Parents mid-meet season vent

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
So, every year I can't wait until meet season starts...so I can see the girls perform their new routines and see how they are going to score, etc. I even like packing up and heading out on weekend trips at the BEGINNING of meet season.

Right now, we are over halfway through the season with just 2 regular meets left and then states. At this point I just want it all to be over and have the girls start learning new stuff! I'm especially sick of watching level 6. I cannot even describe how much I dislike level 6. It seems like the judging is actually getting harder as the year goes on, either that or older DD is just getting tired and not performing as well. I honestly can't tell. It just all seems so negative and brutal! UGH!:(

I am so glad to have this weekend off. Maybe by next weekend...and the next meet...I will have a better attitude! ;)

Anyone else feel this way at this point in the season?

Yes, definitely feel the same. Usually it is around mid season I get the "I'm so done with it" feeling. Traveling, nerves, cost all play into it . This year has been tougher because my son, who competes another sport, has had competitions on the same weekends. Just adds to the stress. Dd's gym uptrains all year so she is constantly learning new skills but there is a definite difference in the practices during and after meet season. meet season is very stressful to her too, which ours me on edge more. And now that she is hurt (mild), we are battling the "is she going to be well enough for the next meet?" we also have 2 meets left before state. At this point, our goal is to not do any more damage so she can compete at states but she really want to compete at least one more before state...

As for judging, it's weird, some years I have seen judging get tougher as the season went on and other years not. the past couple years we have traveled outside our state for several meets so it's hard to compare scores as the judges tend to score a little different in each state.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Level 6 is THE hardest level for judging. They have to be perfect! That's why so many gyms opt to score out of 6 rather than endure a harrowing season of level 6 meets. My dd's 6 state meet was so harsh that the judges were actually told after the first session (of which my DD was in) to ease up. The winning bars of the 1st session was an 8.7! So hang in there, it will soon be over and you will be done with it forever!

I get the meet blues every year, and I thought level 7 would be different, but I'm not really finding it as fun as I thought it would be. I thought I'd enjoy watching new routines and different music. I feel they all kind of look the same after having watched too many. I mean yeah, they are different and not all the same, but forgive me, I still get bored. I guess I'm not a good gym mom:eek:
So, every year I can't wait until meet season starts...so I can see the girls perform their new routines and see how they are going to score, etc. I even like packing up and heading out on weekend trips at the BEGINNING of meet season.

Right now, we are over halfway through the season with just 2 regular meets left and then states. At this point I just want it all to be over and have the girls start learning new stuff! I'm especially sick of watching level 6. I cannot even describe how much I dislike level 6. It seems like the judging is actually getting harder as the year goes on, either that or older DD is just getting tired and not performing as well. I honestly can't tell. It just all seems so negative and brutal! UGH!:(

I am so glad to have this weekend off. Maybe by next weekend...and the next meet...I will have a better attitude! ;)

Anyone else feel this way at this point in the season?

You do need to be absolutely perfect in L6...one tiny, tiny mistake can take you down what seems like a whole point - my opinion is that floor and bars are judged the hardest.

My DDs bar routine keeps getting better and better (IMO), but her scores aren't going up...shes had a little movement when you compare her scores to her teammates, but her actual numeric scores are staying the same :/...it's frustrating.

It does get tiring around this time. Imagine what the gymnasts are feeling! Minor injuries dragging us down. Two meets then state here too!

You do need to be absolutely perfect in L6...one tiny, tiny mistake can take you down what seems like a whole point - my opinion is that floor and bars are judged the hardest.

My DDs bar routine keeps getting better and better (IMO), but her scores aren't going up...shes had a little movement when you compare her scores to her teammates, but her actual numeric scores are staying the same :/...it's frustrating.

part of the problem with bars is that the little improvements don't always warrant better scores. It is frustrating. Visually, you can see that it is a better routine (as in - she is getting there), but if they are still not hitting the height requirements, they won't score any better. We went through this at the beginning of last season with dd.

I felt that way this year but after state. DD's team does 2 "fun" meets after state in December and by the time the first meet came, I wished they had just been done in December. It's got to be harder with level 6, knowing how the scoring goes. Hang in there!! The end is in sight. :)

My dd has 2 travel meets coming up on back to back Fridays....not looking forward to it at all. Thankfully neither are at 8am so we can leave in the morning and get there in time to compete, but I hate the stress of trying to get caught up on what she missed at school while getting ready for another meet the next weekend. Hopefully States will not be on a Friday or she will miss 3 Fridays in 4 weeks.

My dd has 2 travel meets coming up on back to back Fridays....not looking forward to it at all. Thankfully neither are at 8am so we can leave in the morning and get there in time to compete, but I hate the stress of trying to get caught up on what she missed at school while getting ready for another meet the next weekend. Hopefully States will not be on a Friday or she will miss 3 Fridays in 4 weeks.

We have had several Friday meets this season as well. In fact we have one this weekend...leaving a little early from school and driving like mad to get there on time!!! I sincerely hope States are not on a Friday (or late Sunday night) for any of my girls!! Or for yours! :)

I can completely relate to what you are saying! Only 2 more meets before states for Alex as well. Then when it is all over I will miss all the hurrying about to get ready for a meet! IDK, a double edge sword I guess!
As for level 6 however, it makes me even more glad that Alex will only do 1 level 6 meet! And she is dreading it because all she has ever heard was that Level 6 is sooooo hard and the judging is really harsh! Plus, she only has 2 weeks to learn the routines. She has not worked compulsory routines in 2 years. Should be interesting to say the least!!

I can completely relate to what you are saying! Only 2 more meets before states for Alex as well. Then when it is all over I will miss all the hurrying about to get ready for a meet! IDK, a double edge sword I guess!
As for level 6 however, it makes me even more glad that Alex will only do 1 level 6 meet! And she is dreading it because all she has ever heard was that Level 6 is sooooo hard and the judging is really harsh! Plus, she only has 2 weeks to learn the routines. She has not worked compulsory routines in 2 years. Should be interesting to say the least!!

Good luck to Alex! She will be fine. If she has the skills she can get the mobility score easily...and that's all she needs to worry about. I do not blame you one single bit for not looking forward to it though. But then...onward and upward!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back