Mental Blocks and Fears!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi Everyone!
So, I have this big problem with mental blocks and fears! Does anyone have any advice on what you can do to overcome these things? I have many, but a few include... Cartwheels and going all the way up to handstand on high beam (I'm scared of tipping over on them or not landing right!, Front handspring vaults (I've never been a really strong vaulter and actually going over the table and having to land scares me!), Being up on high bar (for things such as back hip circles or horizontal casts) I always feel like I'm going to fall!
I would so appreciate any tips or advice anyone would have, as I need to definitely get over these things if I want to move to the next level! Please help!

Beam trouble: Learn to fall safely. Practice to roll or turn out of the handstand, first on low beam and then on high beam. For the cartwheel it is important to do it exactly like on floor, also let your coach show you the correct foot position to asure a safe landing.

Vault trouble: Every gymast -some sooner, some later- at one point in their career discover one very important fact: That vault ACTUALLY gets easier, once you go for it! ;)

Bar trouble: I assume you can consistently do all those skills on low bar? If so, it is a mental thing. Remenber, the high bar is absolutly the same as the low bar, why should you fall on skills you normally don't fall on? The solution here is repetition, repetition, repetition. The fear will gradually disappear. Same goes for all the other events.

Thank you so much that really helped! Yes, I do have most of the skills consistent on a lower surface. It's just the height that usually scares me!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back