WAG Meet hair - wish me luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2twingymnasts

Proud Parent
This weekend is my daughters first meet of the season. Her coach wants all the girls to have french braids in the front coming around their heads. I learned from my daughter that this style is called the headband braid. I'm not very good at doing hair so this is causing me some stress. I'm a little nervous for my daughter as she has been out for several weeks due to a couple injuries but I'm extremely nervous for me because I have to do the hair! :eek:

I found this video on youtube and thought I would share since it nicely demonstrates the headband braid. I'm going to practice on my daughter tonight when she gets home from practice. Wish me luck!

How To Do A Headband Braid - YouTube

Good luck! I'm so bad with DD's hair that the head coach once suggested I take privates to learn how to do it (I think she was 1/2 kidding). DD has managed to medal in every meet, so lack of follicle skills shouldn't rule the day - it just serves to raise the stress level for us poor souls.

I often think that all the hair doers (I can't say mums, because there are at least two dads in our squad who do their daughter's hair, rather than their partners!) should get together and swap tips. Yes, I reckon I do a pretty good job of my daughter's hair, but I know there are things I could learn from others. Is it something we could do over the internet with just descriptions only? Probably not...

Good luck! I think the matching hair styles are cute...but french braiding gets me frustrated. All the little hairs just never go where I want them too.

Good luck. I find doing the hair super stressful!

First time daughter did a dance exam, there were no seats left in the dressing room- she had her leo on under her clothes but I had to stand in the middle of the room and do a bun for the first time ever, with a whole room full of parents sitting in a circle watching me. Thankfully it worked out ok and two mums clapped, lol, but I still have nightmares about it!

That style looks lovely. Might it be slightly easier if the hair was a bit damp so you can tame any flyaways?

It's a cute style, but I can't believe the gym requires it for all girls. When I was competing my mom couldn't even get my hair in a ponytail (fortunately it was very short until I was old enough to pull it back myself), we would have been sunk if something this challenging were a requirement! I'm sure the team will look great, though! Good luck!

This thread makes me want to cry. I'm mourning the loss of my daughter's locks. She has been asking for a chin/shoulder length hair style and I finally decided to let her do it. It's her hair and I remember how much I resented my mother telling me how to wear my hair.

But meet hair was one of my favorite parts of meet preparation. So yeah, if you're anywhere in Region 5 let me know and I'll come do the headband braid. It was Bella's go to hair style for a lot of school days.

Going to go weep now....

if you're anywhere in Region 5 let me know and I'll come do the headband braid.

I'm in Michigan. DD competes at 8AM on Saturday. What time will you be here? Just kidding.

I didn't get to practice it last night because DD had too much homework and we already know that she will have too much tonight too. So Wednesday night I hope to try it out.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back