Anon Making a gym switch.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello and thank you all for your advice. My daughter is a level 6/7. Practicing 20 hours a week. Her one coach is leaving, which happens to be the her favorite event. The gym did not find another coach yet. She wants to make a move to another gym. As a parent I am concerned for several reasons. We like the gym, teammates and parents. However, she is adamant to switch or quit. It’s upsetting because at 11 I am not sure she is totally processing her coach leaving. She is mad they are leaving. In our area we do not have many choices. One gym is 45 mins away and we have other children in sports. One is 20 minutes away but is by rumor more intense. Several years ago we had girls leave and go to the more intense gym. Some have been successfully. Would you let her try other gyms? We do not want to upset anyone but inevitably sone feeling will be hurt. Just unsure of what to do.

It’s unlikely she would be able to switch for this season. She’ll have to stick it out for the season and if she is still unhappy/not being coached on that event I would make a move.
Most gyms have already finalised their spots for the upcoming season.
You can also speak to the head coach about replacing that coach - find out if any progress has been made in the search.

It’s unlikely she would be able to switch for this season. She’ll have to stick it out for the season and if she is still unhappy/not being coached on that event I would make a move.
My daughter switched gyms (from NGA to USAG) last year in late October, after he new team had all learned the routines with a comp in early December. The new gym was happy to take her and she did well all season.

My daughter switched gyms (from NGA to USAG) last year in late October, after he new team had all learned the routines with a comp in early December. The new gym was happy to take her and she did well all season.
Thank you for your feedback. Our competition season did not start yet. It would be tough though as clubs are starting to post their schedules. Both gyms I mentioned in my post have her coming in for an evaluation. It is just a matter of the right fit. She is adamant about making a change.

Thank you for your feedback. Our competition season did not start yet. It would be tough though as clubs are starting to post their schedules. Both gyms I mentioned in my post have her coming in for an evaluation. It is just a matter of the right fit. She is adamant about making a change.
Every meet was long posted before we got there. And probably the first three or four meet fees were already do long in the past. We ended up having to pay extra to get her competition gear in time for the first meet, but the all the meet organizers were totally fine with a late addition.

While perhaps not common, it's definitely possible to join a team at this point in the season. That's how we ended up on team in a previous season. We did private lessons to learn the routines. Our gym also orders a few extra comp leos (for kids that grow, new kids, etc) so it all worked out. At our gym, this is super common in the lower levels, not so common in optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News