Members see FEWER ads

Aussie_coach

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Random question.

I was watching a random YouTube video which featured a few medal presentations at various US gymnastics competitions and noticed something odd. When the medals were presented the judges did not hang the medals around the gymnasts necks, instead at every comp the judge simply handed the medal to the gymnast, and the gymnast hung it around their own neck.

I have never seen this before. In all of our gymnastics competitions the judge will shake the gymnasts hand and the gymnast will bow their head while the judge hangs the medal around their neck.

What is the norm where you are?

They almost always hang the medal around the neck, unless the person is too high up. But 95% of the time, the medal is hung around the necks of the winners :)

My daughter is in her 10th year of comp. I guess I've seen it both ways and never really thought about it. Often times the meet volunteers handing out awards are other gymnasts or parents of hosting gymnasts. I don't think I've ever seen judges hand out the awards (compulsory and optionals).

The judges are long gone before medals are presented. They are off the floor as soon as the score the last kid of their last rotation. They are on break or in the car heading home even while the placements are tallied and printed. The host gyms, have someone announcing placements. Usually its volunteer kids (again, host gym). who hand out medals....... Usually the gymnast puts their own medal on because those volunteer kids are usually little and can't reach the gymnast on the podium. So as the gymnasts heads up the podium the medal is handed to them to put on. Sometimes a grown up will be giving out medals, they usually hang the medal around they gymnasts neck. Kids present, on to the next event, age group etc....This is L2-L10 meets.

I don't remember for all the competitions I've seen, but I know it is not abnormal for the kids to be handed the medal and they put it on themselves.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back