Parents Meet report: Judges' Cup..ups and downs!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
Thank you to all who shared those fairies with us yesterday. Older DD did well...definitely some good, some bad, and some ugly!

The meet was super cute Halloween-themed with day-glo all over the place and "carnival games" between each event.

First up was vault...not her strength but she must have done ok because she got a 9.0! First 9 ever on vault! (good for 10th place!):)

Next up...bars...her best event...did a really nice routine but took a big step out on the landing...but still good enough for 9.125 and FIRST PLACE! :D

So..we were thinking...we are on our way with 2 good scores first off!

Next...beam...The beam was put right in the middle of floor and bars so there were distractions from either side. DD said it felt wobbly too...girls were falling off left and right. Anyway she got up there and looked petrified. She stayed on! YAY! But she was very wobbly and had a couple real big fights to stay on. 3/4 handstand wasn't great either. Dismount looked good to me. Anyway she got a 8.55 and we found out later that was with a -.10 for overtime!:( Let's see, I think she got 8th on beam.

Last...floor. Here is where the ugly came in. She was last to compete on floor and had to wait a LONG time. Floor is weak for her anyway but her routine was off in many places...just off...and she almost fell on her RO BHS. Got a full -.5 deduction on that skill alone. Ended up with a 8.3 which is really much lower than we expected. Didn't place on floor.:(

AA she had a 35.025 and got 6th. She needs a 36 AA to move up to L5 next season so we have a ways to go...but also 7-8 meets left!

She was happy, had fun, I know she was disappointed in her floor routine, she has worked really hard on it but it just did not click. I will get video up on youtube later and I would love if some of you would watch and let me know what you think she can improve on with floor. Other than the RO BHS.

We are very glad to have that first meet of the year done and look forward to our next one in 4 weeks!

Oh, and I almost forgot...her level 4 team placed FIRST out of 13 teams!:D:D

Thanks for reading...I know this got long! But I needed to share our ups and downs of the day!

THose were some great acores and I have no doubt that she will hit that 36AA during the season. THe scores normally creep up bit by bit.

Lovely that she got to bring home some bling and that the team placed so well.

It sounds like it was a very tough competition! A 9.0 and 10th place on vault is rough. And a 9 on bars at her very meet of the season is Awesome. She has many more meets left and I don't doubt she will get her 36AA to move up.

I can't wait to see the video. Tell your dd she has plenty to be proud of. Great Job!:D

Yes, it was VERY tough competition and tough judging too! I think the highest score I saw all day was a 9.5 and there were maybe 2 of those!

I had heard that Judges' Cup was the toughest meet of the year as far as judging...and scores were indeed very tough and very tight! I hope you both are right that the scores will creep up but she also needs to get that evil back handspring looking better!;) Oh that skill is her arch enemy! She does it, it just isn't pretty!

Nice work, and very solid scores, especially for a 1st meet! There must have been some fierce competition for a 9 to take 10th place on vault!

Tell her congratulations from Bean and I! I'll watch the video with Bean and see if she has any thoughts. I usually see WAY more right than wrong when I watch our chalkbucket kids perform, but Bean can be more objective.

I have most of the videos on youtube now! Please excuse my fussing at my youngest, and my shameless screaming and cheering! They are unedited...but hey, y'all are family, right?:)

Please feel free to share thoughts. After watching them again...I am still not sure how that floor routine pulled a 8.3 even with the really not very good BHS!:eek: I thought everything else looked ok. I know...8.3 on the first meet of the season is good...but lower than last season's scores! Sighhhh.

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Last edited:
She did a great job! Great scores for a first meet, and 2 9's! I agree, she'll have no problem getting that 36! I laughed when I read your last post, I am always saying something that gets caught on video while I'm filming:rolleyes:! It's like, time to put the music in to cover up mom! Glad she had such a fun meet!

Congrats on your DD's first meet and great scores! Her AA was awesome for a 1st meet!

A 9.0 on vault for 10th place does not seem unreasonable based on what I've seen- in Level 4 vault there are some crazy high scores.

Wow! Awesome first meet of the season! She will get that 36 in no time!! Going to bed, but will watch her videos tomorrow. :)

She did a great job! I laughed when I read your last post, I am always saying something that gets caught on video while I'm filming:rolleyes:! It's like, time to put the music in to cover up mom! !

LOL.:D I went in and added up music to the floor routine where I was desperately trying to keep my 3 y.o from running on to the floor to "help".!!!:p

Sounds like she did really well! With 7-8 meets still left, I'm sure she'll hit the 36 AA her gym wants her to have. Congrats to her!!

I think she did a great job. She is so close to a 36 AA she will easily make that.

Thanks. I really hope so. Judges' Cup is known for tough judging so I am hoping if she can fix her RO BHS and get the beam bobbles under control we will get there at some point this season! :)

Can't see the videos? And I can't remember if we are already subscribed to you. Will go look through my subscriptions. LOL.

found them. :)

vault looked great, short runway though, huh?

beam was very nice. nice scale and dismount!

floor- DD watched with me and i asked her to look at her floor, she said "the wobble after her split jump, the pivot turn before handstand bridge kickover should be in releve and sharper, bent knee in kickover, turning her hips out in the hop after the leap (but said her leap was very nice), back roll was nice, biggest thing was her ROBHS." i agree with her. her leap is beautiful, but she turns out in that hop that comes after it. i don't think they are supposed to. it is almost like she is doing what they do in L5 routine, maybe imitating them? i am not an expert though and DD is 7. LOL.

i think the ROBHS is killing her the most. she looked great otherwise and will do great this season!! :) i have to laugh that abby thinks she is such an expert. she does seem to know what things are supposed to look like, just can't quite do it all herself yet. LOL.

Oops. I went in and put the correct link to my videos in my signature! Sorry!

found them. :)

vault looked great, short runway though, huh?

beam was very nice. nice scale and dismount!

floor- dd watched with me and i asked her to look at her floor, she said "the wobble after her split jump, the pivot turn before handstand bridge kickover should be in releve and sharper, bent knee in kickover, turning her hips out in the hop after the leap (but said her leap was very nice), back roll was nice, biggest thing was her ROBHS." i agree with dd. her leap is beautiful, but she turns out in that hop that comes after it. i don't think they are supposed to. it is almost like she is doing what they do in L5 routine, maybe imitating them? i am not an expert though and dd is 7. LOL.

i think the ROBHS is killing her the most. she looked great otherwise and will do great this season!! :) i have to laugh that abby thinks she is such an expert. she does seem to know what things are supposed to look like, just can't quite do it all herself yet. LOL.

Thanks for all the feedback! I really am becoming not-a-fan of that ROBHS. She can do it way better than that. She blamed it on the floor being "hard". LOL.:p

Last edited:
Sounds like she did a great job! I haven't had time to watch the video yet but I wanted to say I think she will get a 36.. especially with 7 meets left!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back