MAG Men’s squad trials

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hi
My son is 6 and very keen to pursue MAG.
He currently trains at a gym where team gym and tumbling are his only option.
One of the local clubs is planning an open trial. What sort of thing should he expect to be asked to do and what would they be looking for?
Thanks

So I’m not sure what the standards are over in the UK. But I think one of the main things they will look for is coachability. Does he take instruction well and able to apply it? I think having a positive attitude, a willingness to learn, and being coachable are the main things. Drills and skills can be taught. Strength and flexibility come with time.

But if you are looking for certain skills they might ask him to do, here are some suggestions. Mind you I have no idea about MAG in the UK. But perhaps cartwheel, somersault, can he pull himself up on a bar, even pull himself over it. Maybe hang on rings, or even swing a bit without instantly falling off. These are pretty basic skills that start preparing you for the first levels (pre-team) basically. I wish your son the best of luck. Tell him to smile and enjoy it!

So I’m not sure what the standards are over in the UK. But I think one of the main things they will look for is coachability. Does he take instruction well and able to apply it? I think having a positive attitude, a willingness to learn, and being coachable are the main things. Drills and skills can be taught. Strength and flexibility come with time.

But if you are looking for certain skills they might ask him to do, here are some suggestions. Mind you I have no idea about MAG in the UK. But perhaps cartwheel, somersault, can he pull himself up on a bar, even pull himself over it. Maybe hang on rings, or even swing a bit without instantly falling off. These are pretty basic skills that start preparing you for the first levels (pre-team) basically. I wish your son the best of luck. Tell him to smile and enjoy it!
Thanks. He’s got
good upper body strength. Can hang and swing on bar and same on P bars.
He can cartwheel and round off (but they need work) and is learning to flip in his classes at the moment.
He just loves gym and part of the interest in squads is just the chance to be able to go to gym more than he does!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back