Parents Making money at a meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

John

Proud Parent
The coaches not attending awards thread got me interested in how much a gym can make hosting a meet. I have been told that the meet DD gym hosts can make enough money that 3 or 4 months of Team Fees are waived. I researched on USAG Region 7 website and the MD USAG web site. I learned a few interesting things.
For every registered gymnast, the host gym owes the Region 2 dollars.
For every registered gymnast, the host gym owes the State 1 dollar.
Is the USAG Sanctioning fee 100.oo? Is this how the USAG makes money?
What do judges fees usually total?
What do awards fees usually total?

I'd be open to learning anything that anyone cares to share about hosting meets?

Thanks

Our home meet basically covers all coach travel to meets, including regionals and nationals. It's a great money-maker for the gym because most of the labor is provided by parent volunteers. The owner serves as meet director, and we have no professional staff to run the meet other than gym personnel.

Costs include the following, and I am probably forgetting a few things:
  • sanction fee
  • regional/state fees
  • judges' fees
  • equipment rental
  • venue fee
  • security
  • I think a small payment to EMT personnel who are on site
  • awards
  • supplies
  • some food (some is donated)
  • travel, lodging, meals, and an honorarium for a celebrity guest athlete
Revenue comes primarily from two sources: athlete entry fees and spectator admissions. We also run a 50-50 at each sesssion. We solicit sponsorships and donations, which come with display banners and announcements thanking the providers.

I am not sure how our meet handles vendors and which side of the ledger they are on.

Does anyone actually know what the fees are of some of the things listed?

I know our owner is the HC and he is also the meet director.

We host 2-3 meets each year and those meets generally net our booster club approx. $50,000-$60,000. Our compulsory meet brings in approx. $10,000 and our optional meet around $20-$25,000. When we host a state meet we generally net approx. $15,000-$25,000 (depending on if it's the state meet for compulsory or optionals). We also do a color run which has netted our booster club around $10,000. Our other smaller fundraisers usually bring in around $1,000-$2,000 each. Our booster club has been able to pay for ALL meet fees for all optional and compulsory gymnasts and pay for the coaches fees as well with the money made from our hosted meets.

I love the idea of a celebrity guest athlete!! Can you tell me how you go about doing that?? Do you contact the athlete's agent??

Our home meet basically covers all coach travel to meets, including regionals and nationals. It's a great money-maker for the gym because most of the labor is provided by parent volunteers. The owner serves as meet director, and we have no professional staff to run the meet other than gym personnel.

Costs include the following, and I am probably forgetting a few things:
  • sanction fee
  • regional/state fees
  • judges' fees
  • equipment rental
  • venue fee
  • security
  • I think a small payment to EMT personnel who are on site
  • awards
  • supplies
  • some food (some is donated)
  • travel, lodging, meals, and an honorarium for a celebrity guest athlete
Revenue comes primarily from two sources: athlete entry fees and spectator admissions. We also run a 50-50 at each sesssion. We solicit sponsorships and donations, which come with display banners and announcements thanking the providers.

I am not sure how our meet handles vendors and which side of the ledger they are on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back