Meet this weekend

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjourneymom

Proud Parent
Well, DD has been working hard & it looks like she'll be competeing all 4 events this weekend(yeah!). I didn't post about her last meet b/c it was so bitter sweet. She had come in 1st on 2 events, 3rd on another. But had to scratch from bars b/c of this new fly away fear(& coach's refusal to "spot" her). She was so upset to be out of the AA! I guess that was part of coach's plan, to give her the drive, to go for her flyaway once again. Now she's got her flyaway back...as long as the coach stands nearby. Which to my amazement, he IS willing to do(just won't physically spot her). This is fine b/c she doesn't need a physical spot...just a "mental spot", if you know what I mean. She has the skills beautifully...she's just afraid to go for them. Unless she knows someone she trusts, is watching her closely "just in case". It's all mental. Maybe coach is finally starting to understand that. I'm glad the test of wills has subsided for now & they have both given in a bit! Or maybe I should say, stepped up a bit. So we're looking for luck this weekend. The "go for it" fairy would be most helpful:D.

Sending the "Go for it" and the "I can do it" Fairies your way. SO glad she will get to do all 4. Hopefully she has a good meet and it reinforces her self confidence in her newly relearned skills.

Keep up the great Mom work, you're doing a great job with her.

Last edited:
Sending losts of good luck and Go For It! wishes as well!! I'm so glad to hear things are going well for both of you!!! That's awesome and puts a smile on my face and some relief in my heart for you guys!!!!

Good luck!!!

Thanks so much Bog & MdgymMom!!! So many times lately I've just want to say her "Enough, I'm not going to let you pressure yourself like this anymore". But she wants to continue & wants to "handle it". 13yrs is such a tough age! I've just been letting her do her thing & I'm being supportive of her. The last meet was too heartbreaking for me to even post about. She knew the night prior to the meet she wasn't going to compete bars. She spent the night in her room & was crying at times, both very unlike her. She was mentally working through the thought of; no bars=no AA. In the morning I didn't think she'd want to even go to the meet. But in the morning she was up bright & early & in a good mood. I feel like she turned a corner that night...mentally. She went into that meet knowing she wasn't doing bars...so she gave it her all, in the 3 events she did compete! She looked so happy out there...her usual happy, bouncy self! But I felt so bad knowing that this fear of her fly away(which she CAN do, beautifully)kept her from probably being high in the AA. I was very proud of her...as always! But hurting for her also! Very bitter sweet! She is one tough cookie for such a little thing!!! She had a good time at the meet. Cheering on her teammates, who placed in the AA, even though she had actually placed higher than them on 3 events. She had such grace & handled it all so maturely!!!She totally amazes me on a daily bases! So she's going into this meet planning on competeing all 4 events. She needs all the "go for it" & "you can do it" fairies you can send! I hope it goes well for her! She's been working so hard!Thanks for your support & encouragement, DD & I both need it & appreciate it!:)

Last edited:
I hope that flyaway sticks around for her and look forward to hearing how well she does in the AA!! hoping some of that 'I can do it" rubs off in our direction in time for Gymnix next weekend ;)

Yaaay! Good for her for getting to do all 4 events. She is one tough cookie, and very determined, to be working through all her fears. Glad the coach is supporting her a bit more, small as the gesture is (stading nearby while she does the flyaway). It means something to your dd, and that helps her, I 'm sure.

Sending her loads of confidence for the meet, and continued confidence to keep at it, for the rest of the season! You can DO it, gymjourneydd! We're all w/ you! :grouphug:

Wow I give her props to be cheering on her teammates and having such a good attitude! True team spirit :] Good luck to her at the meet, hope she does great and has lots of fun! I'm sure her flyaway will go well!

GOOD Luck to your Gymmie - even though it doesnt sound like she needs it! She is a tough little girl. A good friend's daughter wrote "I CAN DO IT" on her hand when she was struggling with a skill.. and guess what? She Did it in competition! The mind sets are incredibly important!

Tons of "flyaway fairies" headed your way. I've found with my gymmie, sometimes they have to hit bottom so to speak to rebound and really get it all together. We seem to go through a "hit bottom" time each season.

Will be looking for great reports about her bars this weekend!

Tons of "flyaway fairies" headed your way. I've found with my gymmie, sometimes they have to hit bottom so to speak to rebound and really get it all together. We seem to go through a "hit bottom" time each season.

Will be looking for great reports about her bars this weekend!
Thanks GLM! You are so right about hitting rock bottom before rebounding. I just get so worried & wonder how much can she take??? Why does she do this to herself??? Just about when I'm ready to say..."maybe you should just throw in the towel, all this stress can't be healthy"...she just turns around & amazes me. She just loves the sport...everything about it...good & bad. I don't think gymmies get enough credit for how mentally tough(along with physically tough) this sport is. I can honestly say my 13 yr old DD is waaaay tougher than me! And I mean that as a compliment, (not disrespectful type tough...but strong/focused type tough). I wish I had her drive & determination(especially about exercise:rolleyes:, LOL). I'm in awe of all gymnasts & all they go through! Thanks for sending the fairies...we'll put them to work! Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have good news to report:).

Last edited:
Well good luck!!!! Sending lots of smiles, good wishes, and hugs from the valley! Can't wait to hear all about the meet!!
We actually have a free weekend coming up which is rare.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back