Parents Meets this Weekend?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nettyinpa

I was just wondering if anyone competed this weekend? How'd your girls do? Please share! :) Granny Smith, did you have the Pumpkin Cup this weekend? How did it go? I'm sure it was a long day for you!

Recent Meets

My daughter is in level eight and won't have a meet for almost two more months. But our compulsories just went to a meet called the Spooktacular. A Halloween, theme, of course. I can't wait to go to the gym to see how they did. Of course, I could look it up on the net. But thatwould take all the fun out of chatting with the other parents. Our level 4, 5 and 6s have placed 1st or 2nd as a team for the last 4 to 5 meets!

Tuduri

Granny Smith reporting.....

Granny Smith checking in here!

DD did have her Pumpkin cup this past weekend! She is a L7 for those who don't know and in NJ L7 season is in full swing. Overall it was a good meet for her - she did have a fall, but recovered well and not only were we very proud of her, but she was very proud of herself!

We started the day on Floor. I always hate starting on floor, I feel like the scores are going to be lower than if you finish with floor, but it's not like we have choice in the matter, so floor it is! She did good. Very bouncy landings - that's where she gets most of her deductions is her landings. She ended up with a 9.125 - 3rd place.

Onto Vault - her problem child. The past 2 seasons, she has started really slow on vault and then after a couple of meets, something clicks and her vaults get better. This is what happened again. Her vault has improved greatly. The last 2 meets she got and 8.1 and 8.7, on Saturday she goes out there and burns the runway and hits for a 9.2 - 6th place.

Next up bars - can't wait to get there. This is the event that she has been smoking on. She's doing a beautiful routine, goes to high bar cast handstand and plop - falls over. Coach puts her back on the bar, she casts to handstand again, giant layout flyaway, stuck landing, like there was glue on the bottom of her feet! It was a shame. I could see the disappointment in her face, but I am on the side thinking, please don't take it to beam... Anyways she gets a 8.65 - not too shabby considering she had a fall - that score placed 5th!

Finally the last event beam! I'm fearing this event because I can see her face and can only image what was going through her mind - cause I know she was still stuck on bars. She gets up. blows her back walkover into split, she knew her hands were too close to go for it, so she switches to plan B, so she doesn't fall. OK, I'm still fine on the side. She nails her BWO - BHS. Lastly, she just has to do that stinking full turn. That thing is gonna send me to an early grave - but not today folks, she it hit like she never hit it before - SOLID! She did take a huge step on landing - but who cares - full turn stuck, I'm elated! Score - 9.125 2nd place. Although the step on the landing was the difference between 1st and 2nd place (1st place score 9.15 - go figure at least it was her team mate!)

AA - 36.1, not bad with a fall. She ended up placing 3rd AA out of 15/16 girls. The girl who took 1st is a 2nd yr L7 and the 2nd place was her team mate, so her gym was once again well represented for her age group! YAHOO!

We have Sectional #2 this Sunday @ 4pm (the comment from dh was do you realize that we will be missing one of the best football games of the season Pats v. Colts - I agree with him, but it is definitely well worth it, besides that what highlight films are for!)

Granny Smith ~ Congrats to dd!! That's awesome! Sounds like she and her teammates are heading for a very solid season.:D My dd is getting worried that in 5 weeks they have their first meet and she still doesn't have her ROBH. Her coach says that it's okay, not a big deal at Level 4. I just worry that may have an impact on her routine. I'll have to remind her to just do her best, even if she doesn't get it.

I always tell my dd in regards to floor that you go out there and hold your head up and act like you are the best thing out there (even if you mess up.) I do believe to some degreee that the confidence that they show factors into their score.

Good luck in the upcoming weeks!

Granny Smith ~ Congrats to dd!! That's awesome! Sounds like she and her teammates are heading for a very solid season.:D My dd is getting worried that in 5 weeks they have their first meet and she still doesn't have her ROBH. Her coach says that it's okay, not a big deal at Level 4. I just worry that may have an impact on her routine. I'll have to remind her to just do her best, even if she doesn't get it.

way to go:) Sounds like she had a great meet:)
I can't wait to post my dd's first meet this season. As long as she doesn't fall, I think it is going to be a really strong meet for her:)

Meet scores

My dd competed in Jacksonville, Florida at the First Coast Invite as a level 4 this past weekend. The team took first in Levels 4, 5, and 6. It was my dd’s best meet yet.
Vault 9.1 2T
Bars 9.475 1
Beam 9.275 1
Floor 9.175 1
AA 37.025 1

She did have a small problem on vault. She was the last to vault in the entire session. The girl in front of her landed on her back and was reluctant to move. When she finally got up she scooted to the end of the mat leaving a slick trail behind her. Cleanup took about 5 minutes. My dd did not want to vault. Some coaches joked that she should have gotten an extra 10th. Most of her team was in the next session. They did not know about the accident. She did have a great time telling them about it Monday before training.

^^^^

tgc - that was a wonderful meet for your dd! 37+ in AA is awesome, she must of been proud of herself.

Way to go!

OK, another Pumpkin Cup-ee checking in, LOL

OK, our meet didn't go as nice as Granny Smith's daughter's did. Our girls did a very cute little skit though and our coach got an award!!! They were dressed up as clowns and did this thing with a tug-of-war and our coach was peddling around on this lil trike. Anyway, this was my daughter's third meet and after practice and late Halloween party for the team girls the night before she was butt ugly. Plus, she really is not used to these meets yet. You need to get there early (limited seating), warm-up, the meet, the awards, in total we were there about 4 1/2 hrs. She hardly ate any breakfast before, nothing to eat or drink during the meet except for a candy bar (LOL) and boy was she cranky!

So, I thought she did a little better than last meet, but now that I am looking at the scores she did a little worse. Bars were OK, much better than the first time (5.8 remember) she got a 7.8. Beam always looks sloppy, she got a 7.125. Vault which is usually her best & gets well over 8 she only got a 8.45. Floor last week she had a perfect ROBHS, this week she did not extend her arms (I can see it in the pictures posted by the photographer) and nearly landed on her head ....again! Told the coach next meet she's going in a bike helmet if she doesn't get this right soon. She got a 7.05. So, total was 30.425 which wasn't the worst, but I wish she would just show a little move improvement and get 31's or 32's this year. I know it's her first year & I am proud of her, but it's hard to be the "caboose" of the team, LOL

All of the scores are great! My DD is competing on the 11th, so I hope to post some scores for you all afterwards.

Blackie6

Just read about your dd. Maybe not the greatest, but that AA score does qualify her to Sectional.

Were you on Friday @ Rutgers or Sunday @ Bishop Ahr? By your description of lack of room, I am assuming that you were on Sunday @ Bishop Ahr. That's where we were on Saturday evening. I found the gym to be small with limited seating - we sat right on top of the bars.

Is your dd going to Sectional - I think L4 Sectional is next weekend sometime (10th/11th). If so, good luck!

We have our 2nd Sectional this Sunday - report time 4pm (yuck, I hate this time because you can't feed them dinner and you are always starving when you walk out around 8:30/9pm.) I normally throw a granola bar and other lite stuff in her gym bag so that she can eat if she wants, and I also give her a good filling early lunch. I personally would rather go at 8am - I'm an early riser....:p

My DD has her first meet in 2 weeks! I am nervous. She is only 6.
How do you know what scores you need to qualify for a sectional? This is all new to me.

My DD has her first meet in 2 weeks! I am nervous. She is only 6.
How do you know what scores you need to qualify for a sectional? This is all new to me.

Every state is different in how they handle Sectionals/Districts and stuff.

Blackie6 and I happen to live in the same state so I know how it works for NJ. there is probably a USAG page for your specific state and on that webpage most likely you will find a State Handbook which will give you all that info.

Good luck - I am assuming your dd is L4 or lower? She will do fine, just stress fun with her.

Meet this weekend

My dd's meet is this weekend in DC. She atteneded a "Moving Up" meet earlier this summer and scored out, but a low score-out. After a week @ IGC, her bars coach who also coaches for one of our local gyms up the road from us, recommended she stay Level 6 for a couple meets, she was having a hard time with a few bar skills, ie: flyaway.

After months of trying to get her to execute her flyaway and no luck, she decided last night was the night! After 6/7's rotated to the vault to practice for the meet, she decided she would go to the pit bar, with her coach's blessing and watchful eye. Level 8/9's were on the floor and watched her closely. They encouraged her, gave her mental conditioning for doing the trick and little by little her rotation increased. I was at the beams with the 5's with another coach and we watched from a distance, our hearts in total limbo. She did 2 complete rotations after 20 attempts...several times landing on her head, popping back up with thumbs up and pit blocks flying, climbed back to the pit bar....what moxie!!! Whatever changed in her, she over came the fear beast that had gripped her for months!

She will NOT be to adding it to her bar routine, simply dismounting out of her 3rd tap swing, so to speak. She's very confident about her other events and now feels on top of the world for her meet on Sunday afternoon...YES! during the football game of the year and my dh will be attending the meet. Our 16 ds will be home communicating with his dad periodically.

I'll post scores next week after the meet.

EveningDew - what a great story! She will have it in no time, because it sounds like she really wants it now.

PS - my dh said the same thing about the game of the yr! I say put the ear plug in your ear and listen to the game at the meet. Our report time is 4pm!

Good luck to your dd!

Congrats Blackie on your daughter's meet:) I think she did great:)
Our state qualifying score for level 4s is 28.
I am getting so excited for my daughter's first meet on the 10th.... It feels like forever. She is a repeat Level 4 this year and 8 years old. She has improved so much in her form from last year.

Granny Smith,
She did qualify for sectionals at the Acorn meet. So far all of her meets were at Bishop Ahr...it doesn't matter where I sit in that gym, I am always too close to her, LOL

If you want to see her first meet "Ready Set Go"(the not so good one) and the Acorn meet (floor only) go to YouTube and search under "Oobie1998" and you will find it there. I just learned to video (don't laugh my DH usually does it but was at work). My DH put it on there to show our family & friends. He did make a mistake though on the one she qualified for sectionals he wrote "District" on the video because he is used to Jr. baseball play-offs, LOL

We go next weekend to Envision for the sectionals. We are Sat I think around 12. Glad we didn't get the 8am one (they split our group up, coaches request)...I don't do mornings well. Maybe when she gets a little older. I call it the "hope" meet because I "hope" she doesn't land on her head during ROBHS. Coach is working with her tomorrow so we'll see what happens. The worst thing, she's not scared and doesn't care that she lands on it....refuses a spotter!

PS, for those that asked about the score for sectionals. Here in NJ it is 30 to go to sectionals and then a 32 to get to states. I am not thinking we'll get to states this year, but the experience & being able to go to meets has been great!

Granny Smith,

My daughter is also on that DSC photography site from the Pumpkin Cup. She is Session 7, Rotation 2 beam page 2 & 3 (purple leo, pink hair ribbons from her costume) and Rotation 3 floor pages 12 & 13 minus hair ribbons finally, LOL

It's weird to see her in pictures, but great to show her the arm problem during the hand spring! I like that she smiles, so many girls on ther team look so serious.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back