WAG Meets that Provide Leo

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wasn't sure how to title this, and hopefully I'm worrying about something that won't turn out to be an issue, but I'm curious about meets that have a giveaway leo that they have all the girls wear for the meet itself.
We are heading to one in a few weeks and I'm wondering, has anyone run into a situation where the leo does not fit a kid? I tried to get size info from parents, but I had a few parents who didn't reply and a few who gave me sizes that seemed a little off for their kid, but I supplied them with size charts, so figured they knew what they were talking about. The leos are also from a brand (pretty major one) that our kids don't typically wear. And while I had one in my prize leo pile which I offered as a sizing sample, none of the parents took me up on it.
If we have a kid with a too small leo, do we just have them suck it up, squeeze them in, and compete in it?

We've received leos at several meets but have never worn them at the meet itself. In fact, out of 4 years competing, I can't think of a time I saw a team wear the giveaway Leo.
I guess I would hope that we could switch within the group to make it work...or hopefully the event will have extras...

We've received leos at several meets but have never worn them at the meet itself. In fact, out of 4 years competing, I can't think of a time I saw a team wear the giveaway Leo.
I guess I would hope that we could switch within the group to make it work...or hopefully the event will have extras...
It's a fundraiser meet, so the leos are handed out before the meet and all girls wear the same one to compete to show support for the organization.

It's a fundraiser meet, so the leos are handed out before the meet and all girls wear the same one to compete to show support for the organization.

Ok. Gotcha! Well, I'm sure y'all aren't the only gym concerned about mis-sizing. So surely the host Gym will be prepared...hopefully!

We went to a pink meet, where everyone wore the same leotard. It was the same brand as our comp leo, so the gym submitted those sizes. They also sent them ahead, so the girls could have them beforehand. I think, if there was a size issue, the coach could tell them, as they had more.

Never have I seen or heard of competition that gives away a Leo. How expensive are the entry fees to cover this?

We've attended several meets that have given away leos. Comp fees were anywhere between $110 and $125. Pink Invitational gives out pink leos for everyone to wear at their meet. We've attended Pink twice. The first time our coaches told us we had to be accurate with giving our sizes because there are no exchanges at the meet. The second time, I recall one of our gymnasts had Leo too small and the coaches were able to exchange it. I think the meet director informs the coaches that there will not be any exchanges but if there are left over Leos, they do exchanges. I just don't think they keep a lot of extras on hand. So if your girls are in the first few sessions, you may get lucky. Towards the end, you may not.

The leos were also given to us right before our session which was a little too worrisome for the girls. So the coaches have sometimes asked for the Leos the day before (or the session before) and they were handed to them.

Thanks for the info! We do compete early in the meet, so hopefully if needed we can scrounge up an exchange. The info says you can only pick up before each session, so I'll need to have someone run out while one group is competing to grab leos for the next session and get them handed out. I've warned the girls that they must have hair done and everything else ready to go before arriving to the meet so they can just throw on the leo and be ready to go, as I imagine so many girls changing into leos at once can cause quite the line.
Most of our girls don't wear leos to practice (shorts & tank top), or if they do they are often leos from Target/Justice that come in regular kids sizes, so the parents are pretty clueless as to leo size. The company providing the leo for this meet had a good sale the other day so I picked up a few leos for my prize box and when they arrived is when I started to panic. I'm pretty sure some of my girls whose parents told me CM will really need to squeeze themselves into it.

We usually go to 2 meets a year that provide leos to compete in. They have always been the same brand as our comp leo so the head coach gives the host gym the sizes. The leos have always been handed out at the meet before the session starts. We are always instructed to bring our comp leo with us just in case there is a problem with sizing.

Thanks for the info! We do compete early in the meet, so hopefully if needed we can scrounge up an exchange. The info says you can only pick up before each session, so I'll need to have someone run out while one group is competing to grab leos for the next session and get them handed out. I've warned the girls that they must have hair done and everything else ready to go before arriving to the meet so they can just throw on the leo and be ready to go, as I imagine so many girls changing into leos at once can cause quite the line.
Most of our girls don't wear leos to practice (shorts & tank top), or if they do they are often leos from Target/Justice that come in regular kids sizes, so the parents are pretty clueless as to leo size. The company providing the leo for this meet had a good sale the other day so I picked up a few leos for my prize box and when they arrived is when I started to panic. I'm pretty sure some of my girls whose parents told me CM will really need to squeeze themselves into it.

If it's pink you are attending, there are plenty of restrooms around in the convention center. We've never waited more than a few minutes to change. In the past I've also been able to exchange leotards within our gym's leotards. I've only really had one issue with a leo though and the leo was just too big (exchanged with an athlete who was scratching the competition).

We have been to a few of these. Most recent one was last month. Out optionals had lots of issues with sizing. The meet had zero extras so we had to switch among the girls to make them work. The ones that didn't fit had to just suck it up for the few hours they had to wear the leotard. I always bring a pair of nude underwear to these meets just in case the leotards are a bit loose. It's such a pain to have to wait in the long bathroom lines to get dressed in them and then you can't tell your kid from the rest. Meet fees for these meets are usually in the $125 range. Positive is the leotards are pretty!

If it is Pink, there are tons of bathrooms for girls to change in after they get leos. Yes, girls should have their hair done before they get there... if you look at report time vs. warmup time, they have time built in because they know there will be chaos and they try to be organized. For example, check in for first session is 7:15am, stretch is 8:15am, march in is 8:35am for one of the early sessions (brutally early, I know!).

If there is a major problem with the leo, talk to the person handing them out. They can try their best to make tweaks or exchanges, but they have to see the leo on the kid to make sure it is truly a major problem (at least I've heard that in the past). I don't think they order many extra ... it would get expensive. I know we (parents) had to sign off on the size for our kid before the gym would submit the size for the meet.

Yes, it is a pain to find your kid! they all look the same... especially when they all do their hair the same, too.... good luck!

If you qualify to state here, you get a leotard with the state name on the front. It's cool. All the girls wear it at the meet. I'm sure it is built into the cost of the meet, but it's kind of an honor to get the leotard and then they wear it to practice. Anyway....one year our coach submitted sizes without asking us. They gave my child an CM when she had been a CL for a year and preferred AXS. [emoji15] She squeezed into it uncomfortably and then never wore it again.

my 2 cents. i say include measuring chart and guidelines from company and write a full disclaimer and make them sign (coaches and parents) that they measured and agree to this size. note that you aren't ordering extras to be able to swap. make sure they know they are to wear it at the meet. some parents may be upsizing if their kids have a ton of leos and they don't know its for the meet. also remind parents brand sizing runs differently, but i would make them read, sign, and write down the size with an acknowledgment of this. honestly, you have to be this way in this day and time.

If you qualify to state here, you get a leotard with the state name on the front. It's cool. All the girls wear it at the meet. I'm sure it is built into the cost of the meet, but it's kind of an honor to get the leotard and then they wear it to practice. Anyway....one year our coach submitted sizes without asking us. They gave my child an CM when she had been a CL for a year and preferred AXS. [emoji15] She squeezed into it uncomfortably and then never wore it again.
I'm having visions of this happening to us! I don't think anyone would be off by more than 1 size- so I think it will be doable, some kids just might not be totally comfortable for the duration of the meet or able to wear their leo afterwards.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back