Mental blocks??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GB_Gymnast

Gymnast
Okay, so I need help. I love gymnastics. I really really, do. However, I have a meet in 1 week, and I have a serious block on my backhand spring on beam. It's like when I get up there, my body forgets how to do the skill.

Also, I seriously have a mental block on my tsukahara, although this isn't as serious because I have a back up plan.

i really need help within, because I have resorted to wanting to injure myself just to get out of it. but that's not working.

I used to have tons! My way to get over it was to do load of repetitions. Start out on a line and do 15 backhandsprings and then go to a low beam and do the same. If you are comfortable then slowly move the beam up, or if that's not possible put a fat mat and then a thinner one etc. The worst thing to do is just stand on the high beam saying you will do it when you know you won't- although it seems the best option at the time. Also if you see yourself to have gotten to the point where you can't work and are to upset go for a little break and then start fresh again after 10 minutes.
Good luck- once you get over it they will seem like nothing :)

Thank you gymnastflip, I think your advice sounds really good! I will try this tonight!
Thanks again. X

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket mobile app

when ever i have a mental block on beam, it always seems to help if i get someone to count out loud for me, i will do the piece of dance thats just before the skill as well, this puts my mind in competition mode! then i get my coach or a team mate to count to 3 out loud, i dont know why this works but at our club it seems to as thats what we all do hahaha! if we see someone is scared to go for a skill we just start counting without them even to have to ask anymore, it really works!:D

Then once you can do it with someone counting out loud for you try and count out loud yourself so stand on the beam, do the piece of dance before the skill and say to yourself '1,2,3 go!'

one other thing that helps us at our club is to cheer each other on and encourage each other!:D
Hope this helped :) x

Wow, katie123, I have never heard that one before, although my coach does a similar thing for me, he just says '5' then it's up to me to go, if I don't, he tells me to jump off :/ anyway, maybe saying each number will help, thank you! X

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back