WAG Meet Director payment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastmom05

Proud Parent
Trying to find some information on meet director fees. We (booster club) hold a meet each year and are examining our payments to see if we need to make adjustments in our budget in some areas. How much is a meet director typically paid? We are a small competition. Two day, 8 session, one competition floor competition (usually average 300-350 gymnasts).

Paid?? I have stopped laughing now ...

Seriously, if I was to get paid at my day-job hourly rate for all of the hours put in before the meet doing all of the planning, I don't think a meet could afford it. Every meet that I have run has been voluntary; maybe a thank-you token at the end, but no pay. There is a ton of work to get all of the entries done, the planning of the sessions, the checking, double-checking, and triple-checking of the information in the scoring system before the meet, doing all of the paperwork, it really never seems to end. Then on meet day or meet weekend, you have to worry about actually keeping the meet flowing smoothly.

Good Luck.

Oh, how I wish it were payment for myself but no, it’s not. I know how much work goes into a meet (I haven’t seen my family since I sent them all off to school Friday morning and as mentioned above, that doesn’t count all the planning for the last 6+ months). We have always paid a Meet Director. I assumed most places did! I guess we do because it’s for our booster club and the Meet Director (either our gym owner or head coach) doesn’t get any of the profits? I’ll gladly pay them, I have done enough of the leg work the last few years, I don’t need/want anymore!

The professional meet director I have known charged somewhere between $5-$8 per gymnast. If you break it down per hour, that isn't a lot. But most of the pre-meet time is email communications with coaches and judges and data entry work to process the entries, enter them into the system and verify all the gymnasts, coaches and judges, setup the meet schedule. So that work can be done at any hour and at home. People are usually willing to do that kind of work for less per hour because it's so flexible. Then entire weekend is spent at the meet first setting up the electronic scoring system and then making sure the system runs smoothly the whole weekend, processing results, printing award labels and meet certificates and results.

The parent club is then just responsible for all the "extra" stuff - snack bar, hospitality food for coaches/judges, staffing the front gate to collect entrance fees, getting the gym or site meet ready, cleaning up after the meet.

Our meet director is paid as well, per gymnast as I understand. Our booster club is technically the meet host.

We once had to pay our meet director and we paid her around $1,000, which was on the low end from what I hear. Most expect to be paid $2500-$3000. For the last few years our meet director has been the booster club president, so not paid but the hours that they put into being the meet director means that they don't have to partake in any of the other booster club fundraisers for the rest of the year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back