men's team finals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Uchimura said "Winning the individual gold would make me happy but the team gold means you get five times the happiness". New favorite quote ever.

Okay first time I've tried to use a quote so I hope this works. Last season my son's team did a two day competition, one day was the individual and the second day was a team competition. After each event for the team competition they would show the standings for the different teams. They also had a lot of dramatic lighting and the cheering was incredibly loud but the kids had a blast. I hope our team does this particular meet again this year. I think the kids have more fun at this meet than any other meet. It was in Bakersfield not the most fun city to travel to but it was worth it. They had one group team competition for compulsory and a second group for optional.

Try sitting at a local restaurant with 35 people for 3 hours waiting. We all ended up going home. Had the whole team and families there...sad

Ugh that is horrible. I'm so sorry :( Even after all this time...only 15 minutes worth?? They said it'd be back on Late Night but this is so infuriating. I watched half of the livestream but had to leave to go coach so I missed the rest... only to come home to a recording of just swimming and diving. I stayed off social media all night because I didn't want to ruin the results...but ended up having to because I thought they'd never show them. Ugh.

Ugh that is horrible. I'm so sorry :( Even after all this time...only 15 minutes worth?? They said it'd be back on Late Night but this is so infuriating. I watched half of the livestream but had to leave to go coach so I missed the rest... only to come home to a recording of just swimming and diving. I stayed off social media all night because I didn't want to ruin the results...but ended up having to because I thought they'd never show them. Ugh.

That was our boys too. I felt so bad for them. They had fun, but still, would have been nice to cheer on their idols!

The Gymternet's best investigative journalists (Uncle Tim and the Balance Beam Situation) are digging into the Ukraine story. Oleg Verniaev posted a message yesterday saying that someone on the Ukrainian team was ill and came back from the hospital just before the meet, but there are substitution rules that should have accommodated that situation. (He also apologized to Team Switzerland.) Verniaev himself, who topped the AA standings on prelim day, competed two events in team finals and did not compete on some events where they only put up two routines. I would like to remind everyone once again that Kohei Uchimura competed every event yesterday.

To quote the legendary movie Dodgeball, "Interesting strategy there, Cotton!"

A writeup that puts the Ukraine situation in a much more favorable light: https://www.reddit.com/r/olympics/comments/4ww4y4/in_defense_of_the_ukrainian_mens_gymnastics_team/

Sorry, I am totally obsessed with this!

Wow! Such an interesting read....that really changes my perspective on the whole situation. I, too, thought it was just to rest before AA finals while also taking a stab at what happened in 2012. This makes me sad for the Ukraine to train in such dangerous conditions. Can you imagine Oleg Verniaev in an American facility? This guy would be unstoppable, talk about raw talent. It says he wouldn't even do a full routine until he got to competition because of his unsafe equipment...like, how can he just pull that out of nowhere???

Makes me want to almost root for the underdog. Of course I'll be cheering on USA 100%, but it would be kind of cool to see the underdog (Oleg Verniaev) dethrone Kohei Uchimura.... imagine what a Gold medal could do for the sport over there.

ATTENTION FELLOW CHALKBUCKETEERS:

Do not watch NBC prime time coverage because it is complete garbage! :mad: Watch the live stream instead. Hands down, it is far superior. If you cannot watch it at 3:00 PM (which it airs at every day this week), then watch a replay of it. I stayed off social media, and watched the replay of the men's team final last night and it was so amazing. I will be doing the same for the women tonight, and the men's all-around tomorrow, and the women's all-around, etc…

I will usually watch the NBC coverage after watching the live stream to hear the commentary and watch the little story pieces, but the live stream is such a better experience. The three live stream commentators, including Courtney Kupets and Jon Horton are really on top of their game and not incessantly negative like Tim Dagget.

I'm jealous of you Brits who get BBC and all the awesome, commercial free viewing you could ever want!

ATTENTION FELLOW CHALKBUCKETEERS:

Do not watch NBC prime time coverage because it is complete garbage! :mad: Watch the live stream instead. Hands down, it is far superior. If you cannot watch it at 3:00 PM (which it airs at every day this week), then watch a replay of it. I stayed off social media, and watched the replay of the men's team final last night and it was so amazing. I will be doing the same for the women tonight, and the men's all-around tomorrow, and the women's all-around, etc…

I will usually watch the NBC coverage after watching the live stream to hear the commentary and watch the little story pieces, but the live stream is such a better experience. The three live stream commentators, including Courtney Kupets and Jon Horton are really on top of their game and not incessantly negative like Tim Dagget.

I'm jealous of you Brits who get BBC and all the awesome, commercial free viewing you could ever want!

LOL, I posted a similar note on FB this morning and three people, not even gym parents, shared it immediately. I believe the hate for NBC is running very high, and likewise the love for Kupets and Horton.

The men's system needs an overhaul....they qualify 2nd in prelims and are basically out of it by the 2nd rotation in team finals...there has been some talk that they can't adopt the women's semi centralized system because a lot of their guys are in college and training and can't be pulled out a week a month to train in one place but sorry, Mikulak, Naddour, Dalton, Leyva, Brooks and even Orosco are all post college..the only one it would effect would be someone like an Akash Modi, who is at Stanford...usag should be training these guys in a more concentrated and consistent manner. The only thing consistent about them is their inconsistency! And it's not just one event, although they ALL need to be but in pommel jail and work pommel for the next 4 years...they have multiple mistakes on multiple events, even by veterans...yes, I'm looking at you Sam...who as good as he is, never hits 6 for 6.

There is always talk that "Simone could fall 3 times and still win"....and if that ever happened as regularly in women's competition( or at all), the powers that be on the women's side would see it as a problem that needed to be fixed...but not the men! They work hard and deserve a system that works...

I agree that we need help but i am going to put out some "excuses" albeit I think they are more valid reasons.

1. Smaller pool of gymnasts. Most boys quit by high school to pursue other sports.
2. Very very very few college programs. Another reason boys quit, making the pool of gymnasts smaller.
3. Smaller pool= less competition= less pressure
4. Boys train 6 events. Next quad, with only 4 allowed, you have to be great on all of them. This increases time in gym, overuse injuries.
5. Team is in college, not high school, making a central location harder. There are more national team members in college than just Akash.
6. Fewer college programs means fewer men continuing with gymnastics which means fewer qualified coaches, which means fewer JO programs which means smaller pool of gymnasts.

Now, I do agree that something needs to change. IMO it needs to start at the college level, with more boys able to do college gymnastics. This would be the #1 start imo. That woudl start the cycle of improving all levels. As far as training, we do need a central location with 1 main person in charge, even if it can't be a monthly training camp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back