Parents Meet Travel Dilemma

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If my DD has an early time the next day and it's a travel meet, we miss practice the night before. She's been practicing 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day for 4 days a week, missing that one won't hurt. It will also lesson the chance of injury.

I echo others, talk with the coach. Also keep in mind, it may be a short practice wher the kids do a "one touch." This is where the kids go through their routines on each apparatus and then they're done. I'm really surprised you have a 1st meet that is 4 hours away in PA. Also to have practice the night before a 4 hour travel meet sounds like a recipe for overtired gymnasts, but hey that's just me. Hope all works out.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. We got a note from the coach, and the Friday-night practice before the meet is optional. So I went ahead and booked a hotel room. I figured this will make DD's first meet a fun, memorable experience. She is in a tough age group (competing as an 8 year old) and this is her first year at L4 (most of her teammates in her age group are 2nd-year L4s), so there's a chance she may not medal on anything. So anything that makes this experience less disappointing, and more fun will be a bonus. (And we got a room with a jacuzzi bath - it was only $10 more with my AAA card. This is a surprise for DD, and she'll love it.)

Thanks for all the replies and advice. We got a note from the coach, and the Friday-night practice before the meet is optional. So I went ahead and booked a hotel room. I figured this will make DD's first meet a fun, memorable experience. She is in a tough age group (competing as an 8 year old) and this is her first year at L4 (most of her teammates in her age group are 2nd-year L4s), so there's a chance she may not medal on anything. So anything that makes this experience less disappointing, and more fun will be a bonus. (And we got a room with a jacuzzi bath - it was only $10 more with my AAA card. This is a surprise for DD, and she'll love it.)

That sounds like such a fun experience for your DD! Best of luck to her and I hope she has an enjoyable memorable experience, from the hotel to the meet.

Often times our gym would have short practices the night before meets. However, the gym is 60-90 minutes to the west on the interstate and the majority of the meets are in the major metro area about 1 1/2- 2 hours to the east of us. We almost always opted out of these last minute short optional practices, as they were mostly warm ups. Even at higher levels DD did the warm up and stretch routine at home or at school. Coaches were always okay with this.

Sorry just seeing this (not sure how..lol). I agree with everyone else..sleep sleep sleep. But sounds like you got it all worked out and have a fun and exciting trip planned..that happens to have a meet involved in it..lol. Im sure she will have a blast. Keep us posted on how she does. My DD is a first year L4 too..so I know how you feel about her being their with alot of repeating L4s.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back