WAG Making the team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flyaway

Proud Parent
Just curious- does your gym hold open try-outs or is there an internal selection process? Or a combination of both?

If you have open try outs do team girls have to try out every year?

Our gym does internal selection only.

Both. Most girls come from pre-team but they do open try outs for team (and pre-team). Most girls selected go to the AAU team but a few will occasionally get selected for JO.

And once on team you pretty much stay on team.

We don't have a regimented pecking type order. You have your levels, but up training is constantly going on. Around August, your level is "official" based on skills.

From the outside, you try out, and the coaches assign your level.

For my kid, she was level 3 at her old gym, and she got bumped to 2 when we started. They were correct.

This year, she is coming off L4, plan to score out L5 and off to L6. Coach actually said she will be L6 next year. I nearly fainted, because she never says that kind of stuff before at least July, so at least L6 it is.

Different gyms have different methods. I've never been at a gym that had open tryouts - if someone wants to come in from another gym, they'd schedule a private assessment with a coach for rec level or team placement.

Mostly what I've experienced as a gymnast and a coach has been gyms that select for team from talented gymnasts in rec classes and put them on pre-team. They also have a few options if the gymnast progresses through all the rec levels: some gyms send them straight to Xcel, others give them the option of Xcel or pre-team for JO.

We have tryouts… but they aren't widely advertised. Other programs I know have open tryouts. Ours are for introductory team level. If you are coming from another gym and competed for them, HC evaluates and places you in the same level or one level up… unless you come in April-June when levels do not exist. In that case, you practice with whichever clubs are the next progression based on your skills. Level decisions are made in August/September… but can be altered as late as October.

I don't think any of my DDs gyms have had open tryouts. The original one invited people to preteam or team from rec. subsequent moves she has had either a private assessment or a team workout evaluation, and been placed on a level. Her current gym is brand new and I am curious how they will build a whole team once the facility opens. Since they won't have a rec set up to pull from for awhile. Maybe they won't have compulsories till rec picks up..

We do not do open tryouts. Girls are picked from rec to go to pre-team.

If you are already on a team elsewhere and want to move you pay to come practice with the level you are in and then they will let you know if it would be a good fit.

[QUOTE="AgingHippie, post: 454974, member: 18314"If you are already on a team elsewhere and want to move you pay to come practice with the level you are in and then they will let you know if it would be a good fit.[/QUOTE]

Pay? My DD has tried out or trialed at nine different gyms and we've never payed, whether it was an evaluation, a practice, or an extended (up to two weeks) trial. I wonder if we lucked out or your gym is an outlier?

Last edited:
We bring up our own from pre school / pre team. If someone wants to try out from another gym we will allow only if they are not in season.

Invite only. Kids are selected based on a very large number of criteria.

Based on conversation with whoever sets up the free trial days, new athletes are placed with a particular training group for trial. They are evaluated by the coaches during trial days and placement is decided. Taking in new team girls during the season is rare, but happens.

Our team is invite only, but a decision as to not a good fit, rec and "we'll see", rec and a plan to progress to team, or welcome to the team is made after free trial period is done. Best time to come is right after meet season when coaches are actively thinking about progression and skill acquirement anyway. They rarely turn anyone away, but if they do it's less to do with skill and more to do with attitude or parent behavior. For girls in rec, the team coaches are kept in the loop by rec coaches by who may have potential... they watch and if they see the same thing an invite is extended.

Gym community is pretty tight and they all talk to one another, so gym hoppers and CGPs are known before they even walk in the door... they are given a chance but watched more closely.

We have open tryouts for xcel. JO kids are picked from rec to go to preteam when they are 5, and then go straight to L3. A few of the preteam kids are moved to xcel after a year on pre team. If kids are coming from another gym they can either come to the open tryout or have a private tryout. This is for both xcel and JO.

Once a year, there is an opportunity for rec kids to request a tryout for the team track. I don't know whether certain kids are actively recruited to try out, but I imagine so. Based on these tryouts, kids can be placed in preteam, XCEL, or JO. Three of this year's most successful first-year L3s came straight from rec.

Kids switching from the team track at another gym try out by practicing with the appropriate level group. Preteam transfers are accepted at any time of year if there is space. Transfers at the competitive levels are only accepted between states and the beginning of summer training, which is a short window.

Kids already in the gym's team track do not have to try out again. Coaches place these children in the appropriate level each year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back