Me again! Gymnasts Level 5 comp tomorrow!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

marie83

Coach
Judge
Well you guys did such a great job on sending luck for my judging exam, i thought i'd ask for a little bit more (call me greedy if you want!)

My gymnasts have their Level 5 (UK) Regional competition tomorrow. It is a massive competition - 60 gymnasts in the 8yr old competition, 46 in the 9/10 competition and 22 in the 11+ competition.

I have 7 gymnasts in the 8yr old section and 2 in the 9/10 yr olds section.
They all have to do the same skills:

Floor - ROBHS (one doesn't have this yet) Handstand Forward roll, Cartwheel or backward walkover, Tuck jump, Split leap - Catleap, Full spin

Vault - Flatback onto 110cm stack of mats

Bars - upward circle or glide kip, cast to horizontal, BHC, Squat on, Catch HB, Long kip or 3/4 circle, cast to horizontal, BHC, Straddle shoot.

Beam - Squat on mount, split jump-stretch jump, Forward roll or cartwheel, half spin, backward walkover (only one has this!) Tuck jump or catleap, Roundoff or handspring dismount.

It is judged VERY harshly - if their casts don't go to horizontal on bars they don't count as a move! If only one counts they should be ok as they will still have 7 moves, but if neither count they will have a short routine and only be marked out of 6 not 10! eek! (Same on other apparatus)

There is a 'pass mark' but it means very little if they hit this mark which I think is 40 they HAVE to move to level 4 next year, if they don't hit the mark, they can either re-take level 5 next year, or move on to 4 anyway!

Any fairies you might have, please send them this way!!
Thanks!!

Sending you the cast fairy, she was very useful last year as oldest had to have kip cast to horizontal or lose 1.3!

Hope you and the girls have the best day you can, interesting the way they force a move up based on score. Be nice if they did that here!!!

Sending all the good luck fairies your way! Those are some tough requirements, and strict judging rules. I hope your girls go out, strut their stuff and have fun too!

Do they get placements as well at this competition? Or is it just a pass/fail type deal?

WOW that is tough !!

Sending cast fairies, beam fairies, BHS fairy, of course the smile and have fun fairy !!

Good Luck to you and your gymmies, you must be so proud to be able to sit back now and watch! Sending the fairies...all of them...since you said the judges are harsh & hope everyone gets their passing score!

Sending them loads of good luck! Some of the littlies from my gym are doing level 5 tomorrow! I have done it before and know just how strict that judging can be!! Good Luck to them all and I hope they have a great comp!

Hi all,

Thanks for the good luck It certainly worked for most of my gymmies - 1 didn't turn up as her mum got lost on the way and ended up almost in Wales! The competition was in Birmingham! If you know UK geography, you will wonder how!! I know I certainly don't understand it!

The 'pass' mark was 42 - a big ask in my opinion!
I didn't get 2 of the girls floor scores and they haven't posted them online yet, so not managed to get them.

Round 1 (9yr olds)

RW - 40.85 (however she did have 2 falls on beam so lost 2 whole marks there - we made the decision to move her up to level 4 as she is more than capable in practice!)
LA - 43.55 - with a fall on bars!

Round 2 - (8yr olds)
EA - 39.8 - This gymnast only came to our club just before the summer she had only ever done recreational gymnastics before, but she is such a fast learner and is so eager! It was her bars score which let her down at this comp as she fell on her squat on, her casts were nowhere near horizontal and she had a lot of pauses. I'm not sure whether she will repeat level 5 or not yet - but she has amazing potential so we are going to up-train and see how it goes!

LS - 42.55. Again her bars score was low as she missed out her cast to horizontal and back hip circle on the low bar as she wanted to get the squat on over and done with! But she hit the pass mark! (She has a lot of work to do now as her tumbling and vaulting are both very weak!)

RT- 41.2 - With a fall on Beam so that would have bumped her up to 42 had she stayed on. Again, not sure about this one as she isn't the most powerful gymnast - we will up-train and see how she goes!

SW - 45.6 - S absolutely rocked this competition! She got a bonus 0.3 on bars for a routine without pauses and a stuck dismount and both casts to horizontal!

Round 3 - (8yr olds)

AR and SG - No scores yet but I'm pretty sure they scored 38 and 39 - SG came at the same time as EA and she is still only 7 - 8 in Dec. She is absolutely tiny and really struggles to get over the vault but she got a fab score - 10.6! She is actually a very powerful little gymnast and almost has her tuck back on floor but it might do her good to repeat level 5 next year due to her age. AR is one of those gymnasts who perform much better in competition than in training but she doesn't have her bhs yet so she will definately repeat level 5 next year.

So all in all a great competition - lots of things to improve but lots of new exciting things to learn too! The kip is first on the list!!

Thanks again!
They have another comp in 2 weeks so we'll see if some of them can bump up over the 42 mark - although this isn't an official comp so it doesn't matter either way!

Sending all the good luck fairies your way! Those are some tough requirements, and strict judging rules. I hope your girls go out, strut their stuff and have fun too!

Do they get placements as well at this competition? Or is it just a pass/fail type deal?

There were placements but only the top 3 in each age group - none for individual apparatus!

The next comp is nice because they have the chance to get medals on each apparatus and all around so fingers crossed!!

Great results, sounds like they all did well and they all now know what they need to work on. Lovely that you are so aware of where they are at andwhere they need to go next. Did they enjoy the meet experience? When will they compete again?

Almost ended up in Wales??? Oh deary me....

Please don't talk about that kip to me!!!!

Wow she really was lost!!! How do you end up near Wales trying to get to Birmingham??? lol! Im glad your girls had a good comp! We had some level 5s up there and I think the majority got over 42! We had some quite young ones there who didnt I think but like you said its prbably better for them to redo 5 and maybe uptrain 4 due to their age. My cousin competed and she got 44.25 ! Im so proud of her!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back