Coaches Maloney 1/2

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, I got no responses on this one, but with all the talk of the "twisties" in the last few days, I thought I'd share that that's what my gymnast is actually experiencing on this skill. She had it, then started not only twisting early, but actually opening early on the Maloney part and even accidentally twisting on a regular Maloney. Crazy that it can even happen on a 1/2 twist, but we all know it can. I'm glad that some of the media outlets are taking the time to learn what it is and explain it in layman's terms.

Well, I got no responses on this one, but with all the talk of the "twisties" in the last few days, I thought I'd share that that's what my gymnast is actually experiencing on this skill. She had it, then started not only twisting early, but actually opening early on the Maloney part and even accidentally twisting on a regular Maloney. Crazy that it can even happen on a 1/2 twist, but we all know it can. I'm glad that some of the media outlets are taking the time to learn what it is and explain it in layman's terms.

I have some drills... but I'll have to find them. They should help with some of this.

I wouldn't worry too much about what you are stating above... I would consider that more of "experimentation to learn the skill" than the twisties. I would go back and solidify the Maloney and multiple toe hands in a row first though.

This is the setup we use... it allows you to separate the twist. For example... Maloney to your back... roll 1/2.

Even with that... we had tons of weird stuff going on until we ended up here the other day...

Here's a good video for the athlete to watch as well. Make sure they know how to use slow motion on Youtube...

Also did this on a couple of days...

I would consider that more of "experimentation to learn the skill" than the twisties.
If you saw it happen to her, you might reconsider, lol. It's really freaked her out and has her saying "I didn't know where I was & it was scary!" Her Maloney to a Pak is still beautiful and solid and the Maloney 1/2 was looking great (until it wasn't). I'm excited to watch your videos.

This video doesn't show up for some reason
I'm not sure what's up... try just searching for it on Facebook or Google. Search for "Shaposh Al Fong" on Google.

I think you might need to be logged into Facebook to see it.

If you saw it happen to her, you might reconsider, lol. It's really freaked her out and has her saying "I didn't know where I was & it was scary!"
Maybe... I'd be very interested in seeing the videos if you have any.

We just don't really use that term at our club. We use "got lost" or "getting lost" and then we link it to the learning of a new skill if possible.

Especially now... the "twisties" has been more defined as something that just happens and can spread to other events. By linking it to a new skill that is being learned and just saying that they "got lost" we have had a good amount of success with it not spreading.

I'll see if I can find any more training videos of drills and crashes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back