of an eating disorder. You don't know of any gymnasts that do this because it would be rare for someone in the midst of a struggle with such intensely personal problems to openly joke about it, much less engage in those behaviors in front of other people.

But "stop, I'm bigger than you" "but it's all muscle" was such a dead on teenage girl exchange.

Also, the vault thing made no sense (yeah moving the springboard back an inch is going to make you flip in front of the vault and land on it on your back...that makes no sense whatsoever). Then she moves the springboard back up but it's still way far back...in real life if you've got a zone down, then there's barely any space between the base of the vault.

That's just one minute set of complaints in the whole show full of things that were gymnastically nonsensical.

And I'm not even that picky. I actually loved Stick It and found it pretty relatable in parts. But the suspension of disbelief wasn't even possible with this one. Also it was pretty boring, which is basically what dealt the fatal blow.

Last edited:
(Un?)fortunately it wasn't airing in my area...but doesn't sound like I missed much. I realy hope Holly comes back on to respond to all the feedback! :)

Here's something unrelated to the quality of the show.

Where is that guy from? The one that girl is sneaking around with dating? He looks so familiar.

I feel like they could have done a better job casting. Sure, they can act, but the body types were not very accurate at all. Where were the gymnast muscles and 6-packs! A true gymnast can be spotted a mile away just on her physique, which makes up part of the beauty of the sport. This is what makes people look at a gymnast and say "I want to look like her!". Someone mentioned that it is difficult to get real gymnasts to take the time for shows like this but how hard could it be to find actors that do some serious working out, maybe lifting weights to get that muscular look? (Check out some of those Hollywood gyms for some actor-wannabes!) The gals that played in Stick It, at least looked liked gymnasts, especially Haley. And what about the hair? Comeon, I've never seen a gymnast in competition have hair falling down in her face like Emily in the show. A gymast would not even consider a cut like that that can not be ponytailed to keep it up and out of the way unless it was really short. There were way too many inaccuracies in this series to even be compared to real gymnastics. That's my two cents worth.

I feel like they could have done a better job casting. Sure, they can act, but the body types were not very accurate at all. Where were the gymnast muscles and 6-packs! A true gymnast can be spotted a mile away just on her physique, which makes up part of the beauty of the sport. This is what makes people look at a gymnast and say "I want to look like her!". Someone mentioned that it is difficult to get real gymnasts to take the time for shows like this but how hard could it be to find actors that do some serious working out, maybe lifting weights to get that muscular look? (Check out some of those Hollywood gyms for some actor-wannabes!) The gals that played in Stick It, at least looked liked gymnasts, especially Haley. And what about the hair? Comeon, I've never seen a gymnast in competition have hair falling down in her face like Emily in the show. A gymast would not even consider a cut like that that can not be ponytailed to keep it up and out of the way unless it was really short. There were way too many inaccuracies in this series to even be compared to real gymnastics. That's my two cents worth.

I totally agree gymnomore! My dd has only been in gymnastics for a year and I caught on pretty quick as to what hairstyles not to have!!! We immediately grew out dd's bangs and always had it long enough to put in a neat ponytail. And I know what you mean about the body types. Emily doesn't look like a gymnast at all and she is the lead character!!! Nastia is very thin and didn't have the muscles that Shawn has but at least she is a gymnast.

I am really surprised that the writers of this show didn't research "real gymnastics" before casting these people.

Okay here's DD's & my take...glad to see someone tried to have a fictional show about gymnastics...but it needs work(alot of work). I do hope it gets better & I think it could. I could see it having potential if it addressed real issues that affect teens(not just gymnasts). Anyone out there remember the show "Family"??? It was on back when I was a teenager( late '70's/early 80's). It was a dramatic show that dealt with a whole family's issues, including those of the teenager. Now that was a GREAT show! I think if MIOBI went in that direction it would improve. DD & I both hated the bathroom scene. Eating disorders are no joking matter. If they want to address them, it should be done seriously as a plot line. I think it would actually be a good plot line if done right & taught teenagers the dangers involved. Yes, the skills were not those of elite gymnasts. But hey, there trying to make a series out of this...they can't bring out the big skills in the 1st episode:p,LOL! So I'll let that & other "gymnastic inconsistancies" slide for the sake of "dramatic license":rolleyes:. I can also understand that this being the pilot show, they had to introduce the characters. So the storyline was more about that in my eyes & that was why this episode seemed "boring". I thought the coach leaving & taking the 1/2 the gym with him was an interesting & realistic plot twist actually:p. All in all, DD & I will continue to watch, just b/c it is about gymnastics. But I hope it improves or it won't be on long. The plot lines need to be interesting to ALL teenagers, but done within the gymnastic back drop. Holly if you read this please go back & watch some old episodes of "Family". I'd LOVE to have a show like THAT for my DD's to watch during these teen years:)!!!! I will tell you the little bits we caught of "Secret life of an American Teenger".... we hated that!!! Every scene was about sex! Really is that all they think teenagers think & talk about & do??? I think that is a stereo type!!! I know WONDERFUL teenagers who have much interesting lives than what was depicted on Secret Life or MIOBI. Please writers...give this kids GOOD quality shows to watch!!!! Drama for teens can be good & informative...go back & watch some old episodes of "Family" for inspiration please!!!JMHO:D P.S.- I also loved the "Afterschool Specials" ABC used to have when I was young! They also dealt with real teen issues in a dramatic fictional way!!! Holly if you read this...please watch some of them for inspiration too:D.

:]

I watched it and it ws okay :rolleyes: but I hate the cattiness! It annoys me so much.:mad:

I agree GJM and I loved Family!!! I used to watch that with my mom all the time!!! They simply don't make good quality shows like that anymore :-(. I used to love watching The Wonder Years and 7th Heaven, and I think that those were some good family shows that addressed kid/teen issues in a very positive way. I sooo miss all of those shows :-(

I agree GJM and I loved Family!!! I used to watch that with my mom all the time!!! They simply don't make good quality shows like that anymore :-(. I used to love watching The Wonder Years and 7th Heaven, and I think that those were some good family shows that addressed kid/teen issues in a very positive way. I sooo miss all of those shows :-(
Yes, MGM those were GREAT shows too!!! That's the kind of shows our kids need, not Gossip Girl & Secret Life! Holly are you listening???? Hint-Hint:D

The girls from Stick It trained hours a day for months so they'd look like their stunt doubles.

Yes, MGM those were GREAT shows too!!! That's the kind of shows our kids need, not Gossip Girl & Secret Life! Holly are you listening???? Hint-Hint:D

I am guilty of being a Secret Life addict. I don't know why, but I am. Anyway, my boyfriend (also an addict) and I did an extra credit project in our AP Statistics class to see if Secret Life being on has had an effect on teen pregnancy. The findings-absolutely! We found that teen pregnancies at our school have actually increased since the airing of Secret Life. Now that is only at our school, because it would have been quite the feat to collect data nationally or even state wide, but it would be fascinating to look at data through a professional research company. Also, there is the possibilty that it was a mere coincidence.

Just throwing that piece in the pot.

Drills for front walkover on the beam

I am a prep. optional gymnast and i have a front walkover in my beam in my routine,but the thing is that im really scared when i do it:eek:....but i still go for it. I need some drills to help me be more confident when i do it.;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back