WAG Meets - the good, bad and ugly

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I thought it was USAG requirement that results be posted within a certain time frame of the meet.

Yes, but making the print out available at the meet to the coaches is technically making them available. I feel they should be posted because the print out is not usually easy to get from the head table even if it's "technically" available.

Reactions: sce

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 9.27.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 9.27.09 PM.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
On the note of scores (I'm sure the conversation has moved on, I'm a page or two behind but I'll catch up now), I really dislike ONE meet we go to for their scoring system. For whatever reason, they have decided to not show any scores as the event is going, but then flash ALL the scores at the end of the event. I don't know what their thought process is, but it's annoying and we all hate it.

On the note of scores (I'm sure the conversation has moved on, I'm a page or two behind but I'll catch up now), I really dislike ONE meet we go to for their scoring system. For whatever reason, they have decided to not show any scores as the event is going, but then flash ALL the scores at the end of the event. I don't know what their thought process is, but it's annoying and we all hate it.
I know there are some gyms that don't want their girls to see their scores, so at their hosted meets, they either don't flash them at all OR they wait til the last competitor is done on an event and flash them all like you said. That way the girls can't see what they got. I would not like that either.

I like when they place 1/3 on events and 1/2 on all around. No one wants to stand up in last place, they already know they had a bad day.

I don't care what order they do it in, but I do like when they announce a score for placement. Been to more than a few awards that a kid was forgotten. As in the computer system had them in a wrong age group or had lost them completely. It judge entered the score into system as incorrect kid. If it weren't for awards person stating a score the kid would never know that they should've been up there in 2nd place. If no score announced, kid just assumed that others must've scored higher, but if they hear "1st place with a 9.5, 2nd place with a 9.25" and they scored a 9.4.....well then they know to have coach (or parent..some coaches do not attend awards) pull announcer aside and ask if kid is in this age group, shouldn't she have placed?

Oh, I did have major issues with electronic scoring at states this year. If you're gonna have it, make sure you have a ticket for each event. 2 events scrolling on 1 ticket is a disaster. So many missed scores! They didn't put up about 5 kids in a row on one of the events. If you only have 2 tickers for 4 events, I'd rather go back to the old fashioned having a person hold up a score board way.

Don't care about anything else really, just as long as they are efficient and fast lol.

Today, at my DDs state championship, they gave awards to girls for the wrong competition level, and to a girl who didn't compete a particular event at all (she got 2nd place!). They also forgot to enter two of my DDs scores into the computer altogether. Also, apparently the program was a mess and they were there with pencils and calculators hand adding scores after the meet. My DD won 1st on an event, but her score on her medal was written wrong too. It was a bit of a mess. The people were all very nice, but it wasn't fun for my DD to be missing from two events.

Eta: for once I was really glad they went all the way out. Otherwise we wouldn't have known she was left out. Live scores were spotty and no online scoring (this was T&T and they don't have that), so we would have assumed she didn't place.

Today, at my DDs state championship, they gave awards to girls for the wrong competition level, and to a girl who didn't compete a particular event at all (she got 2nd place!). They also forgot to enter two of my DDs scores into the computer altogether. Also, apparently the program was a mess and they were there with pencils and calculators hand adding scores after the meet. It was a bit of a mess. The people were all very nice, but it wasn't fun for my DD to be missing from two events.

Wow! I'm so sorry that that happened. Did they correct the issue? or didn't you realize it until after the fact? I hope that they corrected it and called her back up to give correct placements

Wow! I'm so sorry that that happened. Did they correct the issue? or didn't you realize it until after the fact? I hope that they corrected it and called her back up to give correct placements

No, they couldn't find her scores anywhere, and said they would have to pull the original judges stuff at the end of the meet and find her. We were first session so it will be awhile. She didn't place well on those two, so it wasn't as big a deal as it could have been if it had happened on the event she won.

Wow. Never heard of such a thing and would imagine many not liking it. I wonder if that is reason enough for some gyms to choose not to attend the meet.

No, they couldn't find her scores anywhere, and said they would have to pull the original judges stuff at the end of the meet and find her. We were first session so it will be awhile. She didn't place well on those two, so it wasn't as big a deal as it could have been if it had happened on the event she won.

That is horrible!

That is by far the most ridiculous way to do scores! I would absolutely not want to go back to that meet again

First meet yesterday where 1st place was called first.

My husband noticed it was also the highest podium ever. No way the kids could hop into first. Usually the kids can just jump up and not walk past all the others. He wondered if that had something to do with it.

I went to a meet yesterday and all I could think about was this post!

They had little kids handing out medals and some girls got extra medals and some were missing them. they had to stop after the first two or three age groups and make sure everyone had the right number of medals and trophies etc. finally a coach from a different team stepped up and actually helped corral all of the little helpers.

They ended up running a total of 45 minutes over. And of course the next session was already there. So a bit of a mess to leave when there's only one way to get in and out of everything. I kept thinking- this is the stuff that drives parents crazy on that CB thread!

Was the podium not stair stepped????

It was but it was stair stepped out to 7th place. So it was rather high. Add in a couple of ties here and there and the podium gets rather crowded. Made sense to do have the highest spot go first. Not so much because of the place but literally the height.

Any other meet we have been to podium is usually only to third and the first place kid tends to just hop up.

It was but it was stair stepped out to 7th place. So it was rather high. Add in a couple of ties here and there and the podium gets rather crowded. Made sense to do have the highest spot go first. Not so much because of the place but literally the height.

At state this year awards were held in a conference room next to the main gymnasium. This room's ceiling was not very high. The podium was high enough that even a standard-sized gymnast could touch the ceiling while standing on the top spot. It made for some interesting "salute" pictures.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back