Parents Meet Travel Dilemma

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momofthreegirls

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi everyone - I'm looking for some input from some more experienced gym parents.

My DD has her very first L4 meet in a little over a week from now. It's almost a 4 hr drive from our house, and her session is at 11AM. I booked a hotel, since DD and my DH are not morning people. I was concerned about having trouble getting them up and ready, and then having a stressful, rushed trip and possibly getting lost or being late. I'd much rather enjoy the afternoon at our hotel (the stars aligned and my DH and DD both have the day before the meet off of work/school), and then get a full night's sleep and have time to get ready and eat a good breakfast.

I was under the impression (from veteran gym parents) that our usual practice would be cancelled. Well, it turns out there IS practice the night before the meet. Now I'm not sure if I should cancel the hotel room so she doesn't miss that last practice. If we leave for the hotel after practice, we won't get there until midnight. We don't get penalized for missing practice if we are traveling early.

I guess I just don't know how important the last practice before a meet is to a young gymnast. I don't want her to miss out on something crucial.

So now I have to choose between taking DD to practice and having a likely rushed, stress-filled early morning before the meet, or missing practice and having more time to relax and prepare.

What would you do?

i there is no penalty for missing the practice I would leave for the trip. you want her tfirst meet experience to be fun & exciting not a nerve racking mess.

i know at our gym if you miss practice the week of a meet you dont compete (exceptions have been made in certain circumstances) so, i would recommend double checking that there is no penalty & enjoy the weekend. good luck to your DD !

I think that a good night's sleep trumps just about anything, including practice. I would think that, with the meet so far away, coaches should be understanding about you wanting to leave early and spend the night. Ask the coach. It's not an unreasonable request.

I also would skip practice and leave for the meet. My dd used to have practice on Tuesdays and Saturdays so when we had meets on Saturdays, her last practice was 4 days prior and still did fine at the meets.

I agree that her first meet should be enjoyable and stress free!! Plus, that 4-hour drive is a biggie and I would definitely want to get that drive behind me and then be able to relax and wake-up and have a stress-free, relaxed morning.

Don't worry about her "last practice"...she'll either br ready (or not ) by then so go onto the hotel...

I'm with the others-as long as she wouldn't be penalized for missing, I'd choose skipping the practice and getting a good night's sleep. Way less stress, IMO. Good luck to her!!

I agree with all the rest here:D! If there is a rule at her gym about missing practice prior to a meet discuss your situation with DD's coach. Getting a good nights rest & going into the meet with less stress for everyone involved is the most important factor to me. Missing that last practice isn't going to make or break anything. Just let the coach know in advance. Good luck & have fun!!!!:D

The coach may have some insight on whether skipping practice or having a rough morning would adversely affect competition. I too vote for skipping practice, but I would want to hear what the coach thinks too.

No question what all us parents think on this. No rushing or arriving late and tired - just a pleasant drive, relaxed dinner and good rest are more important than one practice. Also, did you read the thread about what to pack and how to prepare for a meet for dd and mom - there is some very good advice there too. Good luck to your dd.

Ditto what everyone else said.

And it goes about times 10 if there is a possibility of inclement weather. NOTHING is worse for your little athlete (or you) than leaving the house at 6 am when it's still dark and trying to drive to an unfamiliar location in the snow or ice.

As long as there will be no repercussions with the gym I would definitely be keeping the hotel room.

Both my girls skipped that Friday night practice many times, we lived further North of our gym than any other families and so we had to do hotel stays way more often. The coaches were very understanding once I explained.

Plus hotels before meets are FUNFUNFUN!

I would be appalled if there were a "repercussion" for missing a practice for travel for a little Level 4....

I'm with everyone else if there is no issues with not going to practice then a good night sleep is more important.
Wish we had that option at my DD's gym ours is if you miss the last practice before a meet you won't compete so we would have to opt to arrive at midnight.

leave and skip! :) No question about it. Kudos to your gym for not penalizing her for leaving early!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back