Parents Meet #5 (1/2 way thru season)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Blackie6

Proud Parent
This morning...early this morning @ 8am UGH...we had our #2 sectional. No pressure since all the girls had made their 32 score at the 1st one. This was more for meet experience I suppose. Being that it was the 3rd weekend in a row at a meet we are kind of tired and could use a little "meet" break. We do get a week off and then have another one right before Thanksgiving. My DD did fine today. Her scores are about the same as they always are, she is pretty consistant. I had just thought that by now she would have been doing a little better since this was her second year at L4. She loves gymnastics, loves learning the L5 skills, can't wait to go to L5, not afraid of anything really, but doesn't seem to be blasting out of the 34/35 scores. Her teamates seemed to have a great day and we are so happy for them, but she didn't place anywhere & it was the first time this season. We are celebrating some other things that did happened today though, so it was a GOOD meet because she did not fall off the beam or splat the mat on her vault, LOL, so plenty of hugs for that!

Vault 9.05
UB 8.55
BB 8.3
FX 8.9
AA 34.80

Last edited:
There is something to be said for consistency! Blackie, she did a great job! I do think that the meets tend to run together a bit when they are back to back. On the other hand they get so much experience that meets are not scary any more!

It sounds like she is ready for L5!

Big hugs for not splatting on vault and for staying on the beam!

WTG! Those are some pretty exciting scores. In the early spring the compulsories compete. Since I have two, it is like meets every weekend! Anyway, sounds like she really wants to be a L5. Does she like all the new skills that come with L5?

Wow that's a great job on vualt, to have conquered that fear is a huge thing. She must be feeling very proud of that. Nice AA score.

I always remind my girls that every little girl goes to her meets wanting to win gold on everything, someone has to come first and someone has to come last and there are always a ton of girls in between.

Sounds like she is ready to move on to L5, remember some of the best L7's are not the girls who won everything as compulsory gymnasts.

Blackie, you truly have a marathon of meets this year. Could dd be getting a little bored with the same old L4 routines? That can happen when they just go meet to meet to meet and she's all excited about doing L5 skills.

Good for her for staying on beam and no vault splats!!!

I think she did great. I know my DD got tired w/ meets back to back. I am sure the little break will do a world of good and she will break that 35 barrier next time.

Hope she is celebrating not falling on beam and not splatting on the mat! 34/35 are good solid scores and consistency is a big deal. She will do fine at L5. :D

Those are some really good scores - congrats to her. Sounds like she will do well and have fun with level 5.

Thanks Kristilyn,

I know she needs the meet experience and she really can't wait until L5, but when I see the first yr L4's scoring just as high as she does I feel a little bad for her because I know she's trying so so hard to do better this year. Her beam just doesn't go any higher than about an 8.5 and while she loves bars and has won 1st on bars this season, doesn't seem to go higher that about an 8.6. This month (and last)was tough with all the meets, but in Dec we only have one and then our own gym's meet in Jan right before states. Our last meet is not until Feb and it's just a "fun" meet after states.

Gymnastics mom,

I am glad I am NOT you, LOL! I am not sure my nerves can handle meets every weekend. Plus I have 2 boys at home who do not love going all the time either. But she is looking forward to L5, and we just hope that we can get her there finacially. We are really struggling w/L4 right now since we had a huge jump in fees this year. She has been working L5 skills though at practice. She does the ROBHSBHS, uses the vault table now, and sometimes has her kip and sometimes not. I guess I thought higher scores might mean she was more ready for L5?

Melmonette,

Yes, it was a good day because she did not fall off the beam and completed her second vault. And, her teamates that usually score below her had a great day and she was very happy for them. She handles the no ribbon/awards thing very well too since last year she hardly placed on anything so no tears there. But while she is consistant I would like to see some improvement on the beam scores. They have come up from last year for the most part, but can't figure out what she is doing wrong there. She never liked beam, but has been working so hard to do better on it. Only thing I can think of is her form. She has a hard time maybe keeping stiff, tippy toed and straight all the time with all those hand gestures. Anyway, next month we get a bit of a meet break with only one meet in Dec and 2 in Jan so the bulk is behind us now, LOL

Thanks mariposamom,

We made a HUGE deal out of the not falling off the beam this week and also not splatting the mat on her 2nd vault. I always tell her it's not about the score, but about making improvements on yourself meet to meet. I think that a break will do us good and we only have one more meet left this month, one in Dec and 2 in Jan w/one being states. Since we missed so many Sat practices because of the meets, it will be back to bussiness again and maybe that will also help get things together.

Thanks Flippy!

I had hoped that she would have been doing a little better in L4, but she is happy about going to L5 and loves learning the new skills. I am just worries that because her beam scores are so low all the time that she's really going to hate that L5 routine on beam even though she can do the cartwheel. It's not the skills she struggles with, it's mostly the form and with that I don't know what she can do about it. She has some slight Neuro damage that affects her R side. It's amazing she even does gymnastics and competes, especially on the beam. So, I always think my expectations for her are not the same as others score wise, but I know that L5 is REAL gymnastics and scared this may mean defeat for her. We have never told her "no" but L5 is VERY expensive and we have some apprehensions about moving forward into it now. These are all things we will discuss with the coach at the end of the season though so for now we just think about making it thru States, LOL

Thanks Flippy!

I had hoped that she would have been doing a little better in L4, but she is happy about going to L5 and loves learning the new skills. I am just worries that because her beam scores are so low all the time that she's really going to hate that L5 routine on beam even though she can do the cartwheel. It's not the skills she struggles with, it's mostly the form and with that I don't know what she can do about it. She has some slight Neuro damage that affects her R side. It's amazing she even does gymnastics and competes, especially on the beam. So, I always think my expectations for her are not the same as others score wise, but I know that L5 is REAL gymnastics and scared this may mean defeat for her. We have never told her "no" but L5 is VERY expensive and we have some apprehensions about moving forward into it now. These are all things we will discuss with the coach at the end of the season though so for now we just think about making it thru States, LOL

Blackie--just hang in there with her. Scores at 1 level don't dictate a child's future in this sport. I think its amazing that at age 7 and with some physical issues she does what she does and is doing it meet after meet. My gymmie was never the super high scorer at compulsory levels(never up in the 37s/38s), but once she hit L7, it was like a different kid out there. Beam may always be a little bit of an issue for her(it is for LOTS) of girls. It may just be the 1 event she'll need to spend more time working on. I think at this point, there is some meet burnout and just being tired after pushing through 3 weeks in a row of meet prep and meets. Only 1 meet next month may be just what she needs. Then some down time before the push for a really good state meet!

Gymnastics mom,

I am glad I am NOT you, LOL! I am not sure my nerves can handle meets every weekend. Plus I have 2 boys at home who do not love going all the time either. But she is looking forward to L5, and we just hope that we can get her there finacially. We are really struggling w/L4 right now since we had a huge jump in fees this year. She has been working L5 skills though at practice. She does the ROBHSBHS, uses the vault table now, and sometimes has her kip and sometimes not. I guess I thought higher scores might mean she was more ready for L5?

Blackie- she sounds like she is definately ready and really loves it. I you and her all the best in level 5! :D

She is doing wonderfully!I think her scores have been great.I have heard from the opt mom's in our gym that alot of the high scoring comp. girls never make it to the higher levels.Do not know if really true ,but if so my dd will be an awesome opt.I think it's great that they have been training there l5 skills ,I wish our gym would .

Sounds like your DD had a great meet! There's alot to be said for consistency! Will she be doing L5 meets this year after the L4 season?

Great job to J for another great meet! I think she is doing awesome, and also think she may be feeling a little bored... at this point she is probably needing a little more challenge. I know she will do outstanding in L5. Good luck to her. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back