Meet Report - First X-Cel Meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
Alex had a pretty good meet considering it was her first of the season!! She for the first time in her gym career was very nervous. I think it had to do with having her own routines.

First on Floor - this is never her strongest event. 8.2 no place

Next to Vault - she placed 6th with a 8.35

On to Bars - 8.55 - 2nd place. I thought her routine looked awesome. She had a start value of 9.7 because her clear hip was not all the way to horizontal. Optional scoring is very confusing!!!!

Then beam - a few wobbles but no falls!!!!! 8.325 4th place

AA - 33.425 4th place (1st place was a 35.0)

Now that the first meet jitters are over with it looks like she will have a great season!! I am very proud of her!!

awesome first meet ! great for your DD to get the first meet jitters out of the way. I think she will get more & more comfortable with her own routines & be rocking by States.

A good start to the season! What state are you in and what level is she? dd is in platinum this year. Her first meet is in November but her true season doesn't start until January

We are in Missouri and there is only one level of x-cel. The skills are similar to Level 6 skills. Not sure what the skills are for platinum but I am thinking Alex would fall in the gold or platinum level if we were in a different state.

Good job Alex! Sounds like she did a great job. 35 as 1st place too, seems like scoring was tough huh? So how was it for you getting to see all the different routines? Could you tell what was going to score well and what wasn't? I am just so excited for my DD's first Xcel meet too...no idea what to expect and no idea what her start values are either, I didn't really know they could be different until you mentioned that!!
I have no doubt she is going to have a great season! :)

It was really hard to tell. I guess the coach gives the judges a card that states what each girls start value is based on what they have been doing in practice or warm ups? Not sure but only 1 girl on our team started with a 10.0 start value. Even still Alex tied her score with having a 9.7 start value. Very hard to understand but here is a video of her bar routine.

[video]http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=f8aab10c34c09c5ec0869e&skin_id=601&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url[/video]

It was really hard to tell. I guess the coach gives the judges a card that states what each girls start value is based on what they have been doing in practice or warm ups? Not sure but only 1 girl on our team started with a 10.0 start value. Even still Alex tied her score with having a 9.7 start value. Very hard to understand but here is a video of her bar routine.

[video]http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=f8aab10c34c09c5ec0869e&skin_id=601&utm_so urce=otm&utm_medium=text_url[/video]

She did great! So strange about the 9.7 thing. Love her leotard, too!

re: start values

I know in NC, the all the prep-op levels start as 10.0 When the judge realizes that a skill has been missed (or done but not to the level needed to count - like the free hip to horizontal - or a higher level banned skill was done), then the judge will change the score card from 10.0 to whatever the new value is. This usually happens right after the routine, as they are scoring. We have had several instances of judges "not seeing" a skill and lowering the start value, then having the coach present the mom's video (instant replay!) showing yes - it was included. sad but true...

a missed skill brings it down .5 for us. a banned skill (using a C or higher skill except the accepted level 7 c skills) brings it down 2.0 - yes you read that right! We typically only have seen that when a team comes in from outside the region and has not reviewed the region 8 rules.

Congrats on a great start to the season!

A 9.7 start value sounds like a missing "b" skill, that is usually .3 off the start value, but I don't really know x-cel rules and a clear hip needs to be at or above horizontal to be a "b". Your dd is close, won't be long until it is up where it needs to be!

Again, great job!

WTG to your DD. Sounds like she had a great first meet. Sounds like the scoring was really tough. Not much wiggle room between 1st and 4th

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back