WAG Meet not telling girls their scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would prefer to see the scores too. Not that the score itself is important, but I prefer transparency. In my opinion, having to fudge scores in order for them to have to score out of level suggests that they aren’t ready for the next level. The mobility score is there for a reason. It provides some level of safety and accountability to make sure the gymnasts are ready for the next level. I’m tired of going to meets and watching gymnasts throwing skills that they shouldn’t be because they aren’t doing it safely. Sometimes it’s very clear that a child isn’t ready for the level that they are competing to the point that I worry they will injure themselves at a meet. If they are doing a mobility meet to move up, why not share the scores?

My opinion is that these serve more as a way to train towards a goal and manage progress as opposed to setting a bar that needs to be reached to progress to the next level. Goals, timeframe, effort, attitude and possibly pressure; the things our girls will need to understand and manage to be successful as an adult. If they work hard and are close to the goals, move them to the next level. As parents we need to remember, there is more to the sport than levels and scores.
I think you misunderstood this post, most people are talking about score out in house meets to skip a level. (Usually level 5) where there is in fact a required min score to move on. That being said, our coaches don’t have anyone try that they aren’t confident will get the score. It’s super low stress, and the couple girls who had weird falls that day got to try again a few days later.

In my opinion, having to fudge scores in order for them to have to score out of level suggests that they aren’t ready for the next level.
I agree and disagree. I would hope that the coaches use this "power" responsibly and because they know a kid will be more successful at say level 6 than level 5. I also think if they do this the coach has a responsibility to make sure the kids can successfully and safely compete optionals which could mean more work over the summer.

My kid scored out of level 5 (I don't think they had to fudge her scores but I do think they were generous in their scoring). She was just never a good compulsory gymnast and it would at times hurt her confidence. She has done really well at level 6 and 7 and is almost ready for 8 now. Had we been required to do a full year at level 5 I am not sure she would have made it to optionals. I like that our gym has this approach. But I agree I have seen some kids at level 6/7 and wonder why they were pushed to that level because they are lacking some of the basics.

I just get a bit touchy when people get stuck on how critical level 5 is and you can't be successful without it and the score out meets mean they aren't proficient enough to be a level 6---I know that's not what you said by the way so not trying to be critical :)

I agree and disagree. I would hope that the coaches use this "power" responsibly and because they know a kid will be more successful at say level 6 than level 5. I also think if they do this the coach has a responsibility to make sure the kids can successfully and safely compete optionals which could mean more work over the summer.

My kid scored out of level 5 (I don't think they had to fudge her scores but I do think they were generous in their scoring). She was just never a good compulsory gymnast and it would at times hurt her confidence. She has done really well at level 6 and 7 and is almost ready for 8 now. Had we been required to do a full year at level 5 I am not sure she would have made it to optionals. I like that our gym has this approach. But I agree I have seen some kids at level 6/7 and wonder why they were pushed to that level because they are lacking some of the basics.

I just get a bit touchy when people get stuck on how critical level 5 is and you can't be successful without it and the score out meets mean they aren't proficient enough to be a level 6---I know that's not what you said by the way so not trying to be critical :)
The problem is that there are coaches who don’t use their power responsibly. Their athletes need some level of protection and that’s where the mobility score helps. If we want more transparency and accountability in coaching to help keep athletes safe, I think mobility meet scores should be included.

I know level 5 is a pain. My kid was not great with compulsories and so far has enjoyed more success in Optionals. But a 32 mobility score should not be difficult to achieve if a kid is really ready for Optionals.

If they are being judged then they should get their scores. I would have a huge problem with this.

I would most definitely want scores and would probably be upset if they weren’t given; however, achieving a mobility score and ‘scoring out’ could mean completely different things. I tend to agree that a gymnast that cannot obtain a 32 for mobility is more than likely not ready for the next level and will likely struggle to keep up as they continue to move through the levels. The score needed to score out is often set by the coaches so it’s at their discretion and could fluctuate. If it’s been said that only one gymnast will ‘score out’, there’s your answer and it doesn’t really matter what the cards say.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back