Manhattan Classic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shelovestoflip

Proud Parent
Our gym is going to the Manhattan Classic for the first time in Feb. I was just looking at the meet schedule and it is a HUGE meet! Takes place in 3 different gyms (rooms) with multiple sessions of the same levels at the same time!

If you've gone, is it fun for the girls or does it seem more stressful? Do you know how many places out they typically award? It looks like many gyms are NY gyms but also many from other states (like us!) We've done some 'big invitationals' before but never this big!

The team is staying overnight so the girls will have fun and already have some ideas of what they'd like to do in NY!

But I'd love to prepare my daughter for the medal situation!! I was so surprised at how big it was!

Thanks for any feedback!

I competed in it 2 years ago, but in USAIGC not USAG. It was good meet and very well run. The awards were a hike away from the gym but its labeled well enough that you find them. They move very quickly and efficiently, but when I competed the awards only went out 5 places :( Not sure if it was because of the league or not but all age groups only went out that far. However I did place once and the medals are very nice! :p It was shocking to see so many different states though, people came from across the country, it was pretty cool!

DDs gym is going and looks like she is at Sunday 8am :eek:. Seems like it will be an expensive day lol between parking and admin. Hopefully there wont be a blizzard.

So agree about no blizzard because that just means we'll go a day early so as not to lose the meet fee as you know there's never been a cancelled meet due to snow (well, not here, anyway)! Though the cost of the hotel would be more than the meet fee...hmmm, may need to rethink that one!

We are also Sun at 8AM..not sure what gym! Def expensive for us as we are driving Saturday, staying at a hotel (in Times Square, need I say more?!), need to pay for parking, meals and whatever 'fun' stuff the team decides to do Saturday!

So agree about no blizzard because that just means we'll go a day early so as not to lose the meet fee as you know there's never been a cancelled meet due to snow (well, not here, anyway)! Though the cost of the hotel would be more than the meet fee...hmmm, may need to rethink that one!

We are also Sun at 8AM..not sure what gym! Def expensive for us as we are driving Saturday, staying at a hotel (in Times Square, need I say more?!), need to pay for parking, meals and whatever 'fun' stuff the team decides to do Saturday!

LOL got ta love NYC :) I'm also hoping that since its first thing in the morning that they gym wont be freezing--I know wishful thinking :)

Our gym is going also (from GA), and my dd is Sat at 12:15 in gym 2. I'm from NJ, so we're staying with the Fam and going up that morning. Im not as excited as the rest because we always took class trips to NY, but I did want to go to Ground Zero. The meet seems bigger this tear than last year, just looking at last year's scores and sessions. My daughter injured both ankles 4 weeks ago, so I hope she's ready to go for this meet and impress the judges. :)

Our gym participated in this meet over the weekend. It was HUGE! The venue is a former pier so a lot of space. This was our first time participating in this meet. Our gymmies loved their offical leos. It was disappointing that they did not do 100% AA especially in the compulsary levels.:( I would recommend they change that in the future. As a spectator it was floor seating. There was a lot of trafffic between performance areas so a challenge to video and it was hard to hear the anouncer at the beginning for introduction of the participating teams. I don't know if we will be back as that is up to the coaches but overall it was a great experience.:)

Our girls had a great time overall. They had an early session so it was cold in the gym to start but the heat kicked in quickly and was fine, almost too hot, after that! The 3 sessions in that one venue was the first time our gym has experienced that...but they had fun and all did well. Our girls would go back in a heartbeat...staying in Times Square (parents spending too much money). True, it would have been 'nice' to place all girls, at least in Compulsories, but at optionals, I often notice the older girls seem embarassed to get a medal for 7th or 8th place (they placed out 8, I think, in our session) As we were the first check in, I don't know if other sessions ran over but I think given how big the meet was, it seemed well run!

Our gym participated in this meet over the weekend. It was HUGE! The venue is a former pier so a lot of space. This was our first time participating in this meet. Our gymmies loved their offical leos. It was disappointing that they did not do 100% AA especially in the compulsary levels.:( I would recommend they change that in the future. As a spectator it was floor seating. There was a lot of trafffic between performance areas so a challenge to video and it was hard to hear the anouncer at the beginning for introduction of the participating teams. I don't know if we will be back as that is up to the coaches but overall it was a great experience.:)

My DD's gym went to the meet yesterday @8:00AM. She got the 1st place on vault, bar and All Around. My DD enjoyed the meet even though it was the biggest meet she ever went.
I didn't like how they arranged the seating area. There was too much traffic between the competition and seating areas. I wasn't able to take pictures or video taped her routine.

My DD's gym went to the meet yesterday @8:00AM. She got the 1st place on vault, bar and All Around. My DD enjoyed the meet even though it was the biggest meet she ever went.
I didn't like how they arranged the seating area. There was too much traffic between the competition and seating areas. I wasn't able to take pictures or video taped her routine.
We were there @ 8 too and it was cold first thing in the morning! My dd and her teammates had fun and they wore the leo to practice yesterday. Hopefully the gems will make it through a wash or too lol. I agree there was too much traffic between the competition and the seating area. Next year they should have the seats a little closer to the competition and have the walk way behind the seating that way people can get from one area to another with out crossing infront of parents trying to tape. That first session was well run and moved quickly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back