Meet season has started

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymbabisMom

Parent/Coach
We have been to 2 meets so far. Gymbabi decided to compete the first two meets as a level 7 and did real well. Next week will be as a level 8. Hope she qualifies for state. Cross your fingers for us!

Glad to hear things are going well. What are some of the new skills that gymbabi will be competing?

She's going to compete her suk, and with any luck a toe on hect and her layout full. We still aren't sure about the last two, consistency isn't there yet. She just started landing the suks on the floor (not the pit) a few weeks ago. They look really good to me but I guess they are still a little low.

Are the toe on hects just inconsistent, or do they not look so good?

Good stuff! Don't be too worried about her tsuk--the very first meet i competed it (as well as 5 other ppl) none of us had done any w/o spot on the competition mats...lol---and we all made them!

Totally...Tsuks are a lot easier at a meet....adrenaline kicks in.:vault:

That's what our coach said...
The toe on hect, I haven't seen her do it in ages, so I have no idea what might be the problem with it, and actually she hasn't worked it this week so I don't think she's going to do it this meet. The last few weeks her layout flyaway has gone bye bye (she's been doing those beautifully for over 2 years now) so we are concentrating on getting past that. She needs a decent dismount more that the release move anyway. Why is gymnastics such a head trip???

It has always been my experience that the biggest challenges for boys are physical and the biggest challenges for girls are psychological.

Yeah, there is this one girl, I think she's 11 or 12 and she has major problems right now. (level 7) She won't do a r/o bhs(floor), her front hand pike sometimes, or her bhs on beam. AND she's winning floor when she doesn't do back tumbling, only front. Isn't that just sick?

I can completely agree about the psychological issues being the hardest after watching Ash practice/compete. It took her forever to do a r/o bhs without a spotter. She could do it.. and most of the time the coach wasn't even touching her, just standing there with her arm out, but would pull back just as she started the bhs. Finally, her coach told her she wasn't helping her... and once Ash realized she'd been doing it all alone the whole time.. she started doing them like crazy! She would do them all day long on the tramp if they let her, but refused to do it on the floor without someone there until they told her she wasn't even touching her. The look on Ash's face was priceless once she realized she had been doing it all along!!

It has always been my experience that the biggest challenges for boys are physical and the biggest challenges for girls are psychological.

A stereotype that does hold true most of the time. Just watch out for the few that it doesn't hold true for, they can end up being your best gymnasts.;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back