WAG Mental block

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey guys
I need to compete my backhandspring step out on beam this season and I’m just horrified of doing it! I just got home from practice and it’s always the same: I stand on the beam with my coach next to me but I just can’t do it! I tried everything, being positive thinking of success with the bh but when I stand on the beam my body or my brain idk just doesn’t allow me to do it! I always end up crying in the bathroom with my coach shouting at me to get out and get on the beam right away... by the way it’s NOT my coaches fault because she’s doing everything to help me with it she sat down with me for an hour four times to talk about the mental block I’m going through. Do you have any advice for me? I’m willing to try EVERYTHING!
Thank you!

Go back to basics. Build iT up. Its OK to tell your coaches you would like more time on the low beam/ wilde beam whatever
Thank you but that’s the exact problem! On the low/Wilde beam or with a coach spotting me I can do it flawlessly but when I’ve got to do it on my own it’s like nothing is there...

Have you tried stacking mats under the beam so you have no further to fall then on low beam, but you feel higher up and see the room from a higher position? You can then strip the mats out one at a time.

You can also try visualisation, meaning you take the information you have from doing the skill on low beam and spotted on high beam and use that to vividly imagine doing the skill perfectly on your own. It's basically a case of rehearsingng the skill mentally so that you get more comfortable with it in real life. It's best done in a calm, relaxed frame of mind, like in bed before you go to sleep. You should focus on proper technique and think how the skill will look, how it will feel, what you will see.

i know exactly what you are going through, i is happening with my flipping vault and hand hand on beam. i recently figured how to flip again, and i didn't think it would work at first but it did and you should give it a try. when you are standing up there only say one thing in your mind "i will go for it" do not think about your hands on the beam and only say that one thing in your brain. you will get enough courage to go for it and even though for lot of people my idea is so silly and "doesn't work" but trust, if you truly think only about just going and nothing about the skill really you will go. my friend is having the same thing but she fell and got scared and went to low beam and would not go but i told he my trip and sh did it. i believe you will go and do great.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back