Parents Mckayla maroney Instagram

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know that she is an adult and is therefore free to present herself to the world however she chooses. However, I am also free to not have my child follow her on Instagram too. I was disappointed.

It's funny because I was just talking to the coach at our local D1, telling him how much I appreciated the example his girls gave for our community. I told him how much it meant to the young gymmies to meet the girls and how admirable it was that they spent hours after a meet to sign autographs and talk to all of the little Olympic hopefuls running around.

Given how much of a role model MM could be, it's rather disappointing but I also feel like she was "edgier" even as an Olympian. My impression of her was always that she was putting out a more coquettish image than her teammates.

even though children can register for instagram at age 13, i do think it still needs to be closely monitored use at that age. cbifoja, good on you for making that that judgement call.
I know that she is an adult and is therefore free to present herself to the world however she chooses. However, I am also free to not have my child follow her on Instagram too. I was disappointed.

It's funny because I was just talking to the coach at our local D1, telling him how much I appreciated the example his girls gave for our community. I told him how much it meant to the young gymmies to meet the girls and how admirable it was that they spent hours after a meet to sign autographs and talk to all of the little Olympic hopefuls running around.

Given how much of a role model MM could be, it's rather disappointing but I also feel like she was "edgier" even as an Olympian. My impression of her was always that she was putting out a more coquettish image than her teammates.

how old is your daughter? i ask because 13 is the minimum age to have an instagram account and i don't think mckayla has posted any photos that are too risqué for the teen population, in general. the comments, however, are horrible and this is why even at 13, use of the internet still needs to be closely monitored. you could be following the pope on instagram and have horrible comments, know what i mean? lol! so cbifoja, good on you for making that that judgement call!

And I think that Gymbeam just pointed out the main problem here - only one of my children is over 13....and he is the only one with any social media access - still only facebook and limited to those who are willing to also friend ME - which means most of his true friends because we parents got together on this one! However, my 11 year old has Many friends with their own Instagram etc.....clearly parents are opting to allow their kids to break the rules in order to be "cool"....and I would say that you get what you ask for - MM is in her late teens and its her account....If she were my daughter there would be some conversations going on for sure....but really guys, don't let your children have access to that which they are not ready for - rather than expecting the older population (still kids with teen/young adult stupid brains...) to "remember little kids are following them" - little kids should NOT be following them!!!

You have to be 13 to be on Instragram in the first place, which is one of the reasons we've told DD 'no' despite half her gym teammates being on there. The pictures aren't outrageous for a 13+ year old to see, as they'll likely see at least that in school and socially.

It's not fun being 'those parents', but stuff like this is largely why we've said 'no' to Instagram, Snapchat, etc. I don't think there's been any ridicule from other girls over DD not being allowed to have it.

What does everyone think of the somewhat inappropriate pics and videos she's been posting on Instagram ?
What is her instagram? As in the one that is actually her, lol!
My daughter had followed her at one point but out of the blue stopped. I asked why and she said she didn't really like her the way she like Aly. I guess I'm happy she gets what 'image' she's looking for!
I just searched instagram and can't figure out which is her 'real' page!

The comments from the perverts are more disturbing than what she is posting, IMO...

Oh my, yes! McKayla must not read the comments. Some comments are downright repulsive. It is sad to think what young (and even "old") people are subjected to when you are a "celebrity" and what the public feels is fair game.

So after I read this thread, I went to MM instagram & browsed thru it... I was OK with it. She is a beautiful girl. She's young & popular, but I didn't find anything wrong with her photos. I have a 14 y.o. DD who doesn't dress much differently (at home & with friends not at school). She doesn't post pics of her on web though. We closely monitor our kids on computers & OD cell phone. But maybe I'm just use to my DD & all her friends, and I know they are a great group of girls (no troubles) so I don't judge them for what they wear. It's just girls being girls.

I'm with onebusymama. I went through her instagram and didn't find anything in her photos I wouldn't be comfortable with. What I WOULDN'T want my kid to see are the repulsive comments. And to that end that isn't MM's fault.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back