Mental Block Help needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

TGM

My DD was doing beautiful multiple back-handsprings all summer until she landed wrong (on her neck-scared her and me!). Now she can't seem to do them in her routine unless a coach is spotting her. She is level 5 and must do this skill or she scratches the floor. She leaves practice in tears everyday--any ideas to help her get past this?

There are a ton of old posts here about fear. They are great to read the advice is really good.

Also there is a website called headgames.ws by Dr. Ali she writes great stuff about fear and conquering it.

Most gymnasts have been there at 1 tie or another my DD's struggle was with giants and she still regresses once and awhile...but has gained the skills of having a tight mind to recover quickly.

I really reccomend the advice and techniques of Dr. Ali.

Best wishe to you and her.

Oh my, oh my. The same exact thing happened to my DD this past June and she hasn't been the same since. She's lost all of her back tumbling and she's lost her confidence as a result. I think I need to find Dr. Ali's advice as well!

Welcome to the Chalk Bucket.. I found this site when my DD was going through a mental block with BHS's as well (she was on the beam though).. I just couldnt understand.. she had been doing them for 3 years and just lost it.

The other posters have good advice Dr. Ali knows gymnastics!

Also, my DD - Beetle, learned to start over, go back to progressions. Take it slow.. and finally for her and the BHS it was a terrible score in a meet when she had to compete a roundoff and fell.. that was the determination.. the next day she had them back..

Good luck with your DD! You will find lots of support here.

Welcome to the CB. My DD also has backwards mental blocks. The advice you've been given above is very good. You won't be alone in your struggles here. Please join the parent forum so you can reply to others there.

Welcome to the Chalk Bucket! Yes, many of us have had (or still have) DD in the same situation as you. You have found a great support system here!!! We are here for you & your DD!!! There are MANY wonderful old post on here, take some time to read through them. I have frequently recommended a series of videos by Doc Ali on the topic. They are called "Coaching through fear", but they are great for parents & gymmies(old enough to sit through them) to hear. She gives a GREAT over view about fear in gymnastics & the do's & don't's, etc. There are 8 parts, but each one isn't that long maybe 5-6 minutes??? Hey, it's a FREE Doc Ali seminar I'll take ALL I can get!!! I'll try to post the link. If it doesn't work just go to gymnastike.org, then click on "speakers", Alison Arnold. www.gymnastike.org/videos/speaker/1494-alison-arnold/73441-doc-ali-coaching-through-fear-part-1 Hope this helps someone out there! It worked wonders for my DD!:D

Too add to what other people have to offer...

Just so that you don't think your gymnast is alone, one of our L7s has been going through the same thing with her back tumbling during the end of last season. Being that she got to L7 through a normal/moderate progression, she had been doing BHSs for at least 6 or 7 years.

Oh, and welcome!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back