Parents Make that TWO new skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Billy

Well, DD got incredibly motivated by visiting a new gym last week and she practiced all weekend at home. Her reward? She learned not one but two new skills on bars, the cast squat on and now the long-hang pullover. Now, we don't have a high bar at home so her long-hang pullover is done with bent legs, but she knows she'll have to correct that when she does it "for real" at the gym. In addition, she's been working on learning the level 4 floor routine, too. She is so ready to move up. I've uploaded a video of her new skills on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgQnSAPCfyE

That is fantastic !! Tell her great job.

my dd wants bars soooo badly. Unfortunately cannot afford at the moment :(

awesome job! DD wants a bar soo bad, but i say no and DH says yes, so no bar for now.

Way to go:) I will have to show Emily her long hang pullover. She was trying to do it from a cast from the high bar at open gym like the level 6s do but she kept getting scared to actually bring her hips to the bar.

DD kept trying to make it into a kip. I explained to her that she had to keep her arms straight and allow her hips to hit the bar. At that point, it becomes just like a regular pull-over. It clicked after a few tries.

We've made it as safe as possible. The bar has two horizontal metal supports that are bolted into the concrete floor on both sides. There's carpet with double-padding beneath and an 8" mat as well. Further, the bar height is less than 5'.

Ay yi yi Shawn... your dd looks like she is having a lot of fun, congrats to her on her new skills.

I am also begging just to be careful - especially w/the squat on @ home... only because I have seen PLENTY of mishaps in a padded gym with a coach with fantastic reaction time standing right there. I have just seen toooooooo many girls get their feet tangled or toe caught and come very close (would have had the fast reaction coach not have been there) to falling flat on their face. This skill seems easy, but one of those mishaps and your little talented cutie could get very scared of bars & say hasta la vista gymnastics - please, oh please just be careful....

I know. Luckily, she'll be outgrowing that bar before too long. She'll also be moving up to three days a week at the gym, which will leave less practice time at home. And, when she can do this stuff at the gym, she won't need to do it at home. This new gym is much more inclined to help kids learn new skills than our current gym. I'm hoping that will help her not feel the need to do so much at home.

Shawn- BIG congrats on your dd's progress. My gymnast has always found bars to be a challenge, so I understand more than most. Way to go!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back